| FTBL Georgia-Alabama title game head ref admits big mistake made: ‘We had a miss’

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Georgia-Alabama title game head ref admits big mistake made: ‘We had a miss’

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

Let’s start by saying there’s nothing that will come from the admission.

Still, it is refreshing to hear an official admit a mistake was made.

Over the weekend, Dan Capron - who retired as a Big Ten referee - sat down with The Chicago Tribune to talk about his 20 years as an official. He discussed high-profile games, working with coaches like Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Bo Pelini.

Among the topics touched on, Capron worked the Georgia-Alabama national championship game to end the 2017 season. He said the officials got it wrong in the Tide’s 26-23 overtime win against the Bulldogs.

“We had a miss,” Capron told The Chicago Tribune. "Alabama was on the ropes. They were deep in their own territory and they’re punting. The punt gets blocked. There’s a flag on the ground because the line judge had Georgia offside. Oh, boy. He (Tyler Simmons) actually had a running start and timed it. He wasn’t offside.

“But that wasn’t my call. The blocking backs, a split-second before the snap, moved. That was a false start. That should have been my call. It still wouldn’t have been a blocked punt but instead a 5-yard penalty against the offense. You never want to make a mistake of any kind in such a high-profile atmosphere.”

Here’s the play.

Georgia was leading 13-0 in the third quarter and it was the Dawgs’ game to lose.

As you may recall, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa capped a second-half comeback with a 41-yard touchdown pass in overtime to fellow freshman DeVonta Smith in the 26-23 win over Georgia to give the Tide a fifth national championship in nine years.

Interesting article but I don't buy it. It is easy to find a lot of plays in that game that was not called right. Is Ga turning into LSU? Would 5 yards made that much of a difference? Look at this video. From this angle it looks like he timed it just right, but if any part of your body is over the line, it is a penalty. From the refs angle it might look different.

Interesting article but I don't buy it. It is easy to find a lot of plays in that game that was not called right. Is Ga turning into LSU? Would 5 yards made that much of a difference? Look at this video. From this angle it looks like he timed it just right, but if any part of your body is over the line, it is a penalty. From the refs angle it might look different.

I think the real point is it would have been UGA's ball in scoring position. Much different game at 16-0 or 20-0 than 13-0 with the ball on the UGA end of the field. Would have been a deeper hole to come back from.

I think the real point is it would have been UGA's ball in scoring position. Much different game at 16-0 or 20-0 than 13-0 with the ball on the UGA end of the field. Would have been a deeper hole to come back from.
But it would not have been Georgia's ball - they also missed Bama false start, so there would have been no blocked punt. You can't have a play if you have a false start.

Read an article in the last week that they've doubled down on recruiting, specifically spending more money.

Football recruiting expenses jumped more than $1 million to $3.7 million in the most recent fiscal year. The Bulldogs already led the nation in the previous fiscal year—by $250,000 more than Alabama — according to numbers reported by USA TODAY.

At some point, they're gonna figure it out... Tennessee and Florida may object soon. If Tennessee can be patient with Pruitt, he's going to be a force there. They should have had 10 wins this season.

i guarantee you'll hear a bunch of uga fans talking about this one (a la texas fans back in 2009....and still) like this one play would have made a total difference in the outcome of the game. sure it could've made a difference on this drive. but who's to say that after we punt the ball, we run down, nail their receiver, he fumbles, and we pick it up and run it in for a score?

or, you know, any of a hundred other things that can happen during any given play during any given game.

i guarantee you'll hear a bunch of uga fans talking about this one (a la texas fans back in 2009....and still) like this one play would have made a total difference in the outcome of the game. sure it could've made a difference on this drive. but who's to say that after we punt the ball, we run down, nail their receiver, he fumbles, and we pick it up and run it in for a score?

or, you know, any of a hundred other things that can happen during any given play during any given game.
Doesn’t matter.... as @Secondand26 pointed out ...was still a penalty....
Takes breaks to win a championship.....was a break..

Back
Top Bottom