| FTBL Gameday Parking

mhl6493

My wife and I, along with our 3-year-old daughter, will be attending our very first Alabama game this Saturday as Alabama takes on Houston. Having never been to an Alabama game before, the parking situation is a bit of a concern for me -- especially since our little girl will be with us. I'd like to find a place that's not too incredibly far from BDS, but that also will allow a relatively painless and not-so-long exit from Tuscaloosa after the game via McFarland Blvd. to US 82 to Montgomery. From looking at the UA Gameday website, it looks like one of the best options might be parking at University Mall and paying to ride the trolley back and forth to the stadium. What do you think -- are there better options that we ought to consider?

Thanks in advance, and Roll Tide!

When i go to a game, which i will admit i haven't gone to one lately on Paul Bryant Drive theres a church on the left if your driving toward the stadium. Not sure the name of it but its about 3 blocks from the stadium. They charge something like 20 bucks to park. Once you go past Bryant Museum start looking to your left. Once the game is over Paul Bryant Drive will be a one way back to McFarland and you can get to where you need to go from there.

You could go up 15th st. It intersects McFarland at University Mall. There you will find Central High School. $10 parking. There's always police officers on the corner at the red light. It's pretty safe. They have restrooms open. It's about 4/5 blocks straight out from BDS.

mine said:
You could go up 15th st. It intersects McFarland at University Mall. There you will find Central High School. $10 parking. There's always police officers on the corner at the red light. It's pretty safe. They have restrooms open. It's about 4/5 blocks straight out from BDS.

I'd recommend this as well.

Thanks for the input. Both of those sound like very good options.

From your experience, if we arrive around 12:00 (2 hours before kickoff), will we have any trouble getting a spot in either of these lots? We could possibly get there earlier if its absolutely necessary, but I really don't want to put up with a cranky 3-year-old all day because she got up too early if I can avoid it!

Thanks again for your help!

mhl6493 said:

From your experience, if we arrive around 12:00 (2 hours before kickoff), will we have any trouble getting a spot in either of these lots? We could possibly get there earlier if its absolutely necessary, but I really don't want to put up with a cranky 3-year-old all day because she got up too early if I can avoid it!

If you get there at noon, the Central lot might already be full, especially since it will be HC any many folks will be arriving on campus earlier than normal for the parade and stuff. It is hard to say though, the lot is pretty big.

For the Georgia game they parked people up on that big "grass" patch" around the school, it seemed even if the actual spots are taken there will still be places to park. Personally, I've never seen Central fill up like it did against Georgia, even when it's near game time (we sometimes go back to the car before kickoff). You should be able to get a spot at Central.

On 10th Ave between 15th St. and the RR tracks, there is a home improvement business(carpet/lumber/tile) that has a fenced lot and has their restrooms open. They locked the fence after they filled up and stayed there during the game.

I parked there twice last year. I think it was $25.
It's the street that goes by Evergreen cemetery right up to the stadium, about a 5 block walk.

When I left, I just drove 10th strait out to I359, I59.

map

Porterhouse said:
mhl6493 said:

If you get there at noon, the Central lot might already be full, especially since it will be HC any many folks will be arriving on campus earlier than normal for the parade and stuff. It is hard to say though, the lot is pretty big.

Hi mlh. First of all, welcome to the board. Second, I have the most trouble parking at homecoming every year...more so than the Auburn game, UT game, etc...

As Porter mentioned fans come early and stay all day for festivities. Central could very well be full by then. Have a back-up just in case. I love parking at Central, but I've never seen it still available 2 hours before kick.

Porterhouse said:
mine said:

I'd recommend this as well.

I did this before, and I would also recommend it.

BamaDelta,

Wow, sounds like I better have a Plan B in mind. If you had to pick a backup plan, what would you suggest? I'm really not all that familiar with Tuscaloosa. We've been to a couple of basketball games at Coleman before, but getting there is a piece of cake. It sounds like football is a different animal altogether...

Thanks again everyone!

BigAl said:
When i go to a game, which i will admit i haven't gone to one lately on Paul Bryant Drive theres a church on the left if your driving toward the stadium. Not sure the name of it but its about 3 blocks from the stadium. They charge something like 20 bucks to park. Once you go past Bryant Museum start looking to your left. Once the game is over Paul Bryant Drive will be a one way back to McFarland and you can get to where you need to go from there.
Thats where we have parked for the last few years. They church also has a/c and usually the restrooms are very clean ( there are the occasional people who mess it up.. but yeah its a short walk to the stadium to bryant museum, to the quad.. I think its the perfect place to park.

Have any of you actually used the trolley from University Mall to and from the stadium? Is this a good option for us to consider as a back-up plan, or is it more trouble than it's worth?

mhl6493 said:
BamaDelta,

Wow, sounds like I better have a Plan B in mind. If you had to pick a backup plan, what would you suggest? I'm really not all that familiar with Tuscaloosa. We've been to a couple of basketball games at Coleman before, but getting there is a piece of cake. It sounds like football is a different animal altogether...

Thanks again everyone!

To be honest I don't know a back up. The only time I couldn't park @ Central was at HC maybe last year.

The only place I knew to go at that point was on campus. For the HC and AU games I parked on campus in a deck near Fraternity Row and Biology building. To me once you park on that side of campus you're accepting a long wait and lots of traffic though.

Parking at Central gives you NO atmosphere and no campus, but it gives you a super easy out with very little traffic. Parking on campus gives you all the college atmosphere, the Quad, all the activities, etc... For the HC and AU games last year I wanted all that atmosphere and was willing to give up the quick and easy (3 hours to get to B'ham!).

Anyway, I haven't tried the shuttle from the mall. I've always thought about it as a back-up. It would be a LOT less walking for your child. They pick up right by the stadium and run the shuttles frequently, but they do get stuck in game day traffic coming and going to pick up.

I hate to tell you, but I think you'd probably fare better getting there earlier. Then again I start to get a little panicky if I'm not parked by 3 hours before kick. My ideal is 4-5 hours before game time for parking...so maybe don't listen to me. :wink: It just gets so darn crowded the closer to the game.

Good luck and enjoy your 1st game. :)

Thanks for your advice, BamaDelta. You're probably right. If we leave Opp by 6:30, we should be in Tuscaloosa around 10:00. Our daughter will hopefully make up the difference by sleeping on the way up. Otherwise, can you say "looong day"? My wife will be a WRECK by the time we get home! :D

Back
Top Bottom