| NEWS Gamecocks avoid major basketball punishments from NCAA over Lamont Evans violations - The State

S

SEC Sports

Former South Carolina men’s basketball assistant coach Lamont Evans violated NCAA ethical conduct rules, according to a decision released Thursday by the Division I Committee on Infractions.

As a result of Evans’ actions, South Carolina self-imposed several penalties that the NCAA accepted. Those penalties include two years probation, a $5,000 fine and various limits placed on recruiting during the 2020-21 and/or 2021-22 academic years, according to an official NCAA news release.

However, South Carolina avoided more severe penalties that come with a Level 1 violation — the most severe violation possible — such as scholarship reduction, vacated wins or a postseason ban.

A notice of allegations sent to USC in January 2020 said that Evans took money in the form of bribes in exchange for trying to sway former USC point guard P.J. Dozier to sign with a specific agency when he turned pro. It did not allege any wrongdoing by the school, head coach Frank Martin or any current staff members.

The violations stemmed from a U.S. Department of Justice investigation of fraud and corruption in college basketball that was announced in September 2017.

A three-year investigation conducted by the DOJ and NCAA found that Evans accepted “approximately $3,300 and $5,800 in bribes from an individual associated with a professional sports agent,” according to the NCAA release.

But the investigation also determined that Evans “did not provide impermissible benefits to South Carolina student-athletes” and that “the assistant coach did not involve other South Carolina employees in his conduct.” According to the decision, Evans accepted the bribe money but “did not actually arrange any meetings between student-athletes and agents” while he was employed at South Carolina.

”I am proud of how our department handled this situation,” USC athletic director Ray Tanner said through a statement. “Once we became aware of this situation, we were proactive in determining what happened and worked in cooperation with the Department of Justice and the NCAA. The NCAA’s acceptance of our self-imposed sanctions validates our commitment and the work done by our compliance staff, administration and coaches.”

Evans coached for the Gamecocks from 2012-16 before leaving for Oklahoma State, where Evans was also charged with accepting bribe money. Evans pleaded guilty to bribery charges and in June of 2019 was sentenced to three months in prison.

The NCAA also saddled Evans with a 10-year show-cause order, which means that any NCAA member school employing him during that period “must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply.”

Compared to South Carolina, Oklahoma State received harsher penalties from the NCAA in regard to Evans’ actions, receiving a postseason ban, three years probation and a reduction in scholarships through the 2022-23 season.

The committee acknowledged those discrepancies and explained in its decision that “although the assistant coach’s conduct while employed at Oklahoma State flowed from the same general scheme, there are important differences that warrant the distinct penalties in each case.”

The decision listed five reasons why South Carolina’s penalties were less severe:

▪ The case at USC involved “significantly less bribe money;”

▪ Evans did not provide impermissible benefits to USC student-athletes;

▪ Evans did not involve other USC coaches;

▪ the violations occurred over a shorter period of time; and

▪ Evans did not arrange any meetings between student-athletes and agents or financial advisors while employed at South Carolina.

Last February, Martin said Evans’ actions were an “isolated matter” that did not involve the coaching staff or players, adding that he was “at peace” knowing he doesn’t cheat.

“As I have said throughout my entire career, I lead my program with transparency, an open-door policy and with integrity — it is in my heart and it is at the core of who I am,” Martin said in a statement released Thursday. “We move forward, and I’m thankful to have this situation behind us.”

Back
Top Bottom