| NEWS From Alabama to Vanderbilt, here is your look around SEC spring football - Chattanooga Times Free Press

S

SEC Sports

Four league teams will go through drills with new head coaches

Move over XFL, spring football is cranking up around the Southeastern Conference.

Vanderbilt and South Carolina were the first SEC teams to start their 15 spring workouts allotted by the NCAA, doing so earlier this week. The Commodores and Gamecocks also will be the first to conduct their spring games, with Vanderbilt's finale scheduled for Friday, April 3, and South Carolina's the next day.

Given that those two Eastern Division programs combined to go 7-17 last season, these are some important days for Vandy coach Derek Mason and South Carolina counterpart Will Muschamp, but Muschamp did weigh in on the XFL this week when asked about the fledgling professional league during a news conference.

I think the kickoff may be where we're headed," Muschamp said. "I think it's an interesting concept. It keeps the kickoff in the game, and it eliminates some of the collisions that I think we're trying to get away from, so I think that's a really, really interesting new rule that I think may be something we're headed to."

Here's a look around the SEC:

ALABAMA
Spring game:
April 18

Snapshot: The Crimson Tide's 14th spring under Nick Saban will be the first one without strength coach Scott Cochran, who left Tuscaloosa this week to become special teams coach at Georgia. Redshirt junior Mac Jones will have a head start in replacing Tua Tagovailoa as the starting quarterback, but a lot of eyes will be on sophomore Taulia Tagovailoa and five-star freshman Bryce Young. The talented roster includes several players who bypassed the NFL, most notably running back Najee Harris, left tackle Alex Leatherwood and inside linebacker Dylan Moses, but this will be the lowest A-Day crowd of the Saban era. Due to some construction at Bryant-Denny Stadium, the capacity for the spring game will be around 35,000.

ARKANSAS
Spring game:
April 25

Snapshot: Sam Pittman and Feleipe Franks spent recent years at rival schools, with Pittman as Georgia's offensive line coach and with Franks as Florida's quarterback. Now they're the top faces of the Razorbacks, with Pittman having been hired as head coach to replace Chad Morris and with Franks arriving in Fayetteville as a graduate transfer. Arkansas tried to hold its spring game at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock but had that request denied several days ago by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey.

AUBURN
Spring game:
April 11

Snapshot: Replacing five starters on the offensive line and the terrific tandem of Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson on the defensive front will be among the top chores for eighth-year coach Gus Malzahn. Bo Nix, the SEC's freshman of the year, should be more seasoned at quarterback, and there is sizable hype surrounding a pair of early enrollees — running back Tank Bigsby and defensive end Zykeivous Walker. The A-Day game will kick off a lengthy celebration of Auburn's 2010 national championship team that had Gene Chizik as head coach, Malzahn as offensive coordinator and Cam Newton at quarterback.

FLORIDA
Spring game:
April 18

Snapshot: Not since the Tim Tebow era have the Gators had such stability returning at quarterback, thanks to Kyle Trask guiding Florida to an 11-2 record last season that culminated with an Orange Bowl win. Replacing edge rushers Jonathan Greenard and Jabari Zuniga will be among the objectives, with Georgia transfer Brenton Cox a possible replacement. Florida is making three practices before the spring contest — March 16, March 22 and April 2 — open to the general public.

GEORGIA
Spring game:
April 18

Snapshot: The Bulldogs could have a new look offensively with the additions of coordinator Todd Monken and Wake Forest graduate-transfer quarterback Jamie Newman, but whether that's drastic or not remains to be seen and spring games are not often a showcase for such transformations. Still, given that Georgia returns most of the contributors from the nation's top scoring defense, it will be interesting to learn whether an offense without Jake Fromm, D'Andre Swift, Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Wilson can move the ball with some success against veteran defenders. Georgia's coaching clinic will be March 26-28, and it includes a visit from the league's other Bulldogs coach — Mississippi State's Mike Leach.

KENTUCKY
Spring game:
April 11

Snapshot: In the past four seasons, the Wildcats have produced three 1,000-yard rushing performances by running back Benny Snell and last year's 1,468-yard outburst from receiver-turned-quarterback Lynn Bowden. Kentucky had one of the nation's top five offensive lines last year, according to Pro Football Focus, which rates center Drake Jackson, guard Luke Fortner and tackle Darian Kinnard as the SEC's most productive returning players at their positions. What Kentucky's offense looks like in 2020 will depend on the quarterback. Terry Wilson, who tore a patellar tendon in his left knee during the second game last season against Eastern Michigan, will not go through spring drills. That leaves an opening for Auburn transfer Joey Gatewood, who has yet to attain immediate eligibility for the 2020 season.

LSU
Spring game:
April 18

Snapshot: The reigning national champion is coming off the dominant surge of closing wins against Texas A&M, Georgia, Oklahoma and Clemson by a combined 122 points, but a whopping 16 members of that team were invited to the NFL combine currently taking place in Indianapolis. Myles Brennan will be under the microscope as the early candidate to replace Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Joe Burrow, with Scott Linehan now the passing-game coordinator, having replaced Joe Brady, who is now the offensive coordinator of the NFL's Carolina Panthers. Due to field resurfacing at Tiger Stadium, the LSU spring game will be held at Southern University's Mumford Stadium, which has a capacity of 28,500.

OLE MISS
Spring game:
April 18

Snapshot: Whether it was his one year at Tennessee developing Jonathan Crompton or his three years at Alabama working with Blake Sims, Jake Coker and Jalen Hurts, new Rebels coach Lane Kiffin owns a marvelous track record of quarterback enhancement. Kiffin enters his first spring in Oxford with two very different quarterbacks — Matt Corral and John Rhys Plumlee — seeking to run an offense that has standout sophomore running back Jerrion Ealy. Ole Miss has assembled quite the weekend for Kiffin's first spring game, with the Rebels hosting 2019 national champion Vanderbilt in baseball and preseason No. 1 Alabama in softball.

MISSISSIPPI STATE
Spring game:
April 11

Snapshot: New Bulldogs coach Mike Leach has been synonymous with developing college football's top passing offenses, taking in the unheralded likes of Gardner Minshew and turning him into an 11-win quarterback. His primary options for his first starting quarterback in Starkville are Stanford graduate transfer K.J. Costello and returning sophomore Garrett Shrader. Leach has taken the reins just two years after Joe Moorhead was the new coach, and Moorhead's first spring game drew an announced crowd of 36,789, which set a program record.

MISSOURI
Spring game:
April 11

Snapshot: Eli Drinkwitz is among the SEC's four new head coaches for 2020, and he takes over the program with the best 2019 record of the four, with Missouri's 6-6 mark edging Mississippi State (6-7) and topping Ole Miss (4-8) and Arkansas (2-10). The Tigers were often a disaster up front on offense last season, which was reflected in five consecutive losses to SEC East counterparts in which Missouri averaged just 9.4 points. Aiding the offense this spring will be graduate-transfer receiver Damon Hazelton, who had 31 catches for 527 yards and eight touchdowns last season at Virginia Tech to earn All-ACC recognition.

SOUTH CAROLINA
Spring game:
April 4

Snapshot: The Gamecocks started their fifth spring under Will Muschamp on Wednesday, and it's their first with offensive coordinator Mike Bobo, a former Georgia teammate of Muschamp who called plays for the Bulldogs under Mark Richt from 2007 to 2014. Bobo has the services of returning quarterback Ryan Hilinski, who has been cleared after tearing a meniscus late last season, but South Carolina returns just 20% of its rushing output and 43% of its receiving output from the team that disappointed with a 4-8 record. The Gamecocks must replace Javon Kinlaw and D.J. Wonnum along the defensive front, which is the responsibility of new position coach Tracy Rocker.

TENNESSEE
Spring game:
April 18

Snapshot: There is understood optimism across the Volunteer State following the six victories to close last season, but Tennessee has been better represented at the NFL combine compared to recent years. That has the replacement of receivers Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway and linebackers Daniel Bituli and Darrell Taylor as obvious objectives in the weeks ahead. Tennessee could use a far more stable season at quarterback compared to 2019, with Jarrett Guarantano having the slight edge over fellow returnees Brian Maurer and J.T. Shrout after rallying the Vols in the Gator Bowl. Joining the competition is early enrollee Harrison Bailey, who was a top-100 national signee in the 2020 class.

TEXAS A&M
Spring game:
April 18

Snapshot: No SEC team may receive more hype in the months ahead than the Aggies, who return top quarterback Kellen Mond, top rusher Isaiah Spiller, top receiver Jhamon Ausbon, and eight of their top 10 tacklers from last season. Texas A&M also has an unbelievably favorable schedule that starts with Abilene Christian, North Texas and four teams breaking in new coaches — Colorado, Arkansas, Mississippi State and Fresno State — before a trip to Auburn. Couple the excitement in Jimbo Fisher's third season with the renovations in Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa, and Texas A&M should have one of the largest SEC spring-game attendance figures.

VANDERBILT
Spring game:
April 3

Snapshot: The Commodores were the first SEC team to get things going, starting Derek Mason's seventh spring on Tuesday. No program within the league has a steeper climb, with Vanderbilt having to enhance a defense that allowed 436.6 yards and 31.8 points per game last season and retool an offense that no longer has running back Ke'Shawn Vaughn, receiver Kalija Lipscomb and tight end Jared Pinckney. Todd Fitch and Ted Roof are Vanderbilt's two new coordinators with the towering tasks, and there is also the matter of the Commodores not having a quarterback who has taken an SEC snap.

After all these many years...Terry... i do find it hard to remember them all....
So while the names are familiar..... NO I do not really....and when I do.... usually get them confused with some one else
O-hum....
Ben Pollard was the S&C coach that Franchoine brought in when he was in Tuscaloosa. He was well respected and we all saw the results on the field during his time under Franchione. When Shula was hired, Pollard was retained, and that season we saw the physical condition of the team decline.

Rocky, when he was brought back to Tuscaloosa, was lauded because he represented a "return to the lower gym mentality." The stories that were circulating about players being pushed to their limits, throwing up in trash cans and the like, were all over the place. The physicality the team had seemingly lost under Pollard was going to be 'fixed' by Colburn. We didn't see any improvement.

Back in 2007 there was a pretty large section of Bama fans who were categorizing the hiring of a S&C guy from the New Orleans Hornets as a bad thing. Fans were looking at the preceding four years (in the light of a weak team) and wondered "how on earth is a NBA guy going to toughen up a football team?" Scott Cochran was that NBA guy, by the way.

Here's the thing concerning Cochran leaving and how it'll be felt. It's my view this is a much ado about little. Why?

Pollard. That first year under Shula did Ben forget what made the teams as strong as they were under Fran? Did Rocky, after years of experience in the league and other places, find himself in a situation where S&C coaching had passed him by when he returned to Tuscaloosa? Did Scott suddenly stumble on the way to build a football team from a strength and conditioning aspect when he stepped foot on campus at UA?

No. No. And, no.

I was having a few beers with a member here the day I started the thread about Scott leaving. As we chatted the conversation moved to these guys and my point to him was this. These guys, all of them, were only as good as their head coach allowed them to be. Pollard and Colburn would have been great for the program IF they had the support and direction from the head coach. They didn't. They didn't even have the support of some of the position coaches: see Bob Connelly.

Cochran has been great for the program; no doubt. But let's not forget his job was to manage Saban's S&C program. His departure means Alabama lost a strength coach. It doesn't mean they lost their S&C program. Anyone choosing to point their boat in that direction...well, they're rudderless.

Ben Pollard was the S&C coach that Franchoine brought in when he was in Tuscaloosa. He was well respected and we all saw the results on the field during his time under Franchione. When Shula was hired, Pollard was retained, and that season we saw the physical condition of the team decline.

Rocky, when he was brought back to Tuscaloosa, was lauded because he represented a "return to the lower gym mentality." The stories that were circulating about players being pushed to their limits, throwing up in trash cans and the like, were all over the place. The physicality the team had seemingly lost under Pollard was going to be 'fixed' by Colburn. We didn't see any improvement.

Back in 2007 there was a pretty large section of Bama fans who were categorizing the hiring of a S&C guy from the New Orleans Hornets as a bad thing. Fans were looking at the preceding four years (in the light of a weak team) and wondered "how on earth is a NBA guy going to toughen up a football team?" Scott Cochran was that NBA guy, by the way.

Here's the thing concerning Cochran leaving and how it'll be felt. It's my view this is a much ado about little. Why?

Pollard. That first year under Shula did Ben forget what made the teams as strong as they were under Fran? Did Rocky, after years of experience in the league and other places, find himself in a situation where S&C coaching had passed him by when he returned to Tuscaloosa? Did Scott suddenly stumble on the way to build a football team from a strength and conditioning aspect when he stepped foot on campus at UA?

No. No. And, no.

I was having a few beers with a member here the day I started the thread about Scott leaving. As we chatted the conversation moved to these guys and my point to him was this. These guys, all of them, were only as good as their head coach allowed them to be. Pollard and Colburn would have been great for the program IF they had the support and direction from the head coach. They didn't. They didn't even have the support of some of the position coaches: see Bob Connelly.

Cochran has been great for the program; no doubt. But let's not forget his job was to manage Saban's S&C program. His departure means Alabama lost a strength coach. It doesn't mean they lost their S&C program. Anyone choosing to point their boat in that direction...well, they're rudderless.
No doubt it is Saban's S&C. The thing I think will be missed is the relationships that he had with the players. Can that be replaced sure... To me this is not the end of the world but we should not act like it is insignificant either. Cochran has been a constant and part of the core for a lot of these players. How does that impact the team in terms of performance? I do not know but we will see. I was hoping we would have a S&C named by now. Not sure why that is not the case yet.

@mando, agreed. It's one of the reason I mentioned a few days ago that a guy like Wilson Love wouldn't work because it would be too evident it was an attempt at Cochran 2.0. A new guy, building those relationships, likely won't be successful if he's just imitating Cochran.

There are a few moving parts here including what the new sports science center addition brings, the new direction they're taking, along with a guy who is going to be that "face" the players see morning, noon, and night.

I mentioned earlier in the week I knew of three guys in the mix but I only know of one that's interviewed. Monday, or maybe Tuesday, I was told Saban "had his guy" and has for awhile now. Whether that means "he's got an agreement" or it means "he knows the #1 guy he's after" is something we'll see play out.

Check this out. You've watched crime drama's on TV and seen bulletin boards with pictures, names, evidence, and other things all linked by pieces of yarn, right. Sort of like this ...

untitled_8_3.png

There are several aspects at play here that are all linked together. As example, the way offenses are played and the way rules have leaned towards it being an offensive game has played a huge part in where the S&C program is headed today.

It's my belief more details will come out, publicly, about this whole story. We'll talk about it more as the next few weeks go by. Right now it's almost like a Friday afternoon news dump...it's about the PR angle and subsequent reactions from the media and some fans. Does that make sense or am I "wordsmithing" again? I'm not trying to be coy, or vague, but I will admit I'm not comfortable being the guy that puts all of this out there.

But again...I am confident you'll know more, soon.

@TerryP thanks for the feedback. Interesting point you made about Saban possibly not going after the Oregon guy based on a core belief of his. Is that what you think is happening in that situation? I ask because it felt like this guy was likely all but a done deal then silence.

@mando, it's a "consider the source" scenario with Feld. I know he was in the mix, but to what degree I can't tell you. I suspect it was "what do you think about..."

FWIW, the story about Feld to Bama started with an Oregon blogger suggesting it might happen. Considering his ties to the state of Alabama, it clicked with a lot of fans and became "this is the guy." He's a "science guy." As the Internet ran with Feld I thought it was a good move to tell you guys to look at the guy from Kansas State (as well as Feld and the guy from IU.)

Michigan State's AD talking to Saban about Tucker is no different than a conversation Saban might have with a guy like Feld, ya know?

Back
Top Bottom