| FTBL Former Bama coaches speak out

Denny Chimes

Verified Member
I'm not a huge fan of Hayes (or any journalist other than Cecil Hurt :wink: ) but this one is ok.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=222755

Franchione: "Those players will play hard for the crimson jersey. I remember my first few weeks there, we offered a young man (tight end Clint Johnson) a scholarship, and he didn't live that far away. He came back every weekend and helped us recruit. We're in the locker room one recruiting weekend and guys are trying on their jerseys. I'm just making small talk and I said to him, 'Did you like this aspect of your visit?'

"He looked at me -- and I'll never forget this -- and said, 'You didn't have to offer me a scholarship. Just the chance to wear that jersey was all I wanted.' The hair on my arms stood up and I got chills. I still get chills now just thinking about it."

Clint Johnston is a fine young man who played hard for the Tide. It's a shame injuries ended his career early.

The truth of it is.....it takes more than "a coach" to win at Alabama. It takes a special person-one that has "been there and done that" so to speak. You have to understand going in that it is the toughest job in the country because of the astronomical standards that Coach Bryant set for the school. We expect to win every game....because every game is winnable. If you have good enough coaching you can win every game. It's relating to the players and fans in a way that you possess their thoughts and feelings..where you can make them think they can do things that they really can't. That's what Coach Bryant did and that's why he is the only coach to ever win 6 national titles. Nick Saban possesses this characteristic as well. I just hope the few ignorant fans out there dont drive him out of Tuscaloosa before he wins 3 national titles and 7 SEC titles in 15 years.

"I just hope the few ignorant fans out there dont drive him out of Tuscaloosa before he wins 3 national titles and 7 SEC titles in 15 years."

I think unrealistic expectations could be the cause of many coach burnouts.

Back
Top Bottom