| FTBL šŸˆ Fall camp: 2024: Special Micā€™d up Fall Camp Edition with Jeff Allen, Director of Sports Medicine. šŸ˜

DL- Another deep position group, this one with a solid mixture of experienced and talented players. A healthy Jehiem Oatis is a very valuable commodity with Tim Keenan backing him up. Then you've got Damon Payne, Tim Smith, LT Overton, Jah-Marien Latham, and James Smith who are all pretty stout players as well... and that's a pretty good group to carry into a long SEC season. James Smith just needs to find his consistency, which will come with time, but his potential runneth over. Jordan Renaud is in the same boat... he just needs time and reps. The staff is expecting this unit to be the strength of the defense, and if they can live up to those expectations, they'll really take some pressure off the young secondary. There's also some really promising younger guys waiting their turn, would not be shocking if one of them came out of nowhere late in the season and proved to be ready for the bigtime... a guy like Hunter Osborne? Jeremiah Beaman?
Undervalued: Jamey Mosley.

I'm continuing to hear about the different mindsets in the DL room. If this continues to progress like it is, the "concerns" over a young defensive backfield dissipate. And those guys are showing a lot of progression.

Under-reported: The progress of the whole QB room. I don't know how they got Ty's dad to stand down, but he has. That's a humble kid by all appearances. Crazily enough, this is becoming a room just like when Tua and Jalen were leading the corps. If one goes down, they're good with #2.

Coach mentioned it in the presser...how he's doing with his deep ball. He was good at that last year.

Remaining cautiously optimistic...but geez.

I'm continuing to hear about the different mindsets in the DL room. If this continues to progress like it is, the "concerns" over a young defensive backfield dissipate. And those guys are showing a lot of progression.

You're walking all over my post in the bullpen.... LOL

You're walking all over my post in the bullpen.... LOL
This is the crazy thing about our "relationship" here. I've never met you face to face. Talked with you for years.

I KNOW we don't have the same friends. We don't "run" in the same circles. (Outside of Kirk, Lance, Tim.) I can't fathom the number of times, since Keith asked me to "work" over here, that you've said something that I'd already heard. It's a bit uncanny at times. But, it's pretty damn cool.

It's time for the strikes, those right down the middle, to come out of the bullpen.

I wish I had more time to post. Just too much crap going on right now.

Under-valued. The WR room. And this goes back to the QB room conversation.

I've had three people tell me about the drill they are running with the QB's throwing the ball, on purpose, behind the WR's. This is me, putting that in perspective. They are telling the QB's to throw behind the guy. That's an accuracy drill. Win. It's forcing the WR's to adjust to a bad throw. Win.

In my life, as much as I've followed football, I've never heard or dreamed of "make a mistake to help that guy." It still makes me, literally, shake my head a bit.

Call this a practice report:

The RB's are coming out of the backfield on routes that are a lot like the wheel routes we've seen for years. As one example the offense has been lined up on the far hashmark. Wheel route to the left sideline. Where would you expect the ball to be? The RB is looking back, over his right shoulder, right?

They were purposefully throwing it to his left shoulder to create an in route adjustment.

A few years ago I pointed to Enos with Jalen and said, "best improvement I've seen in an off-season." As much as I see Enos as a "fill in the blank" he did a hell of a job with that QB room. He's not third tier any more.

I know I've said this a few times. I'm just sitting back and watching. But good lord, Brandon. This is my forecast for this fall. There are going to be A LOT of rival fan bases that are...shall we say, taking a deep breath.

Under-reported: The progress of the whole QB room. I don't know how they got Ty's dad to stand down, but he has. That's a humble kid by all appearances. Crazily enough, this is becoming a room just like when Tua and Jalen were leading the corps. If one goes down, they're good with #2.

Coach mentioned it in the presser...how he's doing with his deep ball. He was good at that last year.

Remaining cautiously optimistic...but geez.

Wonder if Ty had a talk with him?

IMG_1274.jpeg

From the bullpen... Again, nothing earth shattering and probably a healthy dose of redundancy, but if it's something you've seen on here multiple times at this point, there's probably a good reason for it. It ended up being a longer post than I anticipated, so no worries if you skip right on past it.

There's some good young leadership on this squad. DeBoer gives his teams a lot of equity and ownership, it's player driven in a number of ways. It's not unusual at all for the upperclassmen to be the natural leaders, but I'm told a few from this freshman class are stepping up into those roles as well. There have been a couple of seasons in recent years when overall leadership was lacking... while it's very early, it appears that won't be an issue with this team.

As a whole, this is a group that isn't bothered by putting in the work. A lot of guys are working their ass off to get better on and off the field, and that's probably helped by the leadership of guy's like Milroe, Booker, & Moore who set the tone by doing it themselves. Milroe for example puts in a LOT of extra time at the complex... and if you look at some recent successful QB's from the SEC through the years, that's a common thread among them.

Early reviews on Ryan WIlliams have been really positive. Obviously, the comparisons to DeVonta Smith popped up early in his recruitment, and for good reason. Build wise and ability wise, things are on par. Smith had that special strand of DNA where he wasn't going to be outworked and he played bigger, stronger, faster, and more technically sound because of it. He was also tough as hell. While it's early, Williams shows some of those same traits but he might be slightly more naturally gifted. He's impressed thus far with both his play and his attitude. Keep in mind, age wise, he should be getting ready for his Sr. year at Saraland right now, not running with the 1's in Tuscaloosa. [On a side note: it will be interesting to see who has the better CFB career/who gets drafted higher in 3 years... Ryan Williams or auburn's Cam Coleman]

Speaking of WR's... A starting trio Bernard, Law, and Prentice or Williams ain't too shabby.

LB's... This is not really a secret anymore I don't think, though if you've been paying attention around here the last few days, it won't come as a surprise to you either... There is a defensive package with Lawson, Campbell, and Jefferson all on the field together.

The freshmen DB's... the staff has been saying as much publicly in their post practice interviews the last few days, but word is, behind the scenes where truth is spoken, they've been really impressive as a group. There will be growing pains for sure, but they are collectively ahead of the game compared to most in their shoes. It's a very athletic group who are eager to learn and get better and they don't shy away from the work. It might be the question mark of the team going into the season, but down the road, it's going to be the strength of it along with a strong source of leadership. It's fair, IMO, to be a little concerned about the overall seasoned depth back there while also being pretty excited about what's around the corner.

Let's talk a bit more about this offense... While we await to see the actual Bama version in game action in a few weeks, the schematic blueprint and nuts and bolts of the offense are obviously known. In terms of the talent that DeBoer can and will acquire in Tuscaloosa and the types of teams/defenses UA will be going up against week after week in the league... I'm not sure there's a better possible fit. The running game is dynamic with inside and outside runs, power, and sets filled with motion and misdirection. More often than not, DeBoer will have a QB that is always going to be a threat with his legs, compounding the concerns and attention of the defense. The passing game is extremely flexible and easily adjustable on the fly, depending on how an opposing defense is playing/covering. The weapons (players) and the modes of attack (the numerous options in run/pass plays) put a tremendous strain on a defense over the course of 60 minutes, not to mention game plan preparation. We talked previously about how the QB's progressions are simplified and streamlined with few reads. How does it all sound so simple? It's all in the scheme. I spoke last year about the need for Bama's offense to have a legitimate passing coordinator... and not just a guy using that title to get a pay bump, but someone who can actually coordinate a passing offense, and do so effectively. That's what Shephard brings to the table. DeBoer's offense has roots that run deep and wide... Some of those roots are connected to the Air Raid system/philosophy. While the Air Raid as a whole certainly had its pros and cons, there's little doubt that the emphasis on precise route running, exploiting mismatches, and getting the ball out on time are positive pieces to it. Worth noting here: Shephard has coached under Mike Leach. He's also spent time under Jeff Brohm and Bobby Petrino, a couple of guys who have made a nice living off their ability to scheme guys open and aggressively attack an opposing defense via the air. Another major emphasis of this system is maximizing yards after the catch. The route tree and the way leverage is exploited are designed to fit together to maximize yards after the catch. Obviously, to make it all work as intended, it requires a QB who can orchestrate things at the line and then put the ball where it needs to be, when it needs to be there. The good news is, Bama has 2 guys that have that ability. And don't forget what we started with... the running game...

I have said this before, but it's worth repeating IMO... Bama lost some pieces via the portal after Saban left... some that they were going to lose regardless. A few that some fans were fretting over, and I'll point to two specifically that found a new home in Austin, were not the body blow to this roster that many believe. In fact, I'd say it's more an addition by subtraction example when you take into account the good and the bad. That said, if Niblack had kept his head screwed on straight and stayed focused on what he needed to focus on, he would have thrived in this new offense. Saban pretty much laid it out there where you'd have to be blind, deaf, and stupid to not understand it... creating value for yourself > chasing value. And just as a footnote to this: he was getting 10 grand a month in NIL... so it's not like he wasn't getting his worth.

I was talking to someone about the new approved rule that allows support staff on the field to coach... I admittedly thought (and said as much on here) that the advantages of such were a bit overblown. And maybe they are to a degree. But if used correctly, this can certainly be advantageous. We are going to see schools make some shifts and hire more guys under an "analyst" type title, though their value will be in teaching/coaching on the field... especially in some cases where a coach on an on-field staff is more valued for his recruiting abilities than his coaching abilities. You can have the best of both now, without trying to hide it (if you can afford it).

While it's still very early in camp, I'm told players have adjusted extremely well to the new routine of morning practices... a couple of the benefits... makes time management easier for them and helps with recovery (plus other things like better weather on most days). Also, the players that are doing it right, aren't out until 2 am the night before. Another benefit I think we will see from it later, is a team that's ready to go for early kicks... their bodies will be used to it. Hopefully, no more sluggish 11 am starts...

I've talked about how important I think Proctor is to this offensive line. I know he took his lumps last year, especially early on, but dude stuck with it and got better. Some may have forgotten too, he played in the Rose Bowl with an ankle sprain that would have kept most guys out, and he played pretty well toughing it out. A lot of his issues early on last year were the result of 2 things... 1 adjusting to the speed of college (and specifically SEC) football right out of high school. And 2 (which is related to #1), he was way too heavy, which slowed him down and really hampered his footwork and quickness. He reported last year at 390 lbs. Most will remember that then OL Coach Eric Wolford wanted guys bigger (even bigger than what we see on NFL O-Lines). Well, that didn't work out too well (though 390 was even more than Wolford wanted to see). Regardless, a new staff and new offense now requires a more "normal" sized OL. In Proctor's case, that means eventually getting down to a preferred ~335 target weight (he's ~345 right now). He's done a really good job of dropping much of the bad weight and reshaping himself. My bet is, he finds his way onto some All-SEC lists at year's end.

One of the changes that is sure to stand out on Saturdays from this staff to the previous, will be the amount of substitutions being used during games, especially with the LB's and DB's on defense. The pro mindset that followed Saban and stuck with him through the years is gone, and this staff isn't going to be shy about rotating more guys, more often. You can make pro and con arguments with either philosophy, but I don't think having more guys with quality game reps is a bad thing, especially come November.

View attachment 28408

From the bullpen... Again, nothing earth shattering and probably a healthy dose of redundancy, but if it's something you've seen on here multiple times at this point, there's probably a good reason for it. It ended up being a longer post than I anticipated, so no worries if you skip right on past it.

There's some good young leadership on this squad. DeBoer gives his teams a lot of equity and ownership, it's player driven in a number of ways. It's not unusual at all for the upperclassmen to be the natural leaders, but I'm told a few from this freshman class are stepping up into those roles as well. There have been a couple of seasons in recent years when overall leadership was lacking... while it's very early, it appears that won't be an issue with this team.

As a whole, this is a group that isn't bothered by putting in the work. A lot of guys are working their ass off to get better on and off the field, and that's probably helped by the leadership of guy's like Milroe, Booker, & Moore who set the tone by doing it themselves. Milroe for example puts in a LOT of extra time at the complex... and if you look at some recent successful QB's from the SEC through the years, that's a common thread among them.

Early reviews on Ryan WIlliams have been really positive. Obviously, the comparisons to DeVonta Smith popped up early in his recruitment, and for good reason. Build wise and ability wise, things are on par. Smith had that special strand of DNA where he wasn't going to be outworked and he played bigger, stronger, faster, and more technically sound because of it. He was also tough as hell. While it's early, Williams shows some of those same traits but he might be slightly more naturally gifted. He's impressed thus far with both his play and his attitude. Keep in mind, age wise, he should be getting ready for his Sr. year at Saraland right now, not running with the 1's in Tuscaloosa. [On a side note: it will be interesting to see who has the better CFB career/who gets drafted higher in 3 years... Ryan Williams or auburn's Cam Coleman]

Speaking of WR's... A starting trio Bernard, Law, and Prentice or Williams ain't too shabby.

LB's... This is not really a secret anymore I don't think, though if you've been paying attention around here the last few days, it won't come as a surprise to you either... There is a defensive package with Lawson, Campbell, and Jefferson all on the field together.

The freshmen DB's... the staff has been saying as much publicly in their post practice interviews the last few days, but word is, behind the scenes where truth is spoken, they've been really impressive as a group. There will be growing pains for sure, but they are collectively ahead of the game compared to most in their shoes. It's a very athletic group who are eager to learn and get better and they don't shy away from the work. It might be the question mark of the team going into the season, but down the road, it's going to be the strength of it along with a strong source of leadership. It's fair, IMO, to be a little concerned about the overall seasoned depth back there while also being pretty excited about what's around the corner.

Let's talk a bit more about this offense... While we await to see the actual Bama version in game action in a few weeks, the schematic blueprint and nuts and bolts of the offense are obviously known. In terms of the talent that DeBoer can and will acquire in Tuscaloosa and the types of teams/defenses UA will be going up against week after week in the league... I'm not sure there's a better possible fit. The running game is dynamic with inside and outside runs, power, and sets filled with motion and misdirection. More often than not, DeBoer will have a QB that is always going to be a threat with his legs, compounding the concerns and attention of the defense. The passing game is extremely flexible and easily adjustable on the fly, depending on how an opposing defense is playing/covering. The weapons (players) and the modes of attack (the numerous options in run/pass plays) put a tremendous strain on a defense over the course of 60 minutes, not to mention game plan preparation. We talked previously about how the QB's progressions are simplified and streamlined with few reads. How does it all sound so simple? It's all in the scheme. I spoke last year about the need for Bama's offense to have a legitimate passing coordinator... and not just a guy using that title to get a pay bump, but someone who can actually coordinate a passing offense, and do so effectively. That's what Shephard brings to the table. DeBoer's offense has roots that run deep and wide... Some of those roots are connected to the Air Raid system/philosophy. While the Air Raid as a whole certainly had its pros and cons, there's little doubt that the emphasis on precise route running, exploiting mismatches, and getting the ball out on time are positive pieces to it. Worth noting here: Shephard has coached under Mike Leach. He's also spent time under Jeff Brohm and Bobby Petrino, a couple of guys who have made a nice living off their ability to scheme guys open and aggressively attack an opposing defense via the air. Another major emphasis of this system is maximizing yards after the catch. The route tree and the way leverage is exploited are designed to fit together to maximize yards after the catch. Obviously, to make it all work as intended, it requires a QB who can orchestrate things at the line and then put the ball where it needs to be, when it needs to be there. The good news is, Bama has 2 guys that have that ability. And don't forget what we started with... the running game...

I have said this before, but it's worth repeating IMO... Bama lost some pieces via the portal after Saban left... some that they were going to lose regardless. A few that some fans were fretting over, and I'll point to two specifically that found a new home in Austin, were not the body blow to this roster that many believe. In fact, I'd say it's more an addition by subtraction example when you take into account the good and the bad. That said, if Niblack had kept his head screwed on straight and stayed focused on what he needed to focus on, he would have thrived in this new offense. Saban pretty much laid it out there where you'd have to be blind, deaf, and stupid to not understand it... creating value for yourself > chasing value. And just as a footnote to this: he was getting 10 grand a month in NIL... so it's not like he wasn't getting his worth.

I was talking to someone about the new approved rule that allows support staff on the field to coach... I admittedly thought (and said as much on here) that the advantages of such were a bit overblown. And maybe they are to a degree. But if used correctly, this can certainly be advantageous. We are going to see schools make some shifts and hire more guys under an "analyst" type title, though their value will be in teaching/coaching on the field... especially in some cases where a coach on an on-field staff is more valued for his recruiting abilities than his coaching abilities. You can have the best of both now, without trying to hide it (if you can afford it).

While it's still very early in camp, I'm told players have adjusted extremely well to the new routine of morning practices... a couple of the benefits... makes time management easier for them and helps with recovery (plus other things like better weather on most days). Also, the players that are doing it right, aren't out until 2 am the night before. Another benefit I think we will see from it later, is a team that's ready to go for early kicks... their bodies will be used to it. Hopefully, no more sluggish 11 am starts...

I've talked about how important I think Proctor is to this offensive line. I know he took his lumps last year, especially early on, but dude stuck with it and got better. Some may have forgotten too, he played in the Rose Bowl with an ankle sprain that would have kept most guys out, and he played pretty well toughing it out. A lot of his issues early on last year were the result of 2 things... 1 adjusting to the speed of college (and specifically SEC) football right out of high school. And 2 (which is related to #1), he was way too heavy, which slowed him down and really hampered his footwork and quickness. He reported last year at 390 lbs. Most will remember that then OL Coach Eric Wolford wanted guys bigger (even bigger than what we see on NFL O-Lines). Well, that didn't work out too well (though 390 was even more than Wolford wanted to see). Regardless, a new staff and new offense now requires a more "normal" sized OL. In Proctor's case, that means eventually getting down to a preferred ~335 target weight (he's ~345 right now). He's done a really good job of dropping much of the bad weight and reshaping himself. My bet is, he finds his way onto some All-SEC lists at year's end.

One of the changes that is sure to stand out on Saturdays from this staff to the previous, will be the amount of substitutions being used during games, especially with the LB's and DB's on defense. The pro mindset that followed Saban and stuck with him through the years is gone, and this staff isn't going to be shy about rotating more guys, more often. You can make pro and con arguments with either philosophy, but I don't think having more guys with quality game reps is a bad thing, especially come November.

Giving it ten minutes before @TerryP says you took the words right out of his mouth and somehow takes responsibility of this. :devilish:

Giving it ten minutes before @TerryP says you took the words right out of his mouth and somehow takes responsibility of this. :devilish:
Okay, smart ass. How many of these things that Brandon has pointed to have I mentioned over the last few months? It's not always been in the same wording, but the point remains. IE:

I looked at this under a slightly different set of lenses. Bama has one 11 AM kick early in the season; Wisconsin. The next scheduled I think is UofSC. (Vandy may be a day game.)

The point I was making then was practicing in the heat of the afternoons in Tuscaloosa. Acclimation. But, with the schedule...it really doesn't come into play until October.

Brandon mentioned sluggish starts. I mentioned how it took the defense about a quarter, or more, to find its footing in some games.

This all goes back to a post earlier. It's uncanny how we both hear the same things, but we don't run in the same circles. I've mentioned how much I hate the word "source." But, when my friends tell me things and I see Brandon posting the same things? That's called confirmation.

Okay, smart ass. How many of these things that Brandon has pointed to have I mentioned over the last few months? It's not always been in the same wording, but the point remains. IE:

I looked at this under a slightly different set of lenses. Bama has one 11 AM kick early in the season; Wisconsin. The next scheduled I think is UofSC. (Vandy may be a day game.)

The point I was making then was practicing in the heat of the afternoons in Tuscaloosa. Acclimation. But, with the schedule...it really doesn't come into play until October.

Brandon mentioned sluggish starts. I mentioned how it took the defense about a quarter, or more, to find its footing in some games.

This all goes back to a post earlier. It's uncanny how we both hear the same things, but we don't run in the same circles. I've mentioned how much I hate the word "source." But, when my friends tell me things and I see Brandon posting the same things? That's called confirmation.

Ha ha, I'm just giving you some shit, that's all. But I'll tell you "when Courtney got off the..."

This is one of the reasons they've been working with guys like Keeley so much. Without getting into specific positional terms like "Bandit," they have groupings with Lawson and Jefferson in the tradition ILB roles, sliding Campbell and Keeley outside. They are putting guys like Oatis in the A and B gaps on the DL, and telling them, "get uphill."

Coach Saban always pointed to "effecting the QB." While we still haven't seen it, my early gut impression is this group is going to as good, likely better, at effecting the QB.

Here's what I know is going to happen. We are going to see people comparing this defense to say...the '16 squad. And, it just doesn't work. At a glance, they may look the same. They aren't.

A few weeks ago there was a video/interview that was posted here. Sheridan, maybe? I can't remember which offensive coach it was.
The point was he was getting into the football facility at EARLY morning hours. I want to say he mentioned 4:30 AM. And Jalen was already there.

I find it funny. We're are talking about different slogans, cliches, and how they can become tiresome. But. But.

"Where Legends Are Made." "L.A.N.K." That is Jalen.

It may look like "sunshine pumping." I'm just watching.

You don't know Brandon. The man has an appetite. As do I..

It's more of a ...

giphy.gif

View attachment 28408

I enjoyed the read..... but I forgot to blink the whole way through.
patrick-patrick-star (1).gif

This is one of the reasons they've been working with guys like Keeley so much. Without getting into specific positional terms like "Bandit," they have groupings with Lawson and Jefferson in the tradition ILB roles, sliding Campbell and Keeley outside. They are putting guys like Oatis in the A and B gaps on the DL, and telling them, "get uphill."

Coach Saban always pointed to "effecting the QB." While we still haven't seen it, my early gut impression is this group is going to as good, likely better, at effecting the QB.

Here's what I know is going to happen. We are going to see people comparing this defense to say...the '16 squad. And, it just doesn't work. At a glance, they may look the same. They aren't.

Keely is a guy I felt we seriously needed to develop and get on the field, or fear losing him. I take your post and @Brandon Van de Graaff to say he's stepping up and doing well enough to see the field this year. That excites me.

Keely is a guy I felt we seriously needed to develop and get on the field, or fear losing him. I take your post and @Brandon Van de Graaff to say he's stepping up and doing well enough to see the field this year. That excites me.
He's in the same camp as Jihad, in my view. But, he's getting an earlier chance. Go back to the recruiting thread when they signed JC. I said, "when he gets his chance, he's going to be a terror." We are about to see that. Same goes with Keeley. He's in that "transition stage." As he is starting to understand what the concepts are, he's not at his full speed on those concepts. Still thinking. That'll come with reps...

Back
Top Bottom