| FTBL šŸˆ Fall camp: 2024: Special Micā€™d up Fall Camp Edition with Jeff Allen, Director of Sports Medicine. šŸ˜

I'm glad we have coaches that can switch around and help out different positions. But now begs the question...... who's coaching the ILB group now? Mosley? I'm still trying to figure out who's all on this staff since it's been finalized. That's why I asked about Jake Long the other day, I have no clue whether or not he's still there. images (2) (19).jpeg

I'm glad we have coaches that can switch around and help out different positions. But now begs the question...... who's coaching the ILB group now? Mosley? I'm still trying to figure out who's all on this staff since it's been finalized. That's why I asked about Jake Long the other day, I have no clue whether or not he's still there.

Morrell works primarily with the ILB's.

Right, got that now. I'm just curious as to who fills in when both Wommack and Morrell are coaching different groups, like in that video? My thought was long since that's what he usually helped with when he was here, but that's now confirmed that he isn't anymore(which sucks to me).
I'm sure you know this. Others may not remember.

With the NCAA relaxing its rules with GA's and other staff members allowed to "coach," the dynamics have changed quite a bit. You mentioned CJ. HaHa, even in a different role, has worked with the DB's. Mo has worked with the OLB's on coverage techniques.

I look at this as a part of DeBoer's overall approach. He has staff members who can coach multiple positions and aspects of the game. While "titles" for coaches have jumped the shark the last decade, there's a great example. It's almost a misnomer to call one guy "that position coach."

I'm sure you know this. Others may not remember.

With the NCAA relaxing its rules with GA's and other staff members allowed to "coach," the dynamics have changed quite a bit. You mentioned CJ. HaHa, even in a different role, has worked with the DB's. Mo has worked with the OLB's on coverage techniques.

I look at this as a part of DeBoer's overall approach. He has staff members who can coach multiple positions and aspects of the game. While "titles" for coaches have jumped the shark the last decade, there's a great example. It's almost a misnomer to call one guy "that position coach."
Like I said before, I think it's good for coaches being able to coach multiple positions. Some of the best defensive coaches we've had have done this.... mainly Kirby and Pruitt. Especially for little coaching points that the other may have missed, like a guy not placing his hands correctly taking on a block, staying squared, low pad level, etc....

Even the best to ever do it miss it sometimes, a new set of eyes can help with that. I hope they continue to do it.

Even the best to ever do it miss it sometimes, a new set of eyes can help with that. I hope they continue to do it.
Everyone, from fans to the national media, are looking at something new. I'm just a fan, like you guys. I spend more time following the sport. But that's a different story.

Now, I'm going to fuck with your head for a minute.

What has happened the last few months is what the goal was when Mike Price was hired. Stop for a minute and think about this, absent the character of the coach.

I fell in this rabbit hole yesterday looking at Price and his passing routes. When it comes to attitude, there is some Joe Kines in Wommack.

Outside of CJ, tell me how many safeties and linebackers Kirby "coached up" on passing defense?
I know for a fact he coached safeties from 07-09..... so, he would've coached guys like Rashad Johnson, and Mark Barron.... and if you remember how they played, they were both exceptional at playing the ball in the air and getting pass breakups and turnovers. Those two are the ones that pop up in my head at the moment, so I may be forgetting others.
Now with linebackers, I can do a while deep dive with film if you want. But I'll add this, it was different time in football for a while during his tenure at Alabama. CJ Mosley was an anomaly, and one of the first real ILb's we had that could consistently play at a high level in coverage. He was 235 I believe at that time, that's about what you see now on average in ILb's these days.... but then you'd see guys like Rolando McClain, Donta Hightower, Reuben Foster(before 2016), Reggie Ragland, etc.... were all around the 245-255 in weight at that time. It was while other era of football, nowhere near what it's like today. We usually played against run heavy, 12-13-22 personnel type offenses that would run from under center majority of the time. It wasn't very often we played what we see now. But when we did, we struggled because we were not built to defend that at the time. He's shown that with how his linebackers look now.... he now gets guys that are on average, 225-235 guys that can run with these skill players now. He's still struggled obviously, and I think that speaks to how good these offenses are now, and another topic that I'm not going to get into because I would slowly decay into a rage fit because of it(favoritism). He's had some success stopping some of these offenses before, but that's not usually how it goes.... the teams they've been able to beat in this category have come due the defense being able to make plays and force some turnovers. And that's how you beat these high powered offenses now, it's highly unlikely you're gonna be able to able to shut them down completely, and if you do.... you deserve praise. But the name of the game is to be able to contain them as much as possible and limit the amount of big plays they get throughout the game. You combine that with getting some turnovers, you have a high chance of beating them. I don't like this way(it succcckkksss), but to be successful against these offenses, I think this what coaches have to do.... and have been doing up to this point.

It is good that the asst. coaches actually speak to the fans, for a change..They either raise or temper our expectations.. Apparently our old line is going to be a work in progress..Not such a mystery anymore..

Back
Top Bottom