| FTBL šŸˆ Fall camp: 2024: Special Micā€™d up Fall Camp Edition with Jeff Allen, Director of Sports Medicine. šŸ˜

Spent the last week or so piecing together some info gathered from some different people with varying connections to the program and/or CFB in general... figured today, the start of camp, was a decent day to post it. Some of it is old news we've already talked about, or at least touched on at some point. Probably nothing too ground breaking... more info will certainly trickle out once the pads go on and the scrimmaging begins... also, some of it is my opinion based on chatter and such. It's long and likely full of grammatical errors, so if you stop reading here, I won't blame you a bit.

QB- The staff has been really pleased with the group as a whole... all of them have responded well to the new scheme and the coaching. Obviously, Jalen Milroe is the Man, and his leadership since day 1 of the DeBoer era hasn't gone unnoticed by anyone in the facility. There is a strong belief that he's going to be playing with much more confidence this year, which is when he's at his best. Potential wise, his ceiling is just as high or higher than Penix come draft night. I said last season that people in scouting told me that Milroe could well be one of the first QB's off the board, that hasn't changed other than he's now in an even friendlier offense with an offensive minded head coach.Ty Simpson is the clear #2 heading into the fall... he too has shown a good attitude and already has a good grasp of the scheme. He's a guy the staff would feel very comfortable with if the need arises for him to take over. In the new scheme, DeBoer doesn't ask the QB to go through a lot of progressions... Most plays are 2 or less with a lot of play-action mixed in to stress the defense, along with pre-snap motion, something that caused even Saban's defense fits at times. Lastly, while we won't know until we know, I personally think the helmet communication will be very beneficial for Milroe, especially when they are going fast and the comms stay on. Other than Texas, it's hard to find a better 1-2 combo on the depth chart at QB.

RB- This RB group seems to be flying a bit under the radar, IMO. I expect big things out of them, led by Jam Miller and Justice Haynes. Miller can do it all and should thrive in this offense and behind this OL (more on that later). Richard Young could be a 4th quarter MTAQ punisher that Bama has needed. One misunderstood aspect about DeBoer's offense is how much he runs the ball. They probably aren't going to be as balanced in terms of plays that we were used to seeing under Saban and his OC's, but the running game is a big part of this offense. And one reason for needing the lighter OL is for some of those outside runs, which IMO, we've seen too few of in recent years. Worth noting too, this is easily the most talented stable DeBoer has ever gotten to work with.

TE- A deep group... maybe no superstars, but several guys that can get it done. CJ Dippre, Robbie Outz, Josh Ceuves, and Danny Lewis all add something. This is a very solid group and they'll get their opportunities in the passing game. Personally, I'm looking forward to how the group is used near the goal line. Just for a fun comparisonā€¦ the Huskies top 2 TE's combined for 62 receptions for 641 yards and 6 TD's last season. By comparison, Bama's top 4 TE's combined for 35 receptions for 552 yards and 5 TD's.

WR- The big winner of this group with the new staff and scheme should be Kendrick Law, but as a whole, I think this group will be better than most are expecting. They are getting top notch coaching from Shephard and the staff likes the depth and overall speed. Germie Bernard, Emmanuel Henderson, Kobe Prentice, Cole Adams, and former TE Caleb Odom are all getting good reviews this summer. Incoming freshman Ryan Williams will make an impact as well, sooner rather than later. Jalen Hale won't be clear for some time, if at all this season (from his knee injury), but there's a chance he could be back for a late season/post-season run. If there's one thing the staff wants to adjust going forward, it's adding taller, more physical guys while keeping the speed levels high. As for one change in scheme to look for under the new staff... for the first time since Sarkisian was calling plays, Bama will have a dangerous and respectable screen game again. You'll also see guys get better coached on getting separation, get schemed open, and be more physical again. This is an offense that WR's (and QB's) can thrive in. [note: a robust and dynamic screen game with lots of motion and shifts... keep in mind that DeBoer's mentor is Jeff Tedford, who was/is one of the best in the game as using those things to exploit weaknesses in a defense]

OL- Another group where it feels (to me, anyway) that expectations have really been tampered. Maybe that's because of their slow start and ill-timed issues at center last season... or maybe it's the staff change or something else entirely. All I do know is, the 3 in the middle, Tyler Booker, Parker Brailsford, and Jaeden Roberts should concern opponents. I love that Kayden Proctor hoped back on the Bama train... he was one of about 3 or 4 players I hated to see portal out. He was playing much better football the 2nd half of the season last year, and shedding some weight and having that full season under his belt should help him take a big step this fall in becoming a much more reliable left tackle. At right tackle, I expect Wilkin Fromby to eventually get the nod over Elijah Pritchett (even if Pritchett begins the year as the starter). Was told that Fromby has worked his ass off, and while he doesn't have the overall athletic ability of Pritchett, he makes up for it by being more technically sound and that the staff has a lot of "trust" in him. His fellow lineman have that same level of trust in him, which he has earned. One person close to the team told me his overall attitude reminds them of Bradley Bozeman... the kid just puts his head down, goes to work, and does the all right things.

DL- Another deep position group, this one with a solid mixture of experienced and talented players. A healthy Jehiem Oatis is a very valuable commodity with Tim Keenan backing him up. Then you've got Damon Payne, Tim Smith, LT Overton, Jah-Marien Latham, and James Smith who are all pretty stout players as well... and that's a pretty good group to carry into a long SEC season. James Smith just needs to find his consistency, which will come with time, but his potential runneth over. Jordan Renaud is in the same boat... he just needs time and reps. The staff is expecting this unit to be the strength of the defense, and if they can live up to those expectations, they'll really take some pressure off the young secondary. There's also some really promising younger guys waiting their turn, would not be shocking if one of them came out of nowhere late in the season and proved to be ready for the bigtime... a guy like Hunter Osborne? Jeremiah Beaman?

OLB- If there's a concern on this defense, other than the defensive backs holding up consistently, I think it lies here. When discussing this Bama team and some others in the SEC recently, someone in the scouting industry pointed to the lack of an established guy here that can get after the QB. Bama got spoiled with Will Anderson, Dallas Turner, and Chris Braswell in recent years. That's not saying there isn't someone(s) on the roster that can't fill the void (which will be the Wolf position now), it's just saying for the first time in a while, someone is going to have to really step up to do it. As for who that could eventually be? The betting favorite inside the facility is that Qua Russaw will develop into a pass rushing terror, but the feeling is he will likely need a bit more time. It's also been shared that Russaw's skill and versatility make him a perfect fit for Wommack's scheme. As for now, Quandarrius Robinson and Keanu Khot are expected to battle, with both getting ample amounts of playing time. It's also likely that Justin Jefferson and/or Jihaad Campbell will get some reps there during the week(s) in case they are needed or used in a special package. Keep an eye on Yhonzae Pierre too, as he continues to develop, he could become an important piece. Saban really liked his potential.

ILB- Speaking of Campbell, moving him around makes sense, he's that gifted of a player athletically. But robbing Peter to pay Paul doesn't always make the most sense, and ILB (Stinger in this defense) is his home for good reason. Deontae Lawson beside him at the Mike spot makes for quite the duo and really gives Bama that traditional athletic and physical presence in the middle that we've all come to know and love. Justin Jefferson is a more than capable backup. Justin Okoronkwo, Jeremiah Alexander and the other younger players need to develop quickly though... It's a long season, and at some point, depth here will come into play.

DB- Here we have the biggest ? on the team as we head into the season (which even Saban pointed out recently during SEC Media Days)... that doesn't mean they can't be a really good group, they certainly can, but the greenness of the corners is a concern. Domani Jackson comes in and will battle for a spot, but he's got to be better than he was last year at USC. Good news is, I think he will be, and the staff expects the same. Still, where he needs to be and where he was at, is quite the gap. And while he's a year older, he's also entering into a tougher, less forgiving SEC arena. In time, I think he'll be just fine, but I don't envenion him being a lockdown guy right away. Wake Forest transfer DeShawn Jones is also going to see tougher competition, but the feeling is, he may be more ready for it right now. Jaylen Mbakwe, Zabien Brown, and Zavier Mincey should all be good in time and all 3 are expected to contribute with meaningful action... While I, and others, expect inconsistent play and some occasional struggles from this group overall, the good news is, while Saban's shadow is gone from the practice field where the corners work, Mo Linguist is really, really good. He's going to coach these guys well, and they are going to respond to him. He's basically the defensive version of Shephard, and in the long run, this group is going to be just fine... At the safety spots, things are much less... worrisome. Malachi Moore coming back for another year was huge just in terms of his leadership on defense alone. The addition of Keon Saab from Michigan was probably the most important portal addition on this side of the ball. DeVonta Smith will be a solid player and probably has the slight edge over Red Morgan at the Husky spot. Penn State transfer safety King Mack is a really good depth piece who will add value on special teams. Overall though, this entire backfield group, while heavy on talent, is light on experience beyond the starters. Losing any of those frontline guys to injuries would be less than ideal.

I'm still not sold on Arch. Gonna have to see it against competition, before I believe it. Spring Game isn't the best test to me. It's all about protecting the quarterback.

We will eventually see what happens with him (and I didn't see their spring game)... I will say he didn't really blow me away with his play in HS by any stretch, but I'm told by people I trust that he should be pretty damn good. And IMO, they are taking the right approach by asking him sit and learn for 2 years...

We will eventually see what happens with him (and I didn't see their spring game)... I will say he didn't really blow me away with his play in HS by any stretch, but I'm told by people I trust that he should be pretty damn good. And IMO, they are taking the right approach by asking him sit and learn for 2 years...
Unrelated: It's still weird seeing Tx and OU on the SECN.

Related: I've seen bits and pieces of their Orange and White game. I can see Ewers just "going off" in one game, and the following Saturday he's just off.

Yep, letting him sit was the best idea. Going from small A Private School ball in Louisiana is big time different than the SEC, so they definitely played it smart. I will say, I do get oh so tired of how "guarded" The Manning Family is of him. Acting like they are God's gift to the world or something. All that being said, I always wish for these guys to do well and make a future for themselves.

Spent the last week or so piecing together some info gathered from some different people with varying connections to the program and/or CFB in general... figured today, the start of camp, was a decent day to post it. Some of it is old news we've already talked about, or at least touched on at some point. Probably nothing too ground breaking... more info will certainly trickle out once the pads go on and the scrimmaging begins... also, some of it is my opinion based on chatter and such. It's long and likely full of grammatical errors, so if you stop reading here, I won't blame you a bit.

QB- The staff has been really pleased with the group as a whole... all of them have responded well to the new scheme and the coaching. Obviously, Jalen Milroe is the Man, and his leadership since day 1 of the DeBoer era hasn't gone unnoticed by anyone in the facility. There is a strong belief that he's going to be playing with much more confidence this year, which is when he's at his best. Potential wise, his ceiling is just as high or higher than Penix come draft night. I said last season that people in scouting told me that Milroe could well be one of the first QB's off the board, that hasn't changed other than he's now in an even friendlier offense with an offensive minded head coach.Ty Simpson is the clear #2 heading into the fall... he too has shown a good attitude and already has a good grasp of the scheme. He's a guy the staff would feel very comfortable with if the need arises for him to take over. In the new scheme, DeBoer doesn't ask the QB to go through a lot of progressions... Most plays are 2 or less with a lot of play-action mixed in to stress the defense, along with pre-snap motion, something that caused even Saban's defense fits at times. Lastly, while we won't know until we know, I personally think the helmet communication will be very beneficial for Milroe, especially when they are going fast and the comms stay on. Other than Texas, it's hard to find a better 1-2 combo on the depth chart at QB.

RB- This RB group seems to be flying a bit under the radar, IMO. I expect big things out of them, led by Jam Miller and Justice Haynes. Miller can do it all and should thrive in this offense and behind this OL (more on that later). Richard Young could be a 4th quarter MTAQ punisher that Bama has needed. One misunderstood aspect about DeBoer's offense is how much he runs the ball. They probably aren't going to be as balanced in terms of plays that we were used to seeing under Saban and his OC's, but the running game is a big part of this offense. And one reason for needing the lighter OL is for some of those outside runs, which IMO, we've seen too few of in recent years. Worth noting too, this is easily the most talented stable DeBoer has ever gotten to work with.

TE- A deep group... maybe no superstars, but several guys that can get it done. CJ Dippre, Robbie Outz, Josh Ceuves, and Danny Lewis all add something. This is a very solid group and they'll get their opportunities in the passing game. Personally, I'm looking forward to how the group is used near the goal line. Just for a fun comparisonā€¦ the Huskies top 2 TE's combined for 62 receptions for 641 yards and 6 TD's last season. By comparison, Bama's top 4 TE's combined for 35 receptions for 552 yards and 5 TD's.

WR- The big winner of this group with the new staff and scheme should be Kendrick Law, but as a whole, I think this group will be better than most are expecting. They are getting top notch coaching from Shephard and the staff likes the depth and overall speed. Germie Bernard, Emmanuel Henderson, Kobe Prentice, Cole Adams, and former TE Caleb Odom are all getting good reviews this summer. Incoming freshman Ryan Williams will make an impact as well, sooner rather than later. Jalen Hale won't be clear for some time, if at all this season (from his knee injury), but there's a chance he could be back for a late season/post-season run. If there's one thing the staff wants to adjust going forward, it's adding taller, more physical guys while keeping the speed levels high. As for one change in scheme to look for under the new staff... for the first time since Sarkisian was calling plays, Bama will have a dangerous and respectable screen game again. You'll also see guys get better coached on getting separation, get schemed open, and be more physical again. This is an offense that WR's (and QB's) can thrive in. [note: a robust and dynamic screen game with lots of motion and shifts... keep in mind that DeBoer's mentor is Jeff Tedford, who was/is one of the best in the game as using those things to exploit weaknesses in a defense]

OL- Another group where it feels (to me, anyway) that expectations have really been tampered. Maybe that's because of their slow start and ill-timed issues at center last season... or maybe it's the staff change or something else entirely. All I do know is, the 3 in the middle, Tyler Booker, Parker Brailsford, and Jaeden Roberts should concern opponents. I love that Kayden Proctor hoped back on the Bama train... he was one of about 3 or 4 players I hated to see portal out. He was playing much better football the 2nd half of the season last year, and shedding some weight and having that full season under his belt should help him take a big step this fall in becoming a much more reliable left tackle. At right tackle, I expect Wilkin Fromby to eventually get the nod over Elijah Pritchett (even if Pritchett begins the year as the starter). Was told that Fromby has worked his ass off, and while he doesn't have the overall athletic ability of Pritchett, he makes up for it by being more technically sound and that the staff has a lot of "trust" in him. His fellow lineman have that same level of trust in him, which he has earned. One person close to the team told me his overall attitude reminds them of Bradley Bozeman... the kid just puts his head down, goes to work, and does the all right things.

DL- Another deep position group, this one with a solid mixture of experienced and talented players. A healthy Jehiem Oatis is a very valuable commodity with Tim Keenan backing him up. Then you've got Damon Payne, Tim Smith, LT Overton, Jah-Marien Latham, and James Smith who are all pretty stout players as well... and that's a pretty good group to carry into a long SEC season. James Smith just needs to find his consistency, which will come with time, but his potential runneth over. Jordan Renaud is in the same boat... he just needs time and reps. The staff is expecting this unit to be the strength of the defense, and if they can live up to those expectations, they'll really take some pressure off the young secondary. There's also some really promising younger guys waiting their turn, would not be shocking if one of them came out of nowhere late in the season and proved to be ready for the bigtime... a guy like Hunter Osborne? Jeremiah Beaman?

OLB- If there's a concern on this defense, other than the defensive backs holding up consistently, I think it lies here. When discussing this Bama team and some others in the SEC recently, someone in the scouting industry pointed to the lack of an established guy here that can get after the QB. Bama got spoiled with Will Anderson, Dallas Turner, and Chris Braswell in recent years. That's not saying there isn't someone(s) on the roster that can't fill the void (which will be the Wolf position now), it's just saying for the first time in a while, someone is going to have to really step up to do it. As for who that could eventually be? The betting favorite inside the facility is that Qua Russaw will develop into a pass rushing terror, but the feeling is he will likely need a bit more time. It's also been shared that Russaw's skill and versatility make him a perfect fit for Wommack's scheme. As for now, Quandarrius Robinson and Keanu Khot are expected to battle, with both getting ample amounts of playing time. It's also likely that Justin Jefferson and/or Jihaad Campbell will get some reps there during the week(s) in case they are needed or used in a special package. Keep an eye on Yhonzae Pierre too, as he continues to develop, he could become an important piece. Saban really liked his potential.

ILB- Speaking of Campbell, moving him around makes sense, he's that gifted of a player athletically. But robbing Peter to pay Paul doesn't always make the most sense, and ILB (Stinger in this defense) is his home for good reason. Deontae Lawson beside him at the Mike spot makes for quite the duo and really gives Bama that traditional athletic and physical presence in the middle that we've all come to know and love. Justin Jefferson is a more than capable backup. Justin Okoronkwo, Jeremiah Alexander and the other younger players need to develop quickly though... It's a long season, and at some point, depth here will come into play.

DB- Here we have the biggest ? on the team as we head into the season (which even Saban pointed out recently during SEC Media Days)... that doesn't mean they can't be a really good group, they certainly can, but the greenness of the corners is a concern. Domani Jackson comes in and will battle for a spot, but he's got to be better than he was last year at USC. Good news is, I think he will be, and the staff expects the same. Still, where he needs to be and where he was at, is quite the gap. And while he's a year older, he's also entering into a tougher, less forgiving SEC arena. In time, I think he'll be just fine, but I don't envenion him being a lockdown guy right away. Wake Forest transfer DeShawn Jones is also going to see tougher competition, but the feeling is, he may be more ready for it right now. Jaylen Mbakwe, Zabien Brown, and Zavier Mincey should all be good in time and all 3 are expected to contribute with meaningful action... While I, and others, expect inconsistent play and some occasional struggles from this group overall, the good news is, while Saban's shadow is gone from the practice field where the corners work, Mo Linguist is really, really good. He's going to coach these guys well, and they are going to respond to him. He's basically the defensive version of Shephard, and in the long run, this group is going to be just fine... At the safety spots, things are much less... worrisome. Malachi Moore coming back for another year was huge just in terms of his leadership on defense alone. The addition of Keon Saab from Michigan was probably the most important portal addition on this side of the ball. DeVonta Smith will be a solid player and probably has the slight edge over Red Morgan at the Husky spot. Penn State transfer safety King Mack is a really good depth piece who will add value on special teams. Overall though, this entire backfield group, while heavy on talent, is light on experience beyond the starters. Losing any of those frontline guys to injuries would be less than ideal.
I have comments on everything here. I'm so full I don't feel like typing.

I'll post this, with more to come. šŸ‘æ

A story that should have received more exposure this past year? MUDITA, and Alabama basketball.

I know DeBoer and Oats have spent time together...talked to a handful of people who were there today.

This may be a stretch, but I've seen a common theme that resembles "blue collar."

Back
Top Bottom