| FTBL Expert #3

I

imported_porkchop

The Resident College Football Expert Week 3 – Upset Week

by The Resident College Football Expert

The Resident College Football Expert told you this was going to be a great season. Did you believe him? Week one was great, week two was even better, and week three is going to be the kind of week that will send a diehard college football fan into a state of Nirvana rarely enjoyed by human beings. Your Expert has gazed into his crystal ball and has seen five, that’s right five, not three, not four, but FIVE, count ‘em five, mind blowing, earth shattering, jaw dropping upsets for this week in college football. Can you stand the excitement? Better avoid smoking, fatty foods, and get some exercise this week just to make sure the ticker is in good shape.

Before diving head first into week three though, we would be remiss if we did not take a quick look back at week two. It provided the ground work for one of the most fascinating aspects of college football, the old coaching controversy. Why heck, Lloyd Carr at Michigan should just do the honorable thing and step down, but he won’t. That’s what the Michigan fans are saying. They think they need a savior, a savior with a big ole water-head who is currently found in LSU. Boy, those folks sure know their college football, don’t they? They have anointed the most overrated coach in the country as their savior. They should hire old Miles. That would be fun to watch.

Here is the thing about South Florida upsetting All-Barn. It would have been bad enough if they had just upset them, but a writer for CBS Sportsline made it his “Upset of the Year” back in APRIL, so it’s not like South Florida snuck up on anybody. That article got plenty of circulation around the message boards, they may have even written about it in the All-Barn newspaper. Yet somehow, Tubby still let them catch him off guard. Maybe he isn’t much of a reader.

How about North Texas blowing one of the few winnable games on their schedule? That was special! Your Expert predicted a scored of 11-4 and it ended up at 45-38, he told you it was hard to guess what would happen in that game. These teams combined to score 12 TDs last year and 11 were scored in that game! North Texas only scored about 6 TDs all of last season, got 5 in this game, and still came away a loser. How funny. Couldn’t happen to a nicer team.

In week three we found out that South Carolina’s defense is for real, no team in the Big 11 in very good, and that Dennis Dixon is maybe the most exciting player in football this year. After seeing all the top teams for two weeks now, Oklahoma has become your Expert’s clear favorite for the National Title. They seem to have it all, a good team, a good coach, and a really weak conference to play in. All things that are important when you are trying to make it to the BCS title game.

Anyway, we have a lot of picks to get to, so let’s dive right in. This week may be one of the most intense college football weekends in quite sometime.

Thursday Night Special – West Virginia vs. Maryland

Your Expert isn’t a big fan of any of the teams in the Big East. No matter how many upsets South Florida pulls off, your Expert has a hard time picking teams that don’t have a lot of defense against other major conference foes. However, Maryland just doesn’t seem to have to horses to pull off a win against West Virginia. They are a scrappy bunch that won a lot of close games last year, but they lack depth and WVU will pull this one out late. West Virginia 27 Maryland 17

The Viles vs. Florida

This is one of those games that makes it tough to be a College Football Expert. It’s tough to gauge the Gators because they have not faced a true test this season. Still, your Expert has liked what he’s seen from Tim Tebow’s throwing arm and he certainly liked what the Gators did last season. The Viles defense this year doesn’t give anyone quite as much to get excited about. FLA 34 The Viles 20.

Michigan vs Notre Dumb

Your Expert told you last week that the only team on Michigan’s schedule worse than App St is Notre Dumb. The Dumb did absolutely nothing last week to change his mind about that and Michigan is pretty tiered of being the laughing stock of college football. This week, they get their first win. Michigan 27 Notre Dumb 6

Arkansas vs. Bama

Your Expert just can’t get past how bad Ark QB Andy Dick has looked in EVERY game he has played. He was pretty funny on that sitcom he did back in the early 90’s, but as a QB, he just looks lost. The Hogs running game is good, but it’s too tough for one dimensional teams to win on the road in the SEC. With a coach like Nick Saban, you have to think the Tide will find a way to stop McFadden and Roll in this one! Bama 38 Ark 17

Southern Cal vs. Nebraska

Coach Callahan is having a hard time brining the athletes he needs to Nebraska to run his offense. His state is filled with big ole, corn fed white boys. Not the type of players you need for a high powered passing attack. Yet for some reason, he foolishly continues to try and make his players into the kind of team they are not. You know where you find the type of players to run the Callahan system? California. You know what team runs that system to perfection? USC. Southern Cal 47 Neb 20

Boston College vs. Georgia Tech

Bet you thought your Expert had this one pegged as an upset special when you read there were FIVE upsets this week, didn’t you? Nope. Even though Coach Chan Chan is still as dumb as a bag of rocks, he still has his team playing very well. We didn’t learn anything about them from their dismantling of Samford, but the talent level on that defense is evident, so your Expert doubts the Yellow Jackets are ready to blow one, not yet. They want to get off to a little bit better start so they can REALLY disappoint their fans later. GT 23 BC 18

North Texas Hating Pick of the Week: North Texas vs. Bye

Your Expert does this joke every year. Has it gotten old yet? Bye 10 North Texas 3

Upset of the week #1: Louisville vs. Kentucky

Your Expert has half a mind to pick Kentucky to win the east this year (talk about an upset). They look like the best Wildcat team your Expert has ever seen. However, your Expert just likes that Florida team too much this year and it’s doubtful Kentucky can sustain enough defense to make it all the way through the SEC. They will still take care of Louisville though, who has even less defense than the Wildcats. Kentucky 47 Louisville 36

Upset of the Week #2: Ohio vs. Virginia Tech

Now Frank Solich, there’s a guy who knew how win at Nebraska (why did they fire him again, too much winning?) One thing he has had trouble doing in the past is driving sober. Coaching football, that comes easy to him. His Ohio team has been pretty close to a few upsets in recent years and with the recent slide by the Hokies, this is the week they get one! Ohio 17 Va Tech 13

Upset of the Week #3: Miss St vs. The Barn

In case you haven’t heard, ole Tubby is already making excuses about why his team will lose this game. Talking about what a good coach Sly is and what good things he is doing in Starkville. Truth is, Tubby knows his offensive line stinks, his QB cracks under pressure, and the Bulldogs had two very good defensive ends. Mississippi State sends the barners to 1-2. Miss St 17 The Barn 14

Upset of the Week #4: Ohio St vs. Washington

Your Expert is loving Ty Willingham more this week than he did last week, after the Huskies delivered the upset special of the week knocking off Boise State. This week they play one of those overrated Big 11 teams, Ohio State. State has very little offense to speak of this year and that will spell disaster for them when they face a fired up Washington team. Washington 19 Ohio St 17

Upset of the Week #5: Hawaii vs. UNLV

Your Expert almost called for the upset of the Warriors last week and now is glad he didn’t. They just barely slithered by La Tech as Hawaii just doesn’t play very well on the main land. UNLV is a program on the rise and are thinking they have something to prove. They would love to knock off an overrated top 25 team. Your Expert has never bought into the hype of Hawaii going 12-0 this year and this week, UNLV will end the perfect season when it’s just barely getting started. UNLV 35 Hawaii 34

Next week, Your Expert will be taking a well deserved vacation. Not to worry though fans, he is leaving you in good hands. He has shared some of powers of prognostication with his padawan, Darth WrongPicks, who will be filling in. Check him out next week and show the boy some love!

As always, a great read for cheap entertainment. :D

I've never asked, so I must...sadly. Whats up with the hating on North Texas?

Tider 27 said:

RollTideRandy tells this story at least once a year. It was 2002, Bama was coming off a loss to Oklahoma and trying to rebound against North Texas. RollTideRandy knew little of North Texas so he headed over to their Rivals message board so that maybe he could gain a little insight into the upcoming game. The first thread he sees is a North Texas vs. Bama “Predict the score” thread. He was pretty surprised that these folks weren’t just picking their team to win, but most were picking North Texas to win by at least 30 points! RollTideRandy posts a reply that says something like, “Gee guys, do you think there might me a teeny, tiny chance that Alabama might actually win this game?” He was then berated with a bunch of “Blah, Blah, Blah, bunch of cheaters, Blah, Blah, Blah, arrogant fans” garbage which RollTideRandy thought was rather uncalled for. (BTW, in case you don’t remember, Bama won that game 33-7.)

RollTideRandy continued to lurk on that board and observed North Texas fans acting the same way toward all fans of bigger schools who visited their board. They are the most unrealistic bunch you have ever seen to root for such a crummy team. You should check out that board before the season starts. Every year is going to be their “break out” year and they are going to go 12-0 and play in a BCS bowl. Basically, they just make themselves really easy to hate.

psychojoe said:
Is Freddy Kitchens still on their staff?

Bama 427, Arkansas 0.

Freddie is the TE's coach for the Cardinals right now and Jeff Rutledge is their QB coach. So they've got a couple of Bama Boys on the staff.

RollTideRandy said:
Tider 27 said:

RollTideRandy tells this story at least once a year. It was 2002, Bama was coming off a loss to Oklahoma and trying to rebound against North Texas. RollTideRandy knew little of North Texas so he headed over to their Rivals message board so that maybe he could gain a little insight into the upcoming game. The first thread he sees is a North Texas vs. Bama “Predict the score” thread. He was pretty surprised that these folks weren’t just picking their team to win, but most were picking North Texas to win by at least 30 points! RollTideRandy posts a reply that says something like, “Gee guys, do you think there might me a teeny, tiny chance that Alabama might actually win this game?” He was then berated with a bunch of “Blah, Blah, Blah, bunch of cheaters, Blah, Blah, Blah, arrogant fans” garbage which RollTideRandy thought was rather uncalled for. (BTW, in case you don’t remember, Bama won that game 33-7.)

RollTideRandy continued to lurk on that board and observed North Texas fans acting the same way toward all fans of bigger schools who visited their board. They are the most unrealistic bunch you have ever seen to root for such a crummy team. You should check out that board before the season starts. Every year is going to be their “break out” year and they are going to go 12-0 and play in a BCS bowl. Basically, they just make themselves really easy to hate.

Their team obviously is the same way. In an article in a magazine I read recently, they plain as day said that they WOULD beat Oklahoma and for people to wait and see.

I chuckled to myself as I watched that game.

IF State beats the Barn.... that could almost might make my year. I get ugly looks walking up to pick my son up from school. Bama gear on everyday. Yes I live in AuBarn. muhahaha

Back
Top Bottom