| FTBL Everyone gets replaced for inconsistency, except . . .

TerryP said:
Geez.

Zero INT's. Zero turnovers on JP, a patch work offensive line, receivers not getting open, running backs missing blocks...

Exactly. Not to mention the effect it would have on the chemistry of the offense. JP is our QB until the very end. I don't see a performance like last night continuing for him this season. The patchwork OL was the biggest problem IMO.

I expect everyone to get behind JP next weekend, for the sake of the offense.

alagator said:
TerryP said:
We only had two guys that were playing their normal positions by the 2nd quarter; Caldwell at Center and Davis at Right Guard.
Terry...

Football is often, correctly in my opinion, more
"a game of availability instead of ability."

I don't disagree with that in the least bit.

It's evidenced by two guys seeing playing time that are less than a year removed from playing on the defensive line. Even more so, when our left tackle is out instead of bringing in the #2 guy on the LT position we slid a guard over and bring in a G backup.

On a different note, both Gilbert and Toledo had excellent game plans on both sides of the ball for Tulane. I was very impressed with the job they did.

Argo said:
TerryP said:
Geez.

Zero INT's. Zero turnovers on JP, a patch work offensive line, receivers not getting open, running backs missing blocks...

Exactly. JP played with pressure ALL NIGHT. He didn't make any costly decisions and we came out with a victory.

If Wilson could have completed a few of the passes down the field when he had time and an open receiver (and he did have the opportunity), it would have forced Tulane to back off. They had zero respect for his ability to beat them.

While I don't put all of our offensive struggles on JPW, he didn't do anything to help himself. Like coach Saban said, there were times we missed blocks, and there were times when there were hot reads that he missed.

First, I understand the point about inconsistent play usually results in getting replaced...IF someone can do better. Granted we didn't even get the chance to see someone else...but we seem to be missing something of prime importance about last nights game...

:arrow: We couldn't afford putting somebody else in w/ the possible upside of slightly better execution w/ the possible downside of making bad plays OR turnovers.

No other substitution makes such an impact on ball contral than the QB.

Therefore, to put it simply, the upside doesn't come close or cover the to the downside.

Fact of the matter was the offense was wipped in the most critical area & we were FORTUNATE to walk away w/ a win.

FORTUNATE in every sense of the word, which by the way is a common thread for National Champion teams b/c they all get to have to ball roll there way. NO EXCEPTIONS :)

JPW did this same thing all year last year. He is either great or really bad!!! When he gets rattled what would it hurt to take him out for a few plays to settle him down talk to him??? This in turn gives McElory some playing time too and a chance for us to see what he can do in a game..

Bamagirl325 said:
JPW did this same thing all year last year. He is either great or really bad!!! When he gets rattled what would it hurt to take him out for a few plays to settle him down talk to him??? This in turn gives McElory some playing time too and a chance for us to see what he can do in a game..

Thanks for making my point, exactly!!!

Must I remind ya'll that Coach Saban himself said JPW gives us our best chance to win therefore we need to get behind him? I'm as disappointed in the performance as all of you, but that comment from Saban lets me know we have no other option unless an injury occurs. :?

I don't know why we have no other option, but those seem to be the facts. It seems most schools have at least one decent back-up. We obviously don't. This leaves me scratching my head.

Saban came in and recruited Fanuzzi - that obviously didn't pan out. The year before Shula recruited McElroy - a top 10-15 QB with a state championship on Texas of all places. That obviously hasn't brought overwhelming results. Then there is also Star. I can't call his development a disappointment because he's only been here a month or two, but he's obviously not ready for the SEC.

So, while other programs bring 'em year to year here we are with no options. :? I just hope JPW comes back strong next week. We absolutely can NOT go into Arkansas with him being iffy and inconsistent. He has to NOT let this past Saturday affect his mental state. WE can't afford it. We can't afford one of his "funks".

I am a JPW fan. I just wish he would be more consistent. McElroy will never get any better with out any game time experience either. Just put him in for couple of plays to settle JPW down and to also show him he can be replaced and it might do wonders for his attitude towards each game.

Pulling your starting quarterback during a game is like replacing the engine in the middle of a NASCAR race. It should be avoided if at all possible. I felt like we should run the ball more and keep changing running backs like we did against Clemson. But I also understand that having a injured O line makes it hard to come up with a good plan. I would rather have a good O line and a mediocre QB than I have a super star QB and no blocking. Fact is, the offensive line is the most important part of the offense and the most overlooked.

aMAZEnFan said:
Bamagirl325 said:

Thanks for making my point, exactly!!!

The problem is there is nothing to suggest he got rattled in the game.

If he had made mistakes after a few dropped ball I would agree with you. He didn't.

1st series.

Incomplete pass to Walker on 2nd down that a pass broken up by Josh Lumar on 3rd down.

2nd series.

After moving the ball successfully and reaching two first downs another incomplete pass on a 2nd and long which was broken up again by Lumar. 3rd and long pass incomplete under pressure.

Midway through the second quarter after a sack he was in a 3rd and long situation. Pass incomplete to Scott due to the coverage/hit by Evan Lee.

Later in the second quarter. 2nd and long, pass incomplete to McCoy. When right back to him and it was broken up by one of their defenders, Harris.

Those are the only situations where JP had back to back incompletions. All in the first half, all of the 2nd attempts were plays made by the defenders.

That, my friends, isn't getting rattled. I

If anything, based on watching those plays more than once, it shows the WR could use some more "fight" when it comes to getting the ball.

JPW gets smashed all night because nobody could block a defender. He didn't turn the ball over (look at last year) and we won the game I can see pulling him. I'm on the Julio bandwagon, but Jesulio dropped a pass, so we should bench him too. 5 other players dropped the ball too, so pull them too.

Star Jackson gives a better chance to win that JPW?? I highly doubt it or Star would be our starting qb.

Man, if we bench every player that didn't play well on Saturday we don't have a team to field and therefor we forfiet alot of games, but by golly inconsistant JPW should be benched after game number 2.

Cory

We could just run the damn football. Passing is for girls. Saban said himself that they got away from the game plan. I'm sick of the foward pass at Bama. You do not have to pass to win, you only have to be able to pass. Saban may be the greatest coach in the world, but Ingram with only two carries in the first half is a big mistake, I don't care who the coach is.

"(JPW) gives us our best chance to win." -Nick Saban, Head Coach of the University of Alabama

If THE COACH feels motivated to make a change, AND he as a better option to replace the QB with, THEN he will. The fact that he has not, means that it is his $4 Million opinion that JPW should not be replaced.

I think it is that simple.

But its not, these people's knowledge of football makes Saban's look infinitesimal. Saban should just take his laptop out on the field and make calls based on what the football gods of crimson tusks think.

LBS said:
"(JPW) gives us our best chance to win." -Nick Saban, Head Coach of the University of Alabama

If THE COACH feels motivated to make a change, AND he as a better option to replace the QB with, THEN he will. The fact that he has not, means that it is his $4 Million opinion that JPW should not be replaced.

I think it is that simple.

Well stated.

Porter said:
Red_Tsunami said:
We could just run the damn football. Passing is for girls. Saban said himself that they got away from the game plan.

When did he say that?

He said they got away from the game plan a little bit when it came to how they were going to use Terry Grant in the offense.

He said we got out of the game plan a little bit "in terms of the perimeter and using him as a receiver." It wasn't about being out of the game plan IE: running the ball.

See the Tulane post game interview, part II on Tidesports, about 50 seconds in...

Back
Top Bottom