Ever been a commercial soundtrack so popular?

TerryP

Staff
If you've watched any TV lately I'm sure you've seen the new Chevy Sonic commercial.

The soundtrack for the commercial piqued my interest, I found it on iTunes and downloaded it. Good tune, IMO.

It has me thinking...has there been a commercial that the soundtrack was as popular as this one?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sv6dMFF_yts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry, I'd only seen/heard that ad once before now. Has there ever been a more popular song to an ad? Yes. Led Zepelin's Rock and Roll is used in a Caddy ad, and Beatles' Revolution was in an old Nike ad. Hundreds more popular. Heck, Crabman's dancing OfficeMax Rubberband Man is more popular.

Now, if your question is, "Has there ever been a song that became more popular after airing in an ad?", perhaps New Soul (the "Give and Take" song) by Yael Naim became better known. She's a real sweetie...

[video=youtube;E98Eyl5Et0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E98Eyl5Et0w[/video]

[video=youtube;XgEfYGzojcA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgEfYGzojcA[/video]

Whether I'm at work or at home I've usually have a TV on, somewhere. Paying full attention to what is on? Rarely.

I've never seen that Mac commercial Tim.

The Sonic commercial was one of the Superbowl ads as I understand it...it caught my attention watching it shoot up the charts on most downloaded songs on iTunes.

I wouldn't think it would be a regional issue considering how close you live to where I do...we are basically in the same part of the country.

Swamp, that song sounds like it belongs as the title track to a movie on Lifetime.

Whether I'm at work or at home I've usually have a TV on, somewhere. Paying full attention to what is on? Rarely.

I've never seen that Mac commercial Tim.

The Sonic commercial was one of the Superbowl ads as I understand it...it caught my attention watching it shoot up the charts on most downloaded songs on iTunes.

I wouldn't think it would be a regional issue considering how close you live to where I do...we are basically in the same part of the country.

Swamp, that song sounds like it belongs as the title track to a movie on Lifetime.

Mac commercial's about four years old. The publicity of the Israeli singer catapulted her into the U.S. top ten, the only time an Israeli performer's been there.

In the history of the Wacky Womens Network (aka Lifetime), only three movies aired - 1. Woman grows stronger after having been attacked/beaten/abused/cheated on, ultimately killing male antagonist; 2. With the help of friend/mother/sister, woman grows stronger, overcoming adversity and ultimately killing male antagonist; and of course, 3. Woman's evil twin emerges to take her place, cheat on her with her husband, and ultimate attempt to kill woman until they make up at the end, join forces, and kill cheating husband.

RTR,

Tim

I also fell victim to that commercial and bought it on iTunes.

But I'm 24 and apart of a horrible hipster generation that makes me wanna puke, what's your excuse? :icon_biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom