| RECRUIT šŸ“° National Signing Day~ Wednesday, Feb. 2nd.

TerryP

Staff
I'm still going to take tomorrow off because that's just what I've been doing; for years. There's likely on reason. I expected Alabama's day to be nothing but things may have changed a bit over the last few days with the addition of Wolford to the staff.

There have been two official visitors these past few weeks. One you're already familiar with but not in the same way you'd normally know a recruit.

Danny Lewis is the tight end you saw in one of the video's with Kelly (LSU.) He was originally committed to Cincy. The weekend before last he was on campus and at that time it looked to be a three team race: LSU, UF, and UA.

I don't expect Lewis to sign with Bama though he'd be a nice guy to compliment Niblack.

Jalen Farmer wasn't even news a few weeks ago. The idea of him attending school at Alabama was a surprise when he took an official to Tuscaloosa over the weekend. The timing here is what catches my eye.

Farmer was headed to Florida until the Mullen fiasco. Wolford, then at UK, comes on strong now Farmer headed to Kentucky looks like a real possibility. As Farmer is visiting Tuscaloosa we soon start hearing of Marrone going back to the NFL. Not long afterwards we also hear Wolford is headed to Tuscaloosa. His high school coach said JF wasn't planning on taking any visits until these shake-ups occurred.

For a guy to not be on the radar, so to speak, to taking an official visit? My reaction was more of a "hrrmmphh. šŸ¤” That's a little weird." Then Marrone ... then Wolf. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

It wouldn't be a shock to see Farmer commit to Bama. Otherwise, I don't expect a lot of "sizzle" on the Tide's end.

Farmer: 6'6", 325 lbs. (Committed to Florida.)

I think the date has passed to where he could transfer and play for another SEC program next season.

In future years, that deadline will be May 1. The NCAA says it extended this yearā€™s deadline due to the timing of this rule change. Exceptions could be made in the event of a head coaching change, the release said.

Update. The SEC has a deadline for SEC only teams to enter the portal and play in the fall. I didn't know this deal.

However, the rule change does come with a caveat. In order for an athlete to be eligible immediately at their school of choice, they must declare their intent to transfer by Feb. 1 for fall sports, May 1 for winter sports and July 1 for spring sports. The athlete does not need to choose his or her destination but must at least be in the transfer portal by those dates.

"The SEC has established a deadline for declaring an intention to transfer in fall sports as February 1 in order to create time windows that are more consistent across fall, winter and spring sports," Sankey said.

Last edited:

The Alabama football class of 2022 appeared complete, Nick Saban nearly said as much in December. But an expected signing stayed home, which led to an offer extended to Danny Lewis. On Wednesday afternoon, Lewis took the Crimson Tide up on the offer.

Lewis, a three-star from Westgate (La.) High, became the 24th player of Alabamaā€™s class, he announced on his Instagram. He took off his shirt to reveal a red polo. Alabama beat out LSU and Florida for the tight end.

Well, itā€™s official, with Stewartā€™s commitment, A$M broke the all time 247 Composite scoring record Bama set with last yearā€™s class. They may ā€œshatterā€ it if they also sign Jacoby Mathews. Amazing what massive booster funded NIL offerings can do for a teamā€™s recruiting class. I have no proof of that and itā€™s certainly legal since everythingā€™s legal concerning NIL money. The NIL legislation combined with numerous wealthy boosters and low class Jimbo can easily equate to a run of these type classes for A$M. Thatā€™s especially true if they parlay all this talent into a NC.

Letā€™s just see what A&M can do with all of that talent, you still have to be able to keep them happy and coach them. Iā€™ll take a top five class all year with the way saving coaches versus getting the number one class and have Jimbo coach

Nick speaks on NIL

Speaking alongside ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit and Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin, Saban first discussed NIL and how he 'draws the line' at using the new legislation to lure recruits into signing.

"I think name, image and likeness is an opportunity for players to work and make money, which they have always been able to do," Saban said. "So it's not a bad thing that they can use their name, image and likeness to do that. I think when we start using name, image and likeness to get a player to come to our school, then that's where I kind of draw the line. Because that's not why we did this."

The Alabama football class of 2022 appeared complete, Nick Saban nearly said as much in December. But an expected signing stayed home, which led to an offer extended to Danny Lewis. On Wednesday afternoon, Lewis took the Crimson Tide up on the offer.

Lewis, a three-star from Westgate (La.) High, became the 24th player of Alabamaā€™s class, he announced on his Instagram. He took off his shirt to reveal a red polo. Alabama beat out LSU and Florida for the tight end.
Intriguing prospect! Doesn't blow you away with speed, but he's a really fluid athlete and looks smooth. He's got a prototypical body type and looks like a willing blocker.... I can see why CNS moved on him late in the process... He could work into an every down TE.

I wonder if this drove him away from LSU

Letā€™s just see what A&M can do with all of that talent, you still have to be able to keep them happy and coach them. Iā€™ll take a top five class all year with the way saving coaches versus getting the number one class and have Jimbo coach
The key will be if Jimbo lands a truly elite QB a la Winston. Heā€™s shown he can keep the talent happy because he lets them get away with just about anything (also a la Winston).

Back
Top Bottom