| NEWS ESPN finalizes college football broadcast pairings for 2019

S

SEC Sports

ESPN's front-facing talent during college football broadcasts this season will look a good bit different the network announced on Monday, revealing its team of analysts and their respective roles this fall.

Several of these hires, promotions and resignings have been reported this summer, but the Worldwide Leader didn't make them official until this week. SportsCenter's Matt Barrie, a longtime morning anchor, will be in the lead chair for ESPN's Saturday college football game breaks and updates this season, sharing his valuable expertise on the sport and warm quirkiness with viewers.

Barrie replaces Adnan Virk, who was fired in February after reportedly leaking confidential company information and failing to fully cooperate with an investigation into possible sensitive information leaks to the media. Virk was most popular with college football fans and routinely anchored the national desk on Saturday afternoons during game-breaks.

He has more than 100,000 followers on Twitter and is active on social media.

From ESPN's press room:

Matt Barrie and Kevin Connors will assume new roles during college football’s 150th anniversary season, as Barrie will anchor ESPN’s studio coverage and Connors will undertake the same role on ESPN2. Further solidifying both studio teams, ESPN has re-signed analysts Jesse Palmer and Jim Mora to new contracts, with Palmer teaming up with fellow analyst Joey Galloway on ESPN and Mora reuniting with Emmanuel Acho on ESPN2.

For Barrie, Galloway and Palmer, in addition to their traditional Saturday studio wraps, the new team will also work on the network’s Thursday and Friday football coverage throughout the season. On Saturdays, the trio will cap their days with College Football Final, as the one-hour show highlights the day that was in college football at the conclusion of the night’s games.

In addition to Barrie and expanded roles for Galloway, Acho and Palmer, the network also added former NFL quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Ryan Leaf to their arsenal as well as former NFL punter Pat McAfee for behind-the-mic roles.

Sanchez, a former BCS national champion at USC and longtime NFL vet landed with ABC-ESPN as one of the conglomerate’s lead college football studio analysts, where he will join Kevin Negandhi and Jon Vilma. He replaces Mack Brown, who left his broadcasting job to coach at North Carolina.

ESPN is pairing Leaf with play-by-play man Clay Matvick to call games on ESPN2 and ESPNU. Leaf, who called games for the Pac-12 Network and SiriusXM last season, is a former Heisman Trophy finalist who went No. 2 in the NFL Draft before his career was derailed by drug addiction.

McAfee will help anchor ESPN's "Thursday Night Football" coverage this fall alongside former Colts teammate Matt Hasselbeck, Adam Amin and Molly McGrath. Since retiring as a player after the 2016 season, McAfee has worked as a radio host, analyst for Barstool Sports and made appearances as a commentator for WWE.

His television broadcast debut came in 2018 when he worked a Baylor-Texas Tech matchup and later, an NFL game as a color analyst for Fox Sports.

You are actually quoting lyrics from KISS? Oh my!

Do you even classic rock? Man does not live by Americana alone. I run the gamut on musical tastes, although my rap likes evaporate with anything newer than Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five, I have season tix for Broadway shows at the Fox, and I hit the Ryman in December/January for an authentic Grand Ole Opry. Middle boy is the lead guitarist for a traveling country band, and he picks up other gigs from bro country (shudder) to classic country, classic rock and so forth. I've been everywhere - musically - and I have the 45 of Hank Snow's rendition to boot.

RTR,

Tim

Do you even classic rock?
I used to "classic rock." While building a workshop/shed/man cave with a friend this last month I've listened to more music than I have in five years. (Outside of house music at different establishments I visit.) It's not a case of being locked into to a particular genre of music. I have just found myself listening to podcasts where in the past that time would have been spent with music.

On a different note, somewhat related ...

While listening to a local channel for these three, four weeks now I guess I've heard commercials about UA at least three times a day. The adverts were about online courses and quite frankly, almost have me. There are a few things they are offering that I already, pretty much, know how to do (IE Web Stack Development, etc.) Knowing how, and having a class that says you've been taught how...two different things.

In a month you may be talking to a bloke that's a full time student and employed, full time. Problem is...I can't distinguish if this is a want or a need.

I used to "classic rock." While building a workshop/shed/man cave with a friend this last month I've listened to more music than I have in five years. (Outside of house music at different establishments I visit.) It's not a case of being locked into to a particular genre of music. I have just found myself listening to podcasts where in the past that time would have been spent with music.

On a different note, somewhat related ...

While listening to a local channel for these three, four weeks now I guess I've heard commercials about UA at least three times a day. The adverts were about online courses and quite frankly, almost have me. There are a few things they are offering that I already, pretty much, know how to do (IE Web Stack Development, etc.) Knowing how, and having a class that says you've been taught how...two different things.

In a month you may be talking to a bloke that's a full time student and employed, full time. Problem is...I can't distinguish if this is a want or a need.

If the degree or certification will help you professionally, it's a need. If you just want to be able to justify to others - not to get or advance in a job - then it's a want. There's nothing wrong with "wants" in a person's self development - the want has to be there even if it's a need. I've learned more in the last two years than the previous two years, some in a college/exec form, much from what I've thrown myself into to be stretched personally and professionally, and much from a simple curiosity to learn. At 54, I still consider pursuing another formal degree from time to time, but I probably won't do it. These days, there are too many short burst alternatives. I really want my Wilderness First Responder certification, but it'll have to wait a bit.

Get busy living, or get busy dying...

RTR,

Tim

If the degree or certification will help you professionally, it's a need. If you just want to be able to justify to others - not to get or advance in a job - then it's a want. There's nothing wrong with "wants" in a person's self development - the want has to be there even if it's a need
We're in the same boat here...
I've learned more in the last two years than the previous two years, some in a college/exec form, much from what I've thrown myself into to be stretched personally and professionally, and much from a simple curiosity to learn. At 54, I still consider pursuing another formal degree from time to time, but I probably won't do it. These days, there are too many short burst alternatives. I really want my Wilderness First Responder certification, but it'll have to wait a bit.
...and looking at the same dock, here.

The want/need argument I'm having with myself has more to do with the time I'd have to invest. The thing is, it would be a short burst alternative by my calculations. Post grad, online, pretty much means work at your own pace except for a few live situations. I'm guessing, with a little information backing the guess, I could get though fairly quickly. 12-8 school, 9 or 10 'til whenever I'm finished at work, and I'm looking at 40 weeks at a minimum.

It IS an addendum to a piece of parchment that won't hurt fiscally, physically, or mentally. We'll see...discussed it with work a few days ago and told them I'd let them know by the 15th.

Get busy living, or get busy dying...
I got one of those down pat. Some would say both. I'll contemplate that later today when I get finished in the garden...over a Yuengling with a nice smoke.

@It Takes Eleven, curious thought crosses my mind. Cranberries?

I enjoyed them, not a huge fan. So much music out there. If I'm working around the house and want something in the background, I prefer Americana or some red dirt country. Turnpike Troubadours, Cross Canadian Ragweed (and Canada and Boland's (sp.) subsequent separate groups), Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Bruce Robison/Kelly Willis, Blackberry Smoke and the like.

It's not a case of being locked into to a particular genre of music. I have just found myself listening to podcasts where in the past that time would have been spent with music.

In the past two years I've probably listened to the least amount of music I've ever listened to. The only time I really listen to music is when I'm in the car with the wife (and her music makes me want to slam my head through the window), the mood just hits me right or someone suggests something. Otherwise I'm listening to podcasts now.

Pretty much all Southern Rock, Tom Petty, Classic rock stuff like Foreigner, Bad Company, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd, Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Heart (I grew up in love with Ann Wilson). Stuff never gets old.

Pretty much all Southern Rock, Tom Petty, Classic rock stuff like Foreigner, Bad Company, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd, Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Heart (I grew up in love with Ann Wilson). Stuff never gets old.

Outside of what I heard from my parents growing up with some of those groups (Zeppelin, Stones, Hendrix, etc.) the only ones of that group that I've ever actually actively listened to was Skynyrd :o

Outside of what I heard from my parents growing up with some of those groups (Zeppelin, Stones, Hendrix, etc.) the only ones of that group that I've ever actually actively listened to was Skynyrd :o

Well, if power guitars do it for you, on the search button you need to get to Pandora, put in some of these bands and listen to what comes up. You'll never go back. PINK FLOYD, is a must, Jethro Tull, Rush, Bob Seager, Allman Brothers, Foghat, Scorpian, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Eagles, Deep Purple, and the list just keeps getting better.

Well, if power guitars do it for you, on the search button you need to get to Pandora, put in some of these bands and listen to what comes up. You'll never go back. PINK FLOYD, is a must, Jethro Tull, Rush, Bob Seager, Allman Brothers, Foghat, Scorpian, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Eagles, Deep Purple, and the list just keeps getting better.

Not into rock at all, honestly lol

Back
Top Bottom