| CURRENT EVENTS Elon Musk...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
I've gotten to the point where I'll watch pretty much any interview with him that he gives these days.... I wish he'd go back on Rogan soon and do that format. I don't agree with him down the line on everything, but I agree with him on a good bit. I appreciate that he saved, and I don't use that word lightly, Twitter. But what I really enjoy is that he isn't afraid to answer questions, when he has little to gain and a lot to lose by doing so. He has become an enemy of the far left (and to an extent the far right), which tells me he's doing just fine. It is hilarious to see the pain, bewilderment, and arrogance exude from people like this NBC interviewer when they sit down with him... they absolutely hate that they can't control him and that he won't play ball with them like all the rest.

For one, too many people were getting perma banned for silly shit while others (like terrorists for example) could tweet with impunity. Along the same lines in many ways, there was also the obvious bias that went on from the very top all the way down to the bottom employees at the HQ that pushed and amplified an agenda for one side while often times squashing the other side (suppressing certain trending topics for example). Now, I'm also of the opinion that Twitter was their toy, and for the most part they could do with it as they wished... even if I didn't like or agree with it. I certainly had the option to leave... but there was just no other viable place to go with a community filled with the variety and quality of voices I cared to follow. So, I stuck with it, albeit begrudgingly at times. I think Musk is much more transparent, much more fair to both sides, and is it least trying to put stuff in place to make the product better... the community notes addition for example, at least from what I've seen, has been great (and it has been thrown on people from the left and the right).

I know there is a lot of Twitter hate, but if you curate your own lists to include only those you want to hear from and are useful to you it is a great tool. Mine is almost all sports and a few very particular news outlets and reporters (definitely not the primary media people usually follow). As such, it keeps me informed quickly and efficiently when I open it up.

No matter how smart he is, he is more Edison than Tesla. He buys things and then promotes them as his more than creates things himself. There is benefit to that, but too many pretend like he is the innovator when he isn't. He just knows how to spend money and promote things. Maybe he is more PT Barnum in some ways too.

No matter how smart he is, he is more Edison than Tesla. He buys things and then promotes them as his more than creates things himself. There is benefit to that, but too many pretend like he is the innovator when he isn't. He just knows how to spend money and promote things. Maybe he is more PT Barnum in some ways too.
O.K. more like Edison, but still, the man had the insight to develop a rocket that could return and land or knew to hire people that could develop that and believe it was possible.

O.K. more like Edison, but still, the man had the insight to develop a rocket that could return and land or knew to hire people that could develop that and believe it was possible.
There is a whole story behind that too. He bought his way onto the Mars Corporation board and started trying to buy Russian ICBM rockets with Michael Griffin. When the Russians refused due to the US backing out of some treaties, he decided to start Space X instead. And then that same MIchael Griffin became the NASA head and decided to start a program for commercial entities to take on NASA's role and gave the unproven Space X the contract before they had ever flown a single rocket. Yeah, rich people helping each other get richer is a theme. TBH, Space X would have happened at any company that got that contract since they were the only provider after that. The smart folks would always have gone to the company that is the only one who can provide reliable employment through government contracts.

There is a whole story behind that too. He bought his way onto the Mars Corporation board and started trying to buy Russian ICBM rockets with Michael Griffin. When the Russians refused due to the US backing out of some treaties, he decided to start Space X instead. And then that same MIchael Griffin became the NASA head and decided to start a program for commercial entities to take on NASA's role and gave the unproven Space X the contract before they had ever flown a single rocket. Yeah, rich people helping each other get richer is a theme. TBH, Space X would have happened at any company that got that contract since they were the only provider after that. The smart folks would always have gone to the company that is the only one who can provide reliable employment through government contracts.
All of that's looks like a pretty smart business man to me. 🤷‍♂️

PayPal was a genius idea. Did he get that idea from others? I don’t remember a previous P2P but I was young when that PP started.
A handful of guys started PayPal...it didn't start out as PayPal, or as a currency exchange app...I want to say it was security, designed towards handheld devices, and didn't go over well and the company switched focus.

It was Infinity or something like that ... I'd have to google it.

All of that's looks like a pretty smart business man to me. 🤷‍♂️
Of course it is. And it shows he may or may not be the best at anything but buying people off. I feel that is corrupt and probably cheated us out of something better. All it got us was the one that a corrupt official was friends with. That is good business for them but bad for everyone else.

Last edited:
Of course it is. And it shows he may or may not be the best at anything but buying people off. I feel that is corrupt and probably cheated us out of something better. All it got us was the one that a corrupt official was friends with. That is good business for them but bad for everyone else.
I get it, but find me a Billionaire that's doesn't and is not. Bill Gates, Soros, Bezos, Salman of Saudi?

Last edited:
Doesn't make it right or something to celebrate.
Speaking as someone who lives in rural Alabama & had dial-up speeds for years I will definitely celebrate him. I’ve waited for a looonnngg time & no one else (hughesnet, Att, etc…) came through ( and didn’t give a shit TBH) . Musk made it possible for me to join the modern day business (and entertainment) world. So that’s something I’ll celebrate.

Back
Top Bottom