• Minnesota(6NC last in 1960)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yale(11NC Last in 1909 )

• Harvard(8NC Last in 1919?)

• Texas(4NC)

• PSU(2NC with 5 Perfect Seasons under Joe Pa)

• Others(FSU,LSU,UGA,etc.)

• Total voters

Crimson323

Verified Member
I have been pondering for a while...what is the Criteria for being considered "arguably the greatest" CFB team of all time.

Bama can be because of the 12/17 NC's they have and the 53 Bowl Trips and 30 Bowl Wins (which is a towering record over other teams), and 23 Confrence titles(2 from the 1930's when they were a part of the Southern Conference) and of course, the Bear's Legacy at UA.

ND is known world wide largely because of the Catholic faith. 1.2 Billion(2.1 Billion Christians total: est.) people consider themselves Roman Catholic or some denomination thereof. ND translates football well to the Catholic masses(NO, I didn't forget about BC's rich Irish-Catholic roots), and are considered largely by the American public to be The Greatest CFB Team of all time.

The Irish have 11 NC's acknowledged by the University, and about 3000 by their fan base and the AP. I have counted 12 in the SI Sports Almanac(circa 1996 edition). 8 of those were won before 1950, they didn't deserve 1966(all to themselves, we all know Bama should have had '66), and haven't won an official NC since 1988 nor a bowl game in their last eight tries. Only 4 times did ND play a post season game and have a NC in the same year. They have two things going for them, The media has a love affair with Leprechauns and the Irish have for a number of years had the record for win percentage and games won(Michigan has been competition in the past few years though) I can hardly consider them "the Greatest of all time". They may be the most recognized team in CFB history, but not the greatest. My top 4 teams are as follows:

1. Bama (12/17 NC's) first one: '25 last: 1992
2. Michigan (11 NC's) first one: '01 last: 1997
3. Notre Dame (11/3000 NC's) first one: '24 last: 1988
4. USC (10/11 NC's) first one: '32 last: 2004/2003

Based on titles, wins, win %, Conf. Titles, Bowl games, bowl wins, etc., choose the greatest team in CFB history. Some research may be in order.

Gee. Wonder who is gonna win this poll? :lol: You should have left BAMA out of the poll and then issued the question "other than BAMA, who is the greatest....". Otherwise it is going to look a little lopsided.

We shall see... but you're right PC, I am more interested in hearing the other's opinions on what criteria a team would need to be considered one of the greatest or the greatest.

Crimson323 said:
We shall see... but you're right PC, I am more interested in hearing the other's opinions on what criteria a team would need to be considered one of the greatest or the greatest.

i would say total domination in a given time span, let's say 5 yrs, that would cover an entire recruiting class.

post-season appearances and records should count, even though with the proliferation of bowl games and thus sub-500 teams going to bowls this little stat is going to have a lot less credence in the next 25 years.

but most important, did that team change the landscape of college football. did other teams try and recreate your offensive or devensive schemes, coaching styles, recruiting strategy.

with that said ALABAMA has to be the WINNER!!!!!

the rose bowl victories shined the light on the souths way of playing football,

bamas stranglehold on bowl records,

and Wade, Thomas, and The Bear changed coaching for generations after them.

that's my two-cents!!!! :wink:

tidentrue12 said:
Crimson323 said:

post-season appearances and records should count, even though with the proliferation of bowl games and thus sub-500 teams going to bowls this little stat is going to have a lot less credence in the next 25 years.
Well in 2007 they are instating the plus one system...the Championship game will be held in Phoenix, I know very little details. This plus one is the beginning of the end for the long and illustrious era of Bowl Games(even though they are using them as the base for the plus one system).

Crimson323 said:
tidentrue12 said:
Crimson323 said:

Well in 2007 they are instating the plus one system...the Championship game will be held in Phoenix, I know very little details. This plus one is the beginning of the end for the long and illustrious era of Bowl Games(even though they are using them as the base for the plus one system).

From what I hear... it seems that this plus one format is just one more added BCS game for the NC title matchup which will take rotation at the other BCS sites... yet the BCS sites will still have their bowl games as well.

It is one more step to something we need... but not a solution. It just makes about 5 BCS games instead of just 4. Theres alot of talk with the incoming Fox TV contract (...I believe its Fox) that this will also be a push in a positive direction, as Fox might allow some type of playoff format with the plus one format.

Personally Vatz, as always, we are going to disagree. You never said you supported the playoff system, but I assume you do? I think there are better ways of resolving the CFB tabacle of outright electing the sole National Championship Team. A commitee of former coaches and current, and players and maybe even sports writters and University Presidents deciding on the National Champions. Reverting back to and relying on the AP would even be better, they have been doing it since 1936, not flawlesly I might add, but still better than the current BCS Monster.

Well, actually I was just going into the plus one format and the upcoming Fox contract with the BCS.

The whole playoff thing is another subject... but you are correct, I do think a 4-8 team playoff would be a fair way in determining who is the better team.

Back
Top Bottom