| RECRUIT DE Jordan Davis, enrolled at JUCO (UPDATE: Davis "re-commits" to Bama)

• Thread starter Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
  • Start date
M

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

Jordan Davis signed with Alabama in December.

An Alabama signee from the 2018 class is enrolled at a junior college.

Jordan Davis, a four-star defensive end from Memphis, arrived at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi, coach Glenn Davis told AL.com on Tuesday. The early signee originally intended to enroll early at Alabama but will take the JUCO route instead. Glenn Davis said the 6-foot-5, 238-pound player arrived at the Wesson, Mississippi campus last week.

Glenn Davis said the new arrival has had a "great attitude" since landing on campus.

"Very excited about him being here," Glenn Davis said in a text message. "He looks like the guys that Coach Saban recruits normally. Bright future."

Jordan Davis was the No. 11 weakside defensive end in the 2018 signing class. He committed to Alabama in December 2016 after getting offers from Memphis and Kentucky when he was a 3-star recruit.

Jordan Davis spoke with AL.com in March 2017 to discuss his commitment to the Tide. He recalled a text he sent his mother after making the pledge.

"I told my mom, the struggles are over," Davis told AL.com at the time. "I promise you, the struggles are fixing to be over. Alabama has players known for going to the NFL, that's for a fact. Helping my mom get out of her struggles is one thing I thought about when I committed to Alabama."

Copiah-Lincoln was the junior college that produced Alabama cornerback DeQuan Menzie (2010-11). Kendell Jones, a 2016 Alabama signee, enrolled at Co-Lin that spring and is currently at Kilgore Junior College in Texas.

Jonathan Taylor also spent a season at Co-Lin after being dismissed from Georgia and his short stint at Alabama in 2015. He was dismissed in March 2015.

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
4-star Alabama signee enrolled at JUCO

He is in junior college and I believe once in JC they have to be there 2 years or graduate to become illegible. Can someone confirm?

That's very inaccurate. They can transfer anytime they want, as long as their grades are up to snuff (and they completed at least one semester).

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/DI_2-4_Transfer.pdf

So can someone explain this.... He won't be at Bama until 2020?

As long as his grades are where they need to be he could come in January.

He is in junior college and I believe once in JC they have to be there 2 years or graduate to become illegible. Can someone confirm?
That's very inaccurate. They can transfer anytime they want, as long as their grades are up to snuff (and they completed at least one semester).

The SEC has its own rules when it comes to JUCO players. As I recall, they have to graduate JUCO and have two years left.

Bama has been fortunate with a few that transferred in with three to play two.
This would only apply if he were in a prep school type of institution. IE: Only lacks a credit or core class to become eligible.

The SEC has its own rules when it comes to JUCO players. As I recall, they have to graduate JUCO and have two years left.

Bama has been fortunate with a few that transferred in with three to play two.
This would only apply if he were in a prep school type of institution. IE: Only lacks a credit or core class to become eligible.

That's what I figured. He's got a ways to go before suiting up for the good guys

"I told my mom the struggles are over....".

Damn. The struggle is real when you don't pass your classes!!!
Not to make excuses for Davis, but the public school systems in Memphis are horrible. A study of the educational system came out several years back and stated that the average graduate was only reading at a 9th grade level. I tutored at a middle school near downtown while in medical school and very few of the kids in my 8th grade class could speak proper English. Only a handful could read the passages from a 5th grade level book. So I decided to go to the library and look at the classics that were standard reading when I was in middle school. Huckleberry Finn hadn't been checked out since 1984.

Last edited:

Not to make excuses for Davis, but the public school systems in Memphis are horrible. A study of the educational system came out several years back and stated that the average graduate was only reading at a 9th grade level.

It's high school man... If you go to class, have a reasonably decent attitude, and try just a little bit - The teachers pass you.

Not to make excuses for Davis, but the public school systems in Memphis are horrible. A study of the educational system came out several years back and stated that the average graduate was only reading at a 9th grade level.

It's high school man... If you go to class, have a reasonably decent attitude, and try just a little bit - The teachers pass you.
Yeah, but that doesn't help with the state mandated core graduation exam or the SAT/ACT. No one gives you a pat on the back and passes you along.

Yeah, but that doesn't help with the state mandated core graduation exam or the SAT/ACT. No one gives you a pat on the back and passes you along.

Yes... Going to class and trying a little will help with those tests.

Back
Top Bottom