Crazy state/county laws involving building permits...

TerryP

Staff
It was one of those thoughts I had and now regret having. (Lance and I have had these conversations and he can attest to the FACT as soon as I have said something regarding home improvements, etc., sure as heck something happens immediately. Fingers crossed...)

I've been thinking about building a storage shed in the back yard for the last couple of years. I'm not out of room, but the addition would create a lot of extra room...so you see where I'm going.

I looked at several options including pre-built then delivered—I'd have to tear apart my fence to get it in the back yard— building one from complete scratch—more expensive that pre-fab—and a few other options.

So, finally decided on what I wanted and put the order in this morning.

I didn't think I would need a permit and hadn't planned on getting one even if someone told me I needed one...but, for the hell of it decided to look and see how they define the difference.

There's a level established by the county of $1000 bucks. Now, the shed is more, but I have no idea where the receipt is or is going to be if asked. I'll just say it's close...you get the picture.

Here's where it REALLY becomes interesting.

Understand, about every bit of these types of jobs I'd do myself even if I hadn't done it before...it's just too simple to figure and and just do it. But, according to the county web site if I hired someone to come in and paint the interior of the house? They'd have to have a permit. Put flooring in? Permit. Carpet? Permit. All of those I've done myself...but seriously? Ever heard of a licensed painter?!?!

"105.1.2.7 Trade permits. In addition to the required permits, the following trade
permits are required for the following installation and/or repairs; vinyl siding, insulation, roofing, floor covering/carpet, masonry, drywall, carpentry, stucco, paint/wallpaper, low voltage electrical, elevators, landscape/site development. "

All of these I've done outside of two: low voltage electrical (and I'm not sure how encompassing that is) and an elevator.

Even though much of the county where I live (Shelby, Alabama) consists of some of the nicer suburbs of Birmingham, you'd be surprised at what the building code allows and how littlle is required in the way of permits.A few miles north, in Jefferson County, the requirements are much more exacting.

Back
Top Bottom