| FTBL Cowherd picks Bama over Clemson

Swamptick

Verified Member
In his picks for college football upsets this year on this mornings show, Colin Cowherd picked us over Clemson and (suprisingly) said some VERY flattering things about Nick Saban and Alabama. He described Clemson as "good for at least 4 gags (choke games) a year" and called them "legendary for their ability to gag games during the year". It was as much a referendum on Clemson as it was on Bama.

If I can find a link to a printed version of his list I will send it to you.

He also chose Notre Dame over Michigan and USCw over LSU.

On the surface this might all sound like crap but his arguments were not bad.

Swamptick said:
In his picks for college football upsets this year on this mornings show, Colin Cowherd picked us over Clemson and (suprisingly) said some VERY flattering things about Nick Saban and Alabama. He described Clemson as "good for at least 4 gags (choke games) a year" and called them "legendary for their ability to gag games during the year". It was as much a referendum on Clemson as it was on Bama.

If I can find a link to a printed version of his list I will send it to you.

He also chose Notre Dame over Michigan and USCw over LSU.

On the surface this might all sound like crap but his arguments were not bad.

In what game?

Just his overall analysis made some sense. Of course it is easy to sound like you are making sense when there is nobody arguing with you. All of his upset picks hinged on the fact that the other teams either had rough schedules before their games or (as in the case of Bama/Clemson) the coaching staff would have the team ready because of time to prepare. I still have not been able to find a transcript of list of his picks.

I am not a Cowherd fan but I do find him entertaining. That said, I don't always put faith in what he says.

If the name 'Bama never passed over the rotten and stinking lips of Cowherd again, it would be too soon.

This man would gladly and enthusiastically flush the 'Bama program and 'Bama fans as deep down into the sewer as he could if given half a chance.

He is not for us, he does not like us, he is not a good person.

Any 'Bama fan that ever feels pride or is happy that this slug had the decency to say something good about Alabama is sinking pretty low for a compliment.

He is heavily bigoted and holds extreme ignorance concerning not only Alabama residents or 'Bama fans, but all Southerners.

His prejudices are very reminiscent of an Archie Bunker type caricature. I would venture to say that his actual IQ is very low and if not for radio, he would quite likely be a street urchin.

CtrlAltieDel said:
If the name 'Bama never passed over the rotten and stinking lips of Cowherd again, it would be too soon.

This man would gladly and enthusiastically flush the 'Bama program and 'Bama fans as deep down into the sewer as he could if given half a chance.

Any 'Bama fan that ever feels pride or is happy that this slug had the decency to say something good about Alabama is sinking pretty low for a compliment.

He is heavily bigoted and holds extreme ignorance concerning not only Alabama residents or 'Bama fans, but all Southerners.

His prejudices are very reminiscent of an Archie Bunker type caricature. I would venture to say that his actual IQ is very low and if not for radio, he would quite likely be a street urchin.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

RTR

Supergenius said:
CtrlAltieDel said:

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

RTR

LOL.

CtrlAltieDel said:

Yep....that about sums it up.

I like Cowherd most of the time. He's not too flattering to Southerners, but, I usually agree with him on most things. He uses the same ole stereotypes about the South. If I was not Southern, I'd think it was funny. He'll wholeheartedly jump on the Bama bandwagon if we start winning.

Interesting replies from a couple of posters. This could be something that we all discuss in another thread, perhaps at a later time.

It could be a thread devoted to the perceptions people around the country hold of 'Bama fans and Alabama residents and the level of acceptance that Alabamian's themselves have of these perceptions.

Personally, I suppose I am just too proud of myself, my family, the team I support and my state to ever allow myself to be neutered and ridiculed simply to listen to a football radio personality.

It reminds me of a beaten wife.

You know how battered wives say that even though my husband beats me like an unwanted animal quite often, he cares for me too and can be very loving on occasion.

I don't understand 'Bama fans who say that Cowherd really doesn't like them or who they are and would probably spit on them if he could and then turn around and say that every now and then he says something good about us so it makes it okay.

They know he despises them, they know that he wishes 'Bama would collapse and cease to exist, they know that he looks down on them as human beings, etc... Yet, they suck it all up and say that he is a wonderful guy who is misunderstood. Once we start to win he will love us again and everything will be great.

ericd said:
I like Cowherd most of the time. He's not too flattering to Southerners, but, I usually agree with him on most things. He uses the same ole stereotypes about the South. If I was not Southern, I'd think it was funny. He'll wholeheartedly jump on the Bama bandwagon if we start winning.

Like I said, there have been times where I DETESTED Cowherd and his bigotry. That said, he makes fun of just about every stereotype and can be very funny doing it. His job (like other sports radio personalities we know) is to stir the pot and piss people off. It gets the ratings.

I think ericd pretty much has Cowherd nailed. I think most of his opinions are fairly legit and he also makes fun of himself pretty hard at times too.

I am no Cowherd apologist but the guy can be funny. I have gone months without listening when he pissed me off but I just have to remember that he is hard on EVERYONE from time to time. He also brings up Alabama or at least mentions Alabama in context almost daily. He is one of the few national sports people who realizes that, love us or hate us, Alabama is relevant.

Back
Top Bottom