| FTBL Could the SEC stage its own college football playoff? It's all on the table at spring meetings (Versus an Alliance member /tournament champ?)

I heard Sankey quoted as saying there were 40 proposals being considered for the conference. I hope there's only a little difference in a lot of them. 40!

The SEC meetings start this week. A few things they're discussing are mentioned in the article.

There are two favored scheduling models that are most likely for the SEC:

• 1 and 7: If the SEC sticks with eight league games, this model would be best for the overall exposure and variety of league games, which Sankey values. (More Texas vs. Alabama and less of annual Georgia vs. Kentucky matchups.) Teams would get one rivalry game that's played every year -- think Auburn and Alabama or Oklahoma and Texas -- and then rotate through the other seven. The eight-game schedule would be better suited to the current four-team playoff system, as it allows for the customary cushy SEC non-league game late in the season. When there's a four-team playoff, there's little margin for error, and that could bring hesitation to play more league games and risk missing out on a CFP spot.
  • 3 and 6: If the SEC goes to a nine-game league scheduling format, this is the favored potential model. This involves each program having three teams that it plays every season. For example, it's thought that Georgia would play Auburn, Florida and South Carolina. It's not as restrictive and repetitive as pods and would still keep new programs rotating through SEC stadiums so it feels more like a league. (Georgia and Texas A&M have played just once, for example, since A&M joined the league in 2012.) The nine games would be better for the league and gladly embraced by TV partners, but it would be difficult if the College Football Playoff field remains narrow. (Saban has been vocal about wanting nine league games.)

We shall see...but i doubt leagues goes to more than 8....
Money games....the heck with fans wanting better that Monroe/Austen P/New Mexico state,...etc

And if they by chance go to 9....those NC games that looked promising....they get dumped?

Dumb stuff
I'm wondering why—how—you came to that conclusion.

A separation of P5 teams leaves 65, a number certainly to be smaller in the current conditions, leaving us with 40-45 teams. Two divisions, playing for a title, where these divisions have conferences under their umbrella.

The ACC and SEC are already facing the Alliance consisting of three conferences. Half of the conditions have already been met.

And after all, it would fill your desire for an expanded playoff.

I'm wondering why—how—you came to that conclusion.

A separation of P5 teams leaves 65, a number certainly to be smaller in the current conditions, leaving us with 40-45 teams. Two divisions, playing for a title, where these divisions have conferences under their umbrella.

The ACC and SEC are already facing the Alliance consisting of three conferences. Half of the conditions have already been met.

And after all, it would fill your desire for an expanded playoff.

I dont know Terry....
Just seems....like Sank is messing with golden goose...
Sounds like something congress would do...
And we have a all SEC championship....the SEC championship...
...and I like to see CFP expanded....but not to 12...6-8...ok..
Just a lot sounds like "dumb stuff"

Sounds like something congress would do...
Frankly, it's one of the only recourse's to right the ship.
I dont know Terry....
Just seems....like Sank is messing with golden goose...
Here's where we'll agree. 🙃

There are several sports I can point to as examples: the MLB and the NBA are two here.

MLB lost fans when the sport entered the "strike era." When it hit the steriod era that fan base took another hit.

We've seen the NBA lose fans for several reasons, most recently, social justice comments. Stepping back over the years you'll find fans pointing to "no defense" as a reason they don't follow the sport any longer.

We have college football fans who are stepping back from the sport; some leaving entirely. The portal and the NIL situations have driven them away.

Here's the kicker. The portal and NIL situations have just as much capability of driving schools away from the sport. There are discussions now about how the proposed California state legislation could drive a school like Stanford to say, "forget football." How can a school like San Diego State compete against your D1 schools? I can see them quickly just choosing not to participate. Stanford, as an all Olympic program school.

Some great input here. One thing I may have missed on here are in another thread? How will the SEC do it Championship game? Will it take the four top teams and have them play each other, then the two winners play each other for the SEC Crown? My friend would like to know!

Some great input here. One thing I may have missed on here are in another thread? How will the SEC do it Championship game? Will it take the four top teams and have them play each other, then the two winners play each other for the SEC Crown? My friend would like to know!
Adding another game.....for SEC championship...ummmmm....
I doubt it....
but....i dont know whats gonna happen...messing with out sport ...I know that

Back
Top Bottom