| NEWS Could Alabama QB Mac Jones be a perfect fit for the Patriots? - DraftWire: USA Today Sports

B

Bama News

While Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are preparing for the Super Bowl, Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots are watching from home after missing the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

The Pats signed Cam Newton to give them a veteran presence at quarterback this season, but they don’t have a long-term solution at the game’s most important position.

That means New England could be targeting that kind of prospect in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft, and they just might find their man in Alabama’s Mac Jones.

Peter Schrager of NFL Network believes Jones would be a perfect fit with the Patriots, and he asked Jones himself what he thought about the possibility of playing for Belichick:

While Jones may lack some of the top-end physical traits of some of the other top quarterback prospects in this class, his combination of college production, intelligence and accuracy could be enticing to a team like the Patriots.

The big question now will be, after a strong week of practice at the Senior Bowl, will Jones even be on the board when the Pats make their first pick at No. 15 overall, or would they have to trade up to get him?

The big question now will be, after a strong week of practice at the Senior Bowl, will Jones even be on the board when the Pats make their first pick at No. 15 overall, or would they have to trade up to get him?
From what I've seen it looks like Matt Rhule and the Panthers are really high on Mac. Pats would have to trade up if that's true.

For me? I would love to see him as the new QB for the Steelers. Ain’t never gonna happen

For his sake I would love to see him land in NE. I do not want to see him go to a shit situation even if he ends up with a team I traditionally hate

The Panthers is intriguing as I believe they are partially a shit situation but I kinda think Rhule may be able to do something with some key pieces

For me? I would love to see him as the new QB for the Steelers. Ain’t never gonna happen

For his sake I would love to see him land in NE. I do not want to see him go to a shit situation even if he ends up with a team I traditionally hate

The Panthers is intriguing as I believe they are partially a shit situation but I kinda think Rhule may be able to do something with some key pieces
And what i find interesting...is...how many teams investin QBs in draft....and really dont do major investment in development.... or so it seems...

And what i find interesting...is...how many teams investin QBs in draft....and really dont do major investment in development.... or so it seems...

The turnover in coaches and GM's leads to a lot of that. These guys want to have "their own guy." But then, after they get "their own guy," they still get fired in 2 or 3 years and the cycle starts over. Also, IMO, way too many teams overreach in the draft on QB's. It'll happen this year with Trey Lance.

I personally wouldn’t take a QBs if I had a pick in the first 5 generally speaking. A pick in the 6-10 stage I would consider it but would need to be a semi-generational talent. This all assumes need and accepting that other teams are still going to make silly over extended picks. So many of the teams that jump on that QB in those first 10 picks because there are overhyped Players available are right back in that loop sooner rather than later. QB is important but a good solid o lineman or game changing pass rusher and then a QB in the second or 3rd round makes much more sense to me. JMO

I really don't know how to feel about Mac at the next level. Accuracy and intelligence never goes out of style... That is alone is so valuable. But the athleticism piece is also valuable... Mac moves very well in the pocket by sliding/shuffling away from the early pressure, but when he has to run I'm afraid for his life. Hell he injured himself sliding in the natty. It ain't pretty.

He's gonna be a 1st rounder... I'll be so intrigued to see where it goes from there. That historic season says that he's got a chance to be special, I just don't know how much that level will change things for him.

I really don't know how to feel about Mac at the next level. Accuracy and intelligence never goes out of style... That is alone is so valuable. But the athleticism piece is also valuable... Mac moves very well in the pocket by sliding/shuffling away from the early pressure, but when he has to run I'm afraid for his life. Hell he injured himself sliding in the natty. It ain't pretty.

He's gonna be a 1st rounder... I'll be so intrigued to see where it goes from there. That historic season says that he's got a chance to be special, I just don't know how much that level will change things for him.

but...dont the qBs that dont run...stay in pocket...survive....
Its nice tohave that scrambling ability (Dak with Cowboys) or running away from pressure ( Tua...to many times)....but Manning, Brady, etc werent/arent scramblers...

I'd like to see him go to a team that will let him watch and learn the pro game for a year or two. The last thing he needs is to be drafted to a team and thrown to the wolves of the NFL defenses. I wish him well, where ever he goes.

but...dont the qBs that dont run...stay in pocket...survive....
Its nice tohave that scrambling ability (Dak with Cowboys) or running away from pressure ( Tua...to many times)....but Manning, Brady, etc werent/arent scramblers...

Yes that's true... All is has to do is process the game as well/fast as Manning and Brady and he'll be fine! 😂

Obviously I'm being facetious, but the point is it's extremely important to have the fast processor, but it helps to have that along with a tinge of athleticism... Or more.

The longevity of pocket passers vs. running QBs...pocket passers need to be able to extend a play by moving slightly in the pocket or being so doggone big that they can still pass during/after a lick (Roth and I include Cam in that group), they need to be able to recognize and react quickly (Manning, Brees), or they have the velocity to affect the game (Favre) or they're the full package (Brady, Rodgers, et al). Running QBs either have to be an elite passer exclusive of their running ability - or develop that skill as they age/slow down to remain relevant. Mahomes' size and arm (assuming no injury that affects his delivery) suggests to me he will be in the league a long time and he'll slowly transition to more of a pocket passer. Dual threat QBs, with some exceptions I know, seem to have only a slightly longer shelf life than a RB. Michael Vick comes to mind as the best exception. His blazing speed and rocket arm allowed him to stagger through his first time in the league, and then his skills were still relevant enough for an encore.

Tough to generalize what makes for a successful NFL QB. Glad my job doesn't depend on it.

RTR,

Tim

Yes that's true... All is has to do is process the game as well/fast as Manning and Brady and he'll be fine! 😂

Obviously I'm being facetious, but the point is it's extremely important to have the fast processor, but it helps to have that along with a tinge of athleticism... Or more.
And thats what he has....accurate and fast processor...
Been many that rarely ran regardless....LBsand DBsare big and hit..

I believe a good supporting cast around him helps more than anything to extend a QB playing career. Nothing better than having a good OL to block for you, good receivers to get open quickly, a good running game and an OC that is good at knowing when and which play to call on any given down and distance.

How many athletic QB's are in the HOF versus pocket passers. Pretty sure Pocket Passers are more likely going to give you longevity and HOF credentials. No idea if the Arm strength is what it needs to be but he should be alright.

Back
Top Bottom