| NEWS College football: Will Jalen Hurts give Oklahoma a Heisman? - Los Angeles Times

S

SEC Sports

Entering the 21st century, uncontrollable laughter would have spread from coast to coast if someone had predicted that the Oklahoma starting quarterback would become college football’s glamour position.

The Sooners were known for hard-nosed, wishbone football before Bob Stoops took over in Norman and hired Mike Leach as his offensive coordinator. Leach was only there for one season before being poached by Texas Tech, but that one year was enough to install “Air Raid” principles at Oklahoma that have only flourished more under Stoops’ replacement, Lincoln Riley.

With Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray the last two seasons, the Sooners have produced consecutive Heisman Trophy winners and No. 1 overall NFL draft picks. Now it’s Jalen Hurts’ turn to drive Riley’s crimson-and-cream Ferrari, and wouldn’t it be something if Hurts — who lost the Alabama starting job to Tua Tagovailoa entering 2018 — is the guy who leads Oklahoma to a historic third straight Heisman winner?

The Sooners would also overtake Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC (if you’re one to count Reggie Bush’s Heisman) as the only school with eight bronze stiff-arming statues.

This is fun to think about, but we’ve got a long way to go. First off, the oddsmakers see this as a two-man race between Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence and Tagovailoa, who was usurped at the last minute by Murray once the Sooners played their way into the College Football Playoff thanks to his simply ridiculous output. There are many who still believe Tagovailoa was the best player in college football last year.

Of course, it’s a purely subjective process trying to determine whether the most productive player is actually the best, and every voter has their own spin on what the award is supposed to honor. It is highly likely that Hurts — by playing in Riley’s system and in a conference, the Big 12, that features little defense (including Oklahoma) — will put up gaudier stats than Lawrence or Tagovailoa.

Hurts also has the personal touch, as the whole country watched him say all the right things all season as Tagovailoa’s backup and then come off the bench in the Southeastern Conference championship game to lead a spirited Crimson Tide comeback that saved Alabama’s season.

If the resumes are close at season’s end, wouldn’t Hurts’ heart win out?

The senior has a ton to prove this year. There are doubts about his accuracy, which is one of the reasons Tagovailoa beat him out at Alabama, and he does not have the speed of Murray.

Compared with Oklahoma predecessors Mayfield and Murray — and Heisman competitors Lawrence and Tagovailoa — Hurts is not going to win any beauty pageants. But he’s now at the school that knows the formula better than any other.

Heard Riley discussing how Hurts moved the ball better last season than Tua did at times. How many times exactly was that Lincoln? I'm thinking the greatest compliment Riley could give Jalen at this point isn't comparing him to Tua, how about comparing him to his competition this season? Is he better than that guy? Then make him your starter. Otherwise, it seems compliments come mighty cheap in Norman OK.

Interesting article.....may be more "the no D conference " rather than the QBs....
A little of that and a little of Riley as well.

If you recall, when the discussions on the Heisman were about Tua and Skylar, there were a lot that pointed out how wide open OU's receivers were during the '18 season. I'd agree. Some of his throws were what would be described as pitch and catch.

IF OU's receivers can get as open this season as they did last year?

I am very interested in seeing how this season plays out for Jalen. I know there are a ton of factors that will go into how well his season turns out, similar to the aforementioned "wide-open receivers".

Jalen did not really progress from freshman to sophomore as a passer, but seemed to make improvements under Enos (as the QB coach).....however that could be taken with a grain of salt, based off of the mop-up duty role that Jalen assumed after losing the starting job to Tua. If Jalen has a good enough season to be mentioned and in the running for the Heisman, then I think it will say volumes about Riley as a QB coach. On the reverse of that, what does it say about CNS system and lack of a QB coach? Granted that last statement is a huge what-if. Open receivers or not, if Jalen makes to New York as a Heisman invitee, he will most likely have earned it.

Heard Riley discussing how Hurts moved the ball better last season than Tua did at times. How many times exactly was that Lincoln? I'm thinking the greatest compliment Riley could give Jalen at this point isn't comparing him to Tua, how about comparing him to his competition this season? Is he better than that guy? Then make him your starter. Otherwise, it seems compliments come mighty cheap in Norman OK.
And wondered....just how much Alabama football did Riley watch?

The LA Times writer missed one key point. Jalen has to win the starting spot first.

I for one hope that Jalen gets the starting spot and Riley can work some magic for him. I'd be thrilled if Jalen won the Heisman next year. The only time I'll root against him as the starting QB next year is if they are playing against Alabama.

Will he win the Heisman...kinda dumb to even talk about it right now.

The LA Times writer missed one key point. Jalen has to win the starting spot first.

I for one hope that Jalen gets the starting spot and Riley can work some magic for him. I'd be thrilled if Jalen won the Heisman next year. The only time I'll root against him as the starting QB next year is if they are playing against Alabama.

Will he win the Heisman...kinda dumb to even talk about it right now.
He will be starter at beginning of season for sure.....whether he starts at end of season is ?

I am glad #2 came to Bama for we really need him. His freshmen game vs Ole Miss showed him to be special and that comeback will forever have in Bama lore (ovah at my house anyway). His play vs UGA was again truly special. He made the right call to move on and I wish him all the best. With said he's no longer wearing the Bama crimson and white so he's not on my list to follow not that it matters. If #2 does light up the passing stats like the past two OU QB's then you have to give the HC even more credit. We'll see.

Is it bad of me admitting that I have more faith in Jalen winning a come from behind game than any other QB at Alabama in the last 15-20 years. That includes Tua. Coker or AJ would be in a tight race for #2.

<< this guy is a big Jalen fan.

1) Was Jalen really good as a freshman
2) Was it Kiffin’s coaching and play calling
3) Was it that the defenses that season weren’t that good 🤷🏾‍♂️

I think Kiffin put Jalen in perfect situations to be good. If Lincoln does the same Jalen will shine.

Back
Top Bottom