| FTBL Coaches answer questions from military personnel

G

About big losses, the BCS, and recruiting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=3421971

Tubbs on how he recruits...(this sounds familiar :roll: )

We don't go out and look for five-star players every day. I could care less what their stars are. We look for guys that want to work, want to be at Auburn, want to play, want to go to class. ... But you look for that consistency. I'll take all the three-star players I can get that have work ethic and great attitude, and you'll beat those other guys every day, if you'll work at it. Those five stars tend not to be five stars. [They're] ranked by somebody if they knew anything about football, they wouldn't be ranking players anyway. They'd be coaching.

weezyfbaby00 said:

We don't go out and look for five-star players every day. I could care less what their stars are. We look for guys that want to work, want to be at Auburn, want to play, want to go to class. ... But you look for that consistency. I'll take all the three-star players I can get that have work ethic and great attitude, and you'll beat those other guys every day, if you'll work at it. Those five stars tend not to be five stars. [They're] ranked by somebody if they knew anything about football, they wouldn't be ranking players anyway. They'd be coaching.

With Tubby's logic, if a horse trainer or breeder knew anything about horses, they would be a jockey?

If an auto mechanic knew anything about cars, he would be a race car driver?

If a food critic knew anything about food, he would be a chef?

You could go on and on with that.

weezyfbaby00 said:

Tubbs and his staff do a very good job at developing players. He has taken many "3 star" guys and made them into All-SEC players. That said, he still goes after the big dogs (like Andre Smith, Julio Jones, Tana Patrick), he just rarely wins the battles. If it makes him feel better to spout off that he'd rather not have them because those types have character issues and won't go to class, then that's cool. Everyone knows the truth. Hidden in that quote, even Tubbs proves he knows it. The best of the best, for various reasons, do not "want to be or play at Auburn." Ask yourself this though, if he could trade his class (last year or this year) with a BAMA or a USC, would he?

If you're going to win championships, you have to play defense first. Then you have to run the football. Auburn's always had a great running back. At present time, we have six NFL running backs, and five of them played for us just in the last nine years at Auburn. We got a pretty good reputation of running the football. If you go back and look at teams that have won the national championship, you have to have a great defense. If you don't have a great defense, it doesn't make any difference to me, just looking back, how many points you scored. You gotta be able to shut somebody down every once in a while to be able to win and win consistently. Along with a good kicking game.

I changed the offense this year before the bowl game to the spread, spread meaning that you're going to play four or five wide receivers, [with] one back in the backfield, from a shotgun position probably about 75 percent of the time. Spread the field and make the defense adjust and make them try to figure out what you're trying to do. Get them in certain situations where you might get a mismatch.

We're doing that to try to score more points. We averaged 18 points a game last year and still won nine football games. We're looking for a way to score a few more points to have an opportunity to beat the Georgias or the Tennessees or the Floridas and get to the championship game. That's what it's all about.

He even manages to contradict himself here. They needed to score more to win games. That is why he changed the offense. Yet teams that win NC's play good defense.

I find it funny the way he describes winning ChampionshipS. He's only won one SEC championship, but he sure knows what he's doing :roll:

enough of Tele-Tubby. i found this more interesting:

Richt: As far as getting into coaching: I tried to play pro ball, got cut by the Denver Broncos within a week's time. And then I tried to be a life insurance agent, and my boss got thrown in jail. So I quit that. I tried to sell memberships in a club, and the boss fired me for not being productive enough.

I started valeting cars. Got in real good shape, thought I could play ball again. Tried out for the Dolphins. Got cut real fast again.

And then I needed a job. I look in the newspaper and found a job as a bartender. Got fired about the second week of being a bartender. The guy who fired me, he told me to stick around at 2 a.m., he had a job for me. I started cleaning the bar after everybody left., from 2 a.m. to 10 a.m. After I got really desperate doing that, after a week or two, I thought, there's gotta be something I can do with my skill set.

I said, I know. I'll be a coach.

That's about how it happened. I became a graduate assistant coach. Like Charlie said, you just work. You work hard at the right things. You hopefully have a passion for it. You try to live right. You try not to screw it up. More guys screw it up than make it.

MDBtrumpet04 said:
I don't know if anyone heard Franklin on Finebaum but he says that if he has to run the football with Auburn to win the game, he will. Is he just saying that to say it?

LOL who knows

Something tells me tubby should have been a dairy farmer cuz he knows alot about cheesy. Well atlest he is at the cow college, he can always start a new career!

Back
Top Bottom