| MBB/WBB Coach K's "farewell tour." UNC with the win last night in his last regular season games led me to a few thoughts.

TerryP

Staff
If I'm Hubert Davis, I'm sending a typed letter to Coach K...

I didn't watch the game. I wanted to because I thought it would be a good game and it's Duke versus UNC. It's more of "I couldn't." The idea of Bilas, Jay Williams, and the fellatio for K it left no choice. The personalities around the game in the way of someone watching the game. 🤔

With the announcement of his retirement I knew there were going to be conversations, threads, and articles about K being the coach that "built Duke." No one had a title coaching there but they do have a history of making the tournament. If you've never looked it's worth the minute or two.

And just curious...

When it came to the Tobacco Road rivalry, were you a Duke or UNC supporter?

With me? It came down to the coaches. K versus Smith was tough. I like(d) both their teams playing style. K versus Doherty? K all day, right?

Last edited:
I didn’t watch either, was out of the house. Listened a little on the radio. Surprised UNC came back and won so convincingly. Your question is an easy one for me, I didn’t want either to win! In any coaching combination.

I watched a good bit of it. I was always on the North Carolina side of the rivalry as a kid. Jerry Stackhouse was my favorite basketball player as a kid. The reverse jam and the flying underneath the goal to get around a defender and slam on the other side of the rim was Hurculean to me as a young kid.

As far as the farewell tour, I was initally rolling my eyes at the thought of it all during the preseason. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I also only caught parts of them theough the year. Fhe game last night was ok in my eyes. I have zero issues with an instance like this where a guy gives his life to a school and has his players come back for his last game. My thoughts on Coach K are more towards "I don't care for him" but that's because there are a lot of unanswered questions about who he really is. People look good on TV and in interviews, but are they really good people outside of the fame. I truly wonder how much he cheated at Duke. I truly wonder after reading some things if he was a good guy to those around him. One thing I will say and agree with Jay Billas over is that there will never be another coach stay at a school for over 40 years anymore. I find that almost impossible to see again. For that, I watched the game and the after game stuff.

I watched a good bit of it. I was always on the North Carolina side of the rivalry as a kid.
So, you rooted for a good basketball program as a kid but then there's football where you had no discernment? 🙃

Two great basketball programs where one, UNC, has had more success than Duke. Doherty to UNC is DuBose to Alabama football: both won a conference title which lack-luster (if we can call it that) coaching.

It's a tougher question that most realize, UNC or Duke. Two coaches at UNC combined to win five titles, Coach K won five. Is that an indicator the program in Chapel Hill has a better foundation? UNC has more Final Fours under three coaches versus Duke under K. A lot of ways to look at this ...

I was a Jordan fan when he played, so there was that. Then I worked for a few years with a guy who was a UNC grad, so his disgust for Duke rubbed off a little. It seemed that Duke always had a punk on the team who could fan the embers of that rivalry to new heights.

So, you rooted for a good basketball program as a kid but then there's football where you had no discernment? 🙃

Two great basketball programs where one, UNC, has had more success than Duke. Doherty to UNC is DuBose to Alabama football: both won a conference title which lack-luster (if we can call it that) coaching.

It's a tougher question that most realize, UNC or Duke. Two coaches at UNC combined to win five titles, Coach K won five. Is that an indicator the program in Chapel Hill has a better foundation? UNC has more Final Fours under three coaches versus Duke under K. A lot of ways to look at this ...

I loved their uniforms, and Stackhouse grabbed my interest. My family were all die hard Georgia fans, but I was a kid that loved logos, mascots, and the pagentry of any program. Hell, I had a Miami Starter jacket, North Carolina authentic basketball shorts (that were way too big), a Notre Dame hat, a Dennis Riddle Nike jersey when Nike first started doing team sports, a Warrick Dunn Florida State jersey, I had it all. And that was all when I was 5-10 years old. In 5th grade I wrote a book about college sports programs that was published by a local company and put in the elementary school library.

So while I enjoyed it all as a kid, I just enjoyed college athletics. That'swhy it bothers me so much that everything has changed the way it has.

Nailed it :). I guess the puppies programmed the little lads harder in football over there in the peach state.

I know you ain't talking about being programmed with the mindset that gets you to thinking we win because of our jerseys and helmets, and that somehow the 70's inspires today's team. You a real big crystals and wizards guy too?

I know you ain't talking about being programmed with the mindset that gets you to thinking we win because of our jerseys and helmets, and that somehow the 70's inspires today's team. You a real big crystals and wizards guy too?
This is what I truly believe but apparently have not done a good job communicating:
"It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference"
"The same things win that always won. We just have a different set of excuses if we lose."

If I'm Hubert Green, I'm sending a typed letter to Coach K...

I didn't watch the game. I wanted to because I thought it would be a good game and it's Duke versus UNC. It's more of "I couldn't." The idea of Bilas, Jay Williams, and the fellatio for K it left no choice. The personalities around the game in the way of someone watching the game. 🤔

With the announcement of his retirement I knew there were going to be conversations, threads, and articles about K being the coach that "built Duke." No one had a title coaching there but they do have a history of making the tournament. If you've never looked it's worth the minute or two.

And just curious...

When it came to the Tobacco Road rivalry, were you a Duke or UNC supporter?

With me? It came down to the coaches. K versus Smith was tough. I like(d) both their teams playing style. K versus Doherty? K all day, right?

Who the hell is Hubert Green though? lol

All of this “Duke is mad that UNC didn’t honor K last month” is bullshit!! The man even said he didn’t want people making a huge deal of it, so UNC took his word to heart. They only got their panties in a twist when UNC spanked that ass in K’s home finale.

In the late 80’s and early 90’s, I pulled for Duke and Coach K, I guess because I liked the hard nosed approach to their game. I liked Dean Smith and UNC as well because of MJ. I watched that game as just a fan of the game and not one team.

In the late 80’s and early 90’s, I pulled for Duke and Coach K, I guess because I liked the hard nosed approach to their game.
That reminds me of how I felt about UK as a kid. I didn't root for them but even in my pre-teen years I respected players like Macy and coaching we saw from Joe B. Hall.

Geez, how old was I? 4th, maybe 5th grade when Macy won the title with UK? 1978, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom