| MBB/WBB Chuck Person indicted by federal grand jury, fired by Auburn

18Champs

AUBURN — Chuck Person has been indicted by a federal grand jury and fired by Auburn.

After the former Auburn assistant coach and player along with co-defendant Rashan Michel were indicted on six charges by a federal grand jury in New York on Tuesday, Auburn officials confirmed to the Montgomery Advertiser that Person’s employment had been officially terminated.

"He is no longer an employee. As such this is in the hands of the criminal justice system," Auburn University's statement Tuesday night to the Montgomery Advertiser read.

The Montgomery Advertiser acquired the 27-page indictment Tuesday evening. According to the indictment, Person and Michel are required to release "any and all property, real and personal, that constitutes or is derived from proceeds traceable to the commission of said offenses, including but not limited to a sum of money in United States currency representing the amount of proceeds traceable to the commission of said offenses."

The school’s all-time leading scorer was placed on suspension without pay following his Sept. 26 arrest on charges of bribery conspiracy, solicitation of bribes and gratuities, conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and travel act conspiracy.

"Chuck Person in describing his influence over one of his players put it this way, 'He listens to one person, that is me,'" said Joon H. Kim, acting United States attorney for the Southern District of New York. "Chuck Person also said that his players trusted and looked up to him because he coached Kobe Bryant and worked for Phil Jackson."

Auburn President Steven Leath confirmed Sept. 26 that he met with FBI agents on the morning that Person and several others were arrested in connection to the alleged corruption scheme involving college basketball. However, Leath told ESPN and made a public statement that day that the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York assured him the university and the school’s athletic department were not the target of their investigation.

According to federal documents detailing the FBI investigation into corruption involving pay-for-play schemes of several coaches, Person allegedly received $91,500 in bribery payments to steer two unnamed Auburn players to a certain agents and financial advisers. Person and Michel, a former NBA and NCAA official and current custom clothing distributor, agreed to accept approximately $50,000 in bribe payments from an undercover federal agent.

Person was released on $100,000 bond last month after making an appearance in U.S. District Court in New York. If found guilty of the charges, Person faces a maximum sentence of 80 years in federal prison.

Auburn has promoted former director of basketball operations Chad Prewett, who has been on Bruce Pearl’s staff since June 2014, to an on-the-floor assistant coach to replace Person.

The indefinite suspension of Wiley and Purifoy came hours before Auburn's only exhibition game last week, a 100-95 loss to Division II Barry University.

“We're still not in a position where we can determine their eligibility yet so therefore, out of caution, they weren't eligible to play,” Pearl said following the exhibition loss on Thursday. “It's indefinite. It could be short or it could be longer. We don't know.”

Part of the $91.500 received by Person allegedly includes Person saying on camera to uncover agents bribes that he paid bribes of $11,000 and $7,500 to family members of two Tigers in order to steer them toward financial advisers. Person also allowed for meetings to take place between the mothers of the players and the people Person was working with in the alleged scheme.

Person was about to begin fourth season at Auburn and has been a mainstay in the major rebuilding project under Pearl. The Brantley native was promoted to associate head coach in May 2015 after spending his first season as an assistant coach.

Person, who played alongside fellow Auburn and NBA greats Charles Barkley and Chris Morris, is the all-time scoring leader in Auburn history with 2,311 points in 126 games — without the 3-point shot. His 18.3-point career average is sixth in school history. He is also the school record holder for field goals made (1,017), field goals attempted (1,899) and is third in total rebounds (940).

While in the NBA, Person played for and was on the coaching staffs of some of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball including Jackson, Gregg Popovich, Jack Ramsay and Rick Carlisle.

Chuck Person indicted by federal grand jury, fired by Auburn

Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person charged with six felonies in 'pay-for-play' scheme

AUBURN — Auburn men’s basketball assistant coach Chuck Person has been arrested and charged with six federal crimes including bribery conspiracy, solicitation of bribes and gratuities, conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and travel act conspiracy.

According to federal documents detailing the FBI investigation into corruption involving pay-for-play schemes of several college basketball coaches, Person allegedly received $91,500 in bribery payments in a scheme to steer two unnamed Auburn players to a certain agents and financial advisers. Person and Rashan Michel, a former NBA and NCAA official and current custom clothing distributor, who is also named as a defendant in the charges, agreed to accept approximately $50,000 in bribe payments from an undercover federal agent.

"Chuck Person in describing his influence over one of his players put it this way, 'He listens to one person, that is me,'" said Joon H. Kim, acting United States attorney for the Southern District of New York. "Chuck Person also said that his players trusted and looked up to him because he coached Kobe Bryant and worked for Phil Jackson."
NCAA President Mark Emmert released a statement on the matter of assistant coaches being charged by the FBI in an alleged corruption scheme in college basketball.

"The nature of the charges brought by the federal government are deeply disturbing. We have no tolerance whatsoever for this alleged behavior," Emmert's statement read. "Coaches hold a unique position of trust with student-athletes and their families and these bribery allegations, if true, suggest an extraordinary and despicable breach of that trust. We learned of these charges this morning and or course will support the ongoing criminal federal investigation."

The identities of the unnamed Auburn players are not revealed. Based off testimony from an federal informant in the complaint, Person said Auburn is about to have on its roster the “ninth ranked kid in the country” and that “nobody knows” the player would be enrolling in January 2017. This player being described is clearly Auburn sophomore center Austin Wiley but it is certainly not clear whether Wiley or his family are involved as either of the unnamed Auburn players or families detailed in the complaint. According to the complaint, Wiley's description is used by Person to convince the person who would become an FBI informant (CW-1) that he would be able to attract and sign top talent to Auburn.

The Department of Justice held a media conference at 11 a.m. to discuss the charges. Auburn athletics officials have yet to comment on the matter. Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl declined to discuss the matter when reached Tuesday evening.

Person, who is one of four assistant coaches in major college programs charged with violation of federal crimes, has been on Pearl's staff at Auburn since 2014.

"All of those charged today contributed to a pay-for-play culture that has no business in college basketball," said William F. Sweeney, Assistant Director of the FBI's New York office. "Today's arrests should serve as a warning to others choosing to conduct this business this way in the world of college athletics. We have your playbook. Our investigation is ongoing."

Person is in his fourth season at Auburn and has been a mainstay in the major rebuilding project under Pearl. The Brantley, Alabama, native was promoted to associate head coach in May 2015 after spending his first season as an assistant coach.

His 14-year NBA coaching and executive career along with his second season coaching at Auburn has seen him play and be on the staffs of some of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball including Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, Jack Ramsay and Rick Carlisle.

Auburn University released a statement on the arrest Tuesday afternoon shortly after the DOJ completed its media conference stating Person has been immediately suspended without pay.

“This morning’s news is shocking. We are saddened, angry and disappointed. We have suspended Coach Person without pay effective immediately," the university statement read. "We are committed to playing by the rules, and that’s what we expect from our coaches. In the meantime, Auburn is working closely with law enforcement, and we will help them in their investigation in any way we can.”

Person, who played alongside fellow Auburn and NBA greats Charles Barkley and Chris Morris, is the all-time scoring leader in Auburn history with 2,311 points in 126 games without the 3-point shot averaging 18.3 ppg, sixth all-time in school history. He is also the school record holder for field goals made (1,017), field goals attempted (1,899) and is third in total rebounds (940).

Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person charged with six felonies in 'pay-for-play' scheme

I got an email last night from a friend who'd been surfing around on the Bunker last night and ran across this post from Jay G. Tate.
---------------
Jay G. Tate
IT'S A TRAP!
Staff

I'm going to offer a bit more clarity on what's going on with basketball, but it's important that I note here at the top that this update WILL NOT answer all your questions. So don't @ me if you're dissatisfied with the depth of the information. You have been warned.

OK, so I mentioned Friday that there was a deadline Friday and that people inside and near the program were leery about the whole thing. Then Friday came and went. We've heard nothing.

The deadline, as best I can gather, is not related to the NCAA or even the FBI. The deadline was created by elements within the university, which want to sit down with some associated parties.

What's unusual here is that it was made clear to Pearl that he had until Friday to meet with the university folks and answer any questions they wanted to ask him. The situation typically doesn't become this adversarial. Everyone else in the coaching/operations sphere is (morally) compelled to follow the head coach's lead. So putting a deadline on Pearl is tantamount to putting a deadline on everyone.

As I understand it, the deadline expired without a meeting.

Why did the meeting fail to materialize? I don't have an official, vetted answer on that. My educated guess is that Pearl acted on the advice of counsel, which noted that Auburn's compliance department probably cannot legally compel Pearl to answer. The FBI is a different matter, but even then his cooperation there could be limited based on the fact that he hasn’t been charged with a crime. And it's plausible that information gleaned in the university interviews could affect things on the FBI front.

Auburn probably could choose to fire Pearl for insubordination, but that creates a whole separate issue that may be worse*.

So we have what appears to be a stand-off of sorts between Pearl (ie Pearl's legal representation) and the university, which is an extension of Auburn itself. It occurs to me that compliance czar Rich McGlynn and university president Steven Leath are not ones to back down.

With all that in mind, I view Pearl's situation at Auburn as a day-to-day thing. I can see him being fired for cause for not speaking with the compliance folks. I can see him reluctantly agreeing to answer certain questions and moving forward without additional trouble. And I guess the inquest could back down entirely.

I don't have a side here. I like Pearl and I like McGlynn. They're both very good at what they do.

* If Pearl is fired, who coaches this team? Chuck Person was the only other staffer with those kinds of qualifications. He's obviously not an option. The best thing for the program at this point, without a doubt, is for Pearl and his staff to remain in place doing their thing. Abruptly removing them from the equation will create a seismic event that could wreck the program for a long time to come.

Back
Top Bottom