| FTBL Chris Herren, Jr

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Huh!?

"Portsmouth resident Chris Herren Jr. has been striding down a life-long basketball path that began at Portsmouth High School, then led to Tabor Academy, then to Boston College and finally to the University of San Diego.

But now Herren Jr. has chosen a path not taken. His name currently appears on the University of Alabama football roster.

Herren Jr. was unavailable to talk on Monday but responded via text late that night that, “We’re in camp right now so we don’t have much time off. I honestly don’t get back to my dorm until around (11:15 p.m.) every day.”

Herren Jr., who has never played football in his life, is listed as a senior wide receiver on the roster. He made his sport-change idea public during a March 5 Unqualified Sports Talk podcast.

“I actually have never played football,” Herren Jr. told the podcast hosts. “When I first started thinking about it, it kind of felt like a crazy idea and it is a crazy idea.
“But I was just kind of like, I’ve got these last two years (of eligibility) left to play a sport and like, this is what I really want to do. So why would I just give it up because just I think it’s too crazy an idea. I plan on playing wide receiver.”

How Herren Jr. got a walk-on spot on defending national champion Alabama’s roster is a question to be asked. Herren Jr. is one of 18 wide receivers listed, most others who no doubt have impressive football credentials on their resumes. Maybe Alabama coach Nick Saban or a member of his staff saw something they liked in Herren Jr."

Portsmouth's Chris Herren Jr. drops basketball, joins University of Alabama football team​

Last edited:
His dad has one of the craziest stories in recent sports histories... I knew his son had bounced around the hoops scene, but this is pretty shocking! Hopefully he can help the team and gain some life experience. RTR

Back
Top Bottom