| FTBL “Cause & effect tell us that when one thing changes something else must change with it. In the case of expanded playoffs, the change will come with...

Let's say we're going into the weekend of the Alabama v Auburn game and both teams are 11-0. Both have a guaranteed spot in the SECCG. Both have a guaranteed spot in the playoffs.

What's the point of the game?

Let's add another...say UF is 11-0 and they haven't played Bama or Auburn. It'll get down to a coin flip scenario at some point. That's not being settled on the field.
At that point you’re playing for a bye or home field advantage in the playoffs.

Here's where you are confusing me. It's a football game. Is it the sport, or a brand name you are following?

The changes are creating meaningless games. No, let me change that. The changes HAVE created meaningless games...in the regular season.
It is sport (with a personal brand name...for me) . I watch other than bama...
But i dont get excited. Unless its bama...

Here's where you are confusing me. It's a football game. Is it the sport, or a brand name you are following?

The changes are creating meaningless games. No, let me change that. The changes HAVE created meaningless games...in the regular season.
Wait. You saying bowls are meaningful....and regular season games arent...
Dont get that

Maybe "meaningless " and " meaningful". Mean different things to me n you

Wait. You saying bowls are meaningful....and regular season games arent...
Dont get that
Uh, the entire situation has changed.

All I've said is the idea that a bowl game is meaningless is taking away something from the kids. The majority don't look at it that way; only fans.
Now, with the expansion, regular season games have lost meaning. Pure logic.

Uh, the entire situation has changed.

All I've said is the idea that a bowl game is meaningless is taking away something from the kids. The majority don't look at it that way; only fans.
Now, with the expansion, regular season games have lost meaning. Pure logic.
I you think SEC games
Uga-fla
Al-Au
Ole ms-lsu
Ky-Tennessee
Etc etc etc

Are meaningless.

Nothing should have meaning in football history

I you think SEC games
Uga-fla
Al-Au
Ole ms-lsu
Ky-Tennessee
Etc etc etc

Are meaningless.

Nothing should have meaning in football history
And again, I'll ask. If they played three times in one year what does the game one loss mean? Not a damn thing.

This is so simple to me. UF beats UGA and then has to play them again for the SECCG? Then again in the playoffs? Now we have two games that didn't mean a damn thing.

And again, I'll ask. If they played three times in one year what does the game one loss mean? Not a damn thing.

This is so simple to me. UF beats UGA and then has to play them again for the SECCG? Then again in the playoffs? Now we have two games that didn't mean a damn thing.
Maybe wouldn't mean anything from a CFP standpoint but it would certainly mean something to the fanbases of the winning and losing teams.

Take the Bama/LSU games in 2011. The loss meant something to us in the regular season and we got revenge. The LSU fanbase wish they did not have to play bama in the championship.

I get your point in one context but fanbases care about winning and losing especailly to rivals.

Last edited:
I'm all for that. SEC schedule, and then load up on teams you'll beat the hell out of for practice.

There's no reason to care about what name is on the OOC schedule any longer.
I disagree. A Bama team with their list of home/aways with Power 5's - two a year - will move the needle for us if we're on the bubble. Strength of schedule will continue to matter, it just won't be the top four. It will be for seeding and bubble teams. SOS matters in a field of 68. Why would anyone think it won't matter at all in a field of twelve?

I disagree. A Bama team with their list of home/aways with Power 5's - two a year - will move the needle for us if we're on the bubble. Strength of schedule will continue to matter, it just won't be the top four. It will be for seeding and bubble teams. SOS matters in a field of 68. Why would anyone think it won't matter at all in a field of twelve?
Just like in other sports. Like in 4 team cfp... And there is a still committee concept...
Dang right it matters.

Four easy wins and you won't find teams on the bubble: we've seen that happen repeatedly.

Four easy wins and you won't find teams on the bubble: we've seen that happen repeatedly.
Of course you will. You'll just have more of them. Looking at the number of one-loss teams after conference championships is a pretty small group, clearly SOS has been a consideration. How can SOS not be a factor when you're selecting/seeding twelve? Look at the decisions from last year. Admittedly, there was probably little discussion of who was ranked 11-14, but there are some on the bubble there.

College Football Playoff Rankings

RKTEAMRECTREND
1MichiganMichigan13-01
2WashingtonWashington13-01
3TexasTexas12-14
4AlabamaAlabama12-14
5Florida StateFlorida State13-01
6GeorgiaGeorgia12-15
7Ohio StateOhio State11-11
8OregonOregon11-23
9MissouriMissouri10-2-
10Penn StatePenn State10-2-
11Ole MissOle Miss10-2-
12OklahomaOklahoma10-2-
13LSULSU9-3-
14ArizonaArizona9-31
15LouisvilleLouisville10-31
16Notre DameNotre Dame9-31
17Iowa10-31
18NC State9-31
19Oregon State8-41
20Oklahoma State9-42
21Tennessee8-4-
22Clemson8-41
23Liberty13-01
24SMU11-2NR
25Kansas State8-4-

Of course you will. You'll just have more of them. Looking at the number of one-loss teams after conference championships is a pretty small group, clearly SOS has been a consideration. How can SOS not be a factor when you're selecting/seeding twelve? Look at the decisions from last year. Admittedly, there was probably little discussion of who was ranked 11-14, but there are some on the bubble there.
That Bama record wouldn't have a loss on it either.

College Football Playoff Rankings

RKTEAMRECTREND
1MichiganMichigan13-01
2WashingtonWashington13-01
3TexasTexas12-14
4AlabamaAlabama12-14
5Florida StateFlorida State13-01
6GeorgiaGeorgia12-15
7Ohio StateOhio State11-11
8OregonOregon11-23
9MissouriMissouri10-2-
10Penn StatePenn State10-2-
11Ole MissOle Miss10-2-
12OklahomaOklahoma10-2-
13LSULSU9-3-
14ArizonaArizona9-31
15LouisvilleLouisville10-31
16Notre DameNotre Dame9-31
17Iowa10-31
18NC State9-31
19Oregon State8-41
20Oklahoma State9-42
21Tennessee8-4-
22Clemson8-41
23Liberty13-01
24SMU11-2NR
25Kansas State8-4-
That would be some good football. 12 team cfp
Ou@ fsu
Ms @ uga
Psu@ osu
Missouri @oregon

Now those would be worth watching. With winners playing top 4..

The question is will people tune in to watch two second and third strings go at it? The television numbers will have to support this or it'll be a disaster. All of this was done for for television money.
Which translates into reduced game attendance. Only so many people have so much disposable money and paid leave time to attend college sporting events. Hell Bama fans are about bankrupt already after a decade and a half of unprecedented success and so many "big" games with no down year.

Which translates into reduced game attendance. Only so many people have so much disposable money and paid leave time to attend college sporting events. Hell Bama fans are about bankrupt already after a decade and a half of unprecedented success and so many "big" games with no down year.
How many people are going to be interested in watching the Alabama v Auburn game in November when they know they'll be meeting again in December?

@musso
I know I'm looking at this simplicity. But this is like a lot of things in life when you stop and ask, "wait a minute." I'll be the first to admit I'm easily confused on things. I just don't see the logic.

Let's change scenario's. Michigan and Ohio State are playing in Nov. and they're going to meet again in Dec. What does that game mean?

People yell about the NIL...breaking into no divisions may be the biggest mistake.

Back
Top Bottom