| FTBL Can Terry Grant take the punishment ?

BigAl

Verified Member
these SEC defenses dish out week to week or do you think he could see limited playing time due to his size? I know hes fast and shifty but can he take that kinda punishment over the long haul?

BigAl said:
these SEC defenses dish out week to week or do you think he could see limited playing time due to his size? I know hes fast and shifty but can he take that kinda punishment over the long haul?

Look up Lionel James. One of my favorite non-Bama tailbacks that had a decent career in the NFL as well.

So, my answer is yes.

bamafan4ever said:
BigAl said:

Look up Lionel James. One of my favorite non-Bama tailbacks that had a decent career in the NFL as well.

So, my answer is yes.

Now everyone knows why I call you barnerfan4ever. :roll:

:D

Seriously though, Lionel James was one of my favorite non-Bama guys also. The Little Train Lionel James.

Bama has had many not-so big backs in the past. just look at Sherman Williams & Shaud Williams. both 300+ carry, 1000+ yards backs. with that said i dont think we'll see many 30 carry days from Grant simply because its not necessary with such a deep backfield. i see Grant getting alot of outside the tackle runs (sweeps and what not) while Jimmy Johns will be the pound it up the middle back.

If Bama plays him early(before the defense adjusts to his speed)and late(when the defense has their tongues hanging out), he will not be hit enough to get hurt.

Vandy will be a real test for our O-line and Terry Grant. However, even though they are returning a lot of starters, they are still a lower-teir/mid-pack SEC defense. They will be a much better defense than Western Carolina, but all of our questions will not be answered this weekend I imagine.

Even though he's not very tall, they show him weighing about 188. Shifty speed burners who are adept at avoiding direct contact can play at that weight with no problem. If he works on keeping a lower stance he would make me less nervous. Younger backs have a tendency to run too straight up and open themselves up to shoulder injuries. Darby got a separated shoulder from getting tattooed up high. I don't know how Grant hurt his last year.

RTR,

Tim

bamafan4ever said:
BigAl said:

So, my answer is yes.

One of my best friends and my boss was the fullback at Carrolton(lead blocker for 3 year for Lionel)...small word eh. Grant will be fine...he has the Alexander way to avoid a hit.....kinda falls away form the blow /shrug

Regardless of size, there are three key elements that help off-set teh effects of "the beating".

One is being in shape with some bulk regarless of your frame. I don't think he is in too bad of shape there.

The second is luck. Take Bo Jackson for instance. We saw him bulldozing Brian Bozworth one time but having his career ended in a weak tackle by a defensive back later on.

The third is exposure to the punishment. With Saban wanting to rotate two backs, this should help his odds of not getting "that" hit.

if terry needs a breather then theyll put jimmy in. Kick some tail. Jimmy's almost twice terry's size. He should have no prob going right down the middle

Back
Top Bottom