| CURRENT EVENTS "Burying the lede." The Don Lemon (CNN) interview on reparations for Colonialism with royal commentator Hilary Fordwich

TerryP

Staff
In case you missed it, following the funeral of the Queen, Lemon suggested the United Kingdom should pay reparations for colonialism. I'm sure you've heard that suggestion over the last few weeks from a few. What I haven't heard, and the reason for this thread, was what the response from Fordwich pointed out. (video at the bottom.) Here are her comments:

"Where was the beginning of the [slave] supply chain? That was in Africa," said Fordwich. "Which was the first nation in the world that abolished slavery? … The British."
"Two thousand naval men died on the high seas trying to stop slavery," the commentator added. "If reparations need to be paid, we need to go right back to the beginning of that supply chain and say, ‘Who was rounding up their own people and having them handcuffed in cages?'"
When I say "burying the lede" I'm not talking about the rules in Africa "rounding up their own people." It's what she said right before that.

"Two thousand naval men died on the high seas trying to stop slavery."

I didn't know that. That's a story I'd like to learn more about. I haven't done any research to see if there are books available on their exploits. I'd sure love to find one written by someone on Stephen Ambrose's level (list of his books including Band of Brothers.)

Back
Top Bottom