| FTBL Bryant, Coaches, and Saban

G

Two Parts.

Part one: Coach Bryant shaped many coaches during his years. Perhaps more than any other in history. What do you suppose Bryant would think/say about Coach Saban?

Part two: Name a coach that either coached or played under coach Bryant.

1. I think Coach Bryant and Saban are pretty even on fundamentals, except Coach Bryant would at times become more attached to one player. Such a player as Joe Namath was one of his favorites. Coach Saban hasn't shown that yet, but that can come with time. Saban also has the same attitude about knocking a program or a player's mental, and moral state down and rebuilding them from the ground up. As far as hiring asst. coaches is concerned,since both coaches want the best for their players, the head coach was and still is always right.

2. Coach Pat Dye(I could go on, but i'm gonna keep it fair.)

BamaFan19 said:
1. I think Coach Bryant and Saban are pretty even on fundamentals, except Coach Bryant would at times become more attached to one player. Such a player as Joe Namath was one of his favorites. Coach Saban hasn't shown that yet, but that can come with time. Saban also has the same attitude about knocking a program or a player's mental, and moral state down and rebuilding them from the ground up. As far as hiring asst. coaches is concerned,since both coaches want the best for their players, the head coach was and still is always right.

Pretty amazing post coming from someone born after Bryant's passing (At least until you cited Pat Dye as if he is the first to come to mind).

I think that Coach Saban has much of his philosophy down to a science more. Example, where Coach Bryant would vaguely say "Show class", Coach Saban clarifies by saying "Don't do anything that would hurt the team. What you do to one, you do to the other."

Both have a reputation for outworking the coach across the field. Both are physically domination minded, although I don't think we will see footage of Coach Saban demonstrating blocking like we see Coach Bryant doing.

Saban is disadvantage with respect to dealing with the press. Coach Bryant is given a pass on his love to drink, while Coach Saban is butchered for saying that the ULM loss is a decisive turning point for the team and selecting an example that communicates what he means in a clear form that some think is disrespectful (i.e Pearl Harbor)...as if citing extreme cases as examples is not used a thousand times a day in classrooms across America :roll: .

LBS for one sees a great deal of similarity between the two. But I want to get the opinions of some you you guys.

PART TWO: Howard Schnellenburger (sp?)

LBS said:
What do you suppose Bryant would think/say about Coach Saban?

I: He ain't nuthin' but a winner.

II: Bum Phillips

Bum Philips once said Bryant could "take his and beat yours or he could take yours and beat his". Last year, CNS fell just short of doing that against LSU. Bryant never had the opportunity to prove Philips right or wrong.

CNS has shown an incredible ability to turn programs around in a very short period of time. Bryant was known for the same thing. Overall, I think Bryant would be pleased at what CNS has done for "Momma" in a short period of time.

I have often wondered how Bryant would have dealt with the press. The press is far more scrutinizing on all levels. They are more informed and more knowledgeable about the game.

I think this is evident in with our political process as well. How would Kennedy have reacted to the current media pressures could be a similar comparison.

It could be stated that Saban has more ability than Bryant. There is obviously parody with great athletes and game schemes present now. Dominating a team is very difficult by todays standards especially in the SEC. All players are bigger, stronger and faster. Every knows back in the day, big time programs like Bama would have third string players better than most of their competition first string.

To me it comparing apples and oranges. But to answer the question, Bryant would have been astonished at Saban and all current coach knowledge.

The coaches that are left that Bryant has influenced is huge. Most of them don't seem resemble Byrants coaching style that I can see.

My favorite prodigies were probably Gene Stallings, Danny Ford, and Jack Sherrill

Bryant could be just as crusty with the press as Saban, you just didn't see that side often.

1. Their coaching philosophies are actually very similar. "If you believe in yourself and have pride and dedication and never quit" is different words but the same sing Saban sings when he talks about finishing. Both believe that there are a few plays that will decide who wins any football game, and you never know which ones they are so you have to be ready every play.

2. Sylvester Croom

LBS said:
Two Parts.

Part one: Coach Bryant shaped many coaches during his years. Perhaps more than any other in history. What do you suppose Bryant would think/say about Coach Saban?

1. Coach Bryant would probably say, I really like the way this guy handles the media

2. And I guess here I will go with a player and current coach...Sylvester Croom, nevermind just saw that above, okay how about Barry Kraus

LBS said:
BamaFan19 said:

Pretty amazing post coming from someone born after Bryant's passing (At least until you cited Pat Dye as if he is the first to come to mind).

I think that Coach Saban has much of his philosophy down to a science more. Example, where Coach Bryant would vaguely say "Show class", Coach Saban clarifies by saying "Don't do anything that would hurt the team. What you do to one, you do to the other."

Both have a reputation for outworking the coach across the field. Both are physically domination minded, although I don't think we will see footage of Coach Saban demonstrating blocking like we see Coach Bryant doing.

Saban is disadvantage with respect to dealing with the press. Coach Bryant is given a pass on his love to drink, while Coach Saban is butchered for saying that the ULM loss is a decisive turning point for the team and selecting an example that communicates what he means in a clear form that some think is disrespectful (i.e Pearl Harbor)...as if citing extreme cases as examples is not used a thousand times a day in classrooms across America :roll: .

LBS for one sees a great deal of similarity between the two. But I want to get the opinions of some you you guys.

PART TWO: Howard Schnellenburger (sp?)

I have read a few Coach Bryant books in my time. :lol: The Pat Dye thing is a juvenile choice, I know.

I agree with almost everything thats been said here. I knew it was just a matter of time before someone started a thread like this. Coach Bryant and Saban both have/had a hard time with the media. Both are stern disciplinarians, both are defensive minded coachs and both are great recruiters. I'm not sure what drives Coach Saban just yet other than the fact he wants to win and hates to lose. I think one thing that drove Coach Bryant so hard was his fear of having to go back to Arkansas and having to farm again. Both men have a unique ability to put a team together and have them work for a common goal and have them beat as one. Coach Bryant cared for his players and coachs not only on the field but off the field as well. I think Saban will to but he hasnt had time to show that yet.

I forgot to add Jerry Claborne.

TerryP said:
"They take football seriously down there."

Since it's UT week...got to mention Ken Donahue.

Nice. I'll add Jim Goostree.

I'd like for Coach Bryant to say what he said about his own teams:
My approach to the game has been the same at all the places I've been. Vanilla. The sure way. That means, first of all, to win physically. If you got eleven on a field, and they beat the other eleven physically, they'll win. They will start forcing mistakes. They'll win in the fourth quarter.

Back
Top Bottom