Brisket?

Hmmm. Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Only, when I think of brisket I think of Texas style (beef) BBQ. Maybe that makes it more of a good idea. The beef would have to be Longhorn and the sauce would have to have a crimson tint...

I did see an episode of "BBQ Pit Masters" the other day that was being filmed in Decatur. It seems that on all episodes, the brisket is the cut that most people have a problem getting "perfect". Like all other cuts, I suppose slow and low is the key. However, I have to admit that I've never had a brisket come out near as good as any of my pork BBQ.

I currently use either a metal, drum shaped BBQ with offset fire box or my trusty old Big Green Egg. If you (or anyone else) have any good tips on making a great brisket I'd love to see them posted.

[FONT=&quot]I'll definitely be doing a brisket for gameday. If you are interested, here is my recipe for the dry rub I use, as well as instructions on barbecuing the brisket.

Dry Rub:

2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup of seasoned salt
2 tbl sp. sea salt
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
3 tblsp. chili powder
2 tblsp. celery salt
2 tblsp. cayenne pepper powder
2 tblsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. allspice

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Blend all the ingredients together. Typically have to use hands on it as the brown sugar cubes up. This will make 2.5 cups of rub. Store in a sealed container.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]As for the Brisket. It's pretty simple to cook, just takes a ton of patience and you CANNOT cheat. There's a fine line between this cut of meat being the best BBQ you'll ever make or tougher than shoe leather. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The key is to hit 190 degrees, internally. Invest in a good meat thermometer if you haven't already. I smoke my briskets at 225 -240 (so really anywhere between 210 and 260 is optimal). I use oak wood for optimal taste but have had great results with hickory and pecan as well. Texans use mesquite but the true pit pros say it "bitters" the meat, although I have used mesquite many times and it is very good. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As for prep. I trim some of the excess fat off the top of the cut. I do an American Mustard slather (very thin coat) and then I rub the meat with my rub. Usually let it sit, wrapped in foil, overnight. A huge key is to LET IT SIT at room temperature for about a half hour to hour before putting in the smoker. PLACE IN SMOKER WITH THE FAT CAP UP – this will season the meat and keep it from drying out. I mop it with a apple cider vinegar/beer/Worcestershire/onion/olive oil mop about ever two hours, very quickly so as not to lose heat. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I won't even venture to tell you how long it takes. I'd say about eight hours into your smoke, drop the probe into the thickest part of the cut and start monitoring the temp. It'll hit a plateau usually around 160-168 that'll drive you nuts because it may not move for 2-3 hours, but then it'll "pop" the plateau and you'll get that final twenty-five degrees in a short time. That's when all the tough connective tissue breaks down. Slice it long-ways, on the bias. Hopefully, it'll be good enough to serve without sauce.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'll definitely be doing a brisket for gameday. If you are interested, here is my recipe for the dry rub I use, as well as instructions on barbecuing the brisket.

Dry Rub:

2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup of seasoned salt
2 tbl sp. sea salt
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
3 tblsp. chili powder
2 tblsp. celery salt
2 tblsp. cayenne pepper powder
2 tblsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. allspice

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Blend all the ingredients together. Typically have to use hands on it as the brown sugar cubes up. This will make 2.5 cups of rub. Store in a sealed container.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]As for the Brisket. It's pretty simple to cook, just takes a ton of patience and you CANNOT cheat. There's a fine line between this cut of meat being the best BBQ you'll ever make or tougher than shoe leather. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The key is to hit 190 degrees, internally. Invest in a good meat thermometer if you haven't already. I smoke my briskets at 225 -240 (so really anywhere between 210 and 260 is optimal). I use oak wood for optimal taste but have had great results with hickory and pecan as well. Texans use mesquite but the true pit pros say it "bitters" the meat, although I have used mesquite many times and it is very good. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As for prep. I trim some of the excess fat off the top of the cut. I do an American Mustard slather (very thin coat) and then I rub the meat with my rub. Usually let it sit, wrapped in foil, overnight. A huge key is to LET IT SIT at room temperature for about a half hour to hour before putting in the smoker. PLACE IN SMOKER WITH THE FAT CAP UP – this will season the meat and keep it from drying out. I mop it with a apple cider vinegar/beer/Worcestershire/onion/olive oil mop about ever two hours, very quickly so as not to lose heat. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I won't even venture to tell you how long it takes. I'd say about eight hours into your smoke, drop the probe into the thickest part of the cut and start monitoring the temp. It'll hit a plateau usually around 160-168 that'll drive you nuts because it may not move for 2-3 hours, but then it'll "pop" the plateau and you'll get that final twenty-five degrees in a short time. That's when all the tough connective tissue breaks down. Slice it long-ways, on the bias. Hopefully, it'll be good enough to serve without sauce.

[/FONT]

Thanks for that. This is probably the best one I have seen so far. I will be using your recipe for the game.

I had tried a few recipes before I did this one, and I absolutely love it!

Good lick with it man. A brisket is a tough cut of meat to cook. It took me a few attempts before I perfected it....but now it is freaking AWESOME.

BTW, I am serious about getting a good meat thermometer. The first time I tried smoking a brisket, I let it cook a little more than it needed to, and it came out tough as leather. I would recommend getting a digital meat thermometer with a wireless receiver. That way, you can monitor the temperature and have it set off the alarm once the meat's internal temperature reaches 190 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom