| NEWS Brett McMurphy explains why he ranks Alabama No. 3 in preseason - 247Sports

B

Bama News

If Nick Saban is looking for any motivational serum this offseason he can use as motivation for spring practice following Alabama's loss to Clemson in the national championship game, it looks like he may have found it.

College football analyst Brett McMurphy is the only media member nationally who doesn't believe Alabama is the nation's first or second-best team entering the 2019 season. He recently penned the Crimson Tide No. 3 behind Clemson and Georgia, a hot take that has generated major heat and needing an explanation.

Alabama returns the bulk of its talent off an offense that shattered several program records last season, anchored by Heisman finalist Tua Tagovailoa at quarterback.

"Look, I’m not predicting Alabama goes 7-5 or 6-6, I just feel they’ve had a number of key losses and eventually I think it’s going to catch up with Alabama,” McMurphy said in a recent interview for Stadium. “They lost seven players that left early for the NFL Draft, a program-high. They’ll have 11 at the NFL Combine, more than anybody in the country. As far as the coaching staff, Nick Saban has to replace seven assistant coaches. Last year, he had to replace six assistant coaches. This will be the third consecutive year Alabama has to replace its offensive and defensive coordinator.

"And their last two games on the field against Oklahoma and Clemson, they allowed more than 30 points. That’s the first time since 2013 Alabama allowed more than 30 pints in two consecutive games. It think Alabama is going to regress slightly, again, it’s not like they’re falling out of my Top 10 or Top 15, but I do think Clemson is clearly a better team and I think Georgia has a stronger team coming back. They know how close they came to beating Alabama the last two years. I give Georgia the slight edge over Alabama for the No. 2 spot."

Since when has personnel losses defensively been noticeably detrimental to Alabama's title hopes the following season? The standard for success in college football, Saban has posted four consecutive seasons of at least 13 victories and has finished outside of the Top 4 only once in the past eight years.

And still, there's outspoken doubters every spring when it comes to projecting where the Crimson Tide may fall at the end of the upcoming season. Less than two weeks shy of clinching 2019's national recruiting crown with America's top-ranked class, any depth questions Alabama heading into spring practice should be solved by the time the Crimson Tide open the season vs. Duke in Atlanta six months from now.

The defensive line will undergo major changes after the exit of Quinnen Williams and Isaiah Buggs and the departures of Mack Wilson and Deionte Thompson in the back seven has raised eyebrows on who may step up in those spots. But if this program has proven anything under Saban's watch it is the ability to absorb personnel changes and still compete at a dominant level.

Alabama will be hungry to avenge its disappointing finish and placing the Crimson Tide at No. 3 in a preseason ranking is awfully bold given this team's track record of success.

Georgia does not have a bettet team coming back. Their defense is full of holes, they just lost their top two receivers, number one tight end, arguably top running back, lost their backup quarterback and tight end to transfer, so they have holes all over the place.

Kirby and Dabo have yet to show they can sustain a top tier program after big turnover, because Dabo kept his nucleus for a while and Kirby is early in his tenure, so I am clueless how you put Georgia ahead of us. Clemson, sure, with every offensive weapon back, but most of their defense gone, still a solid team.

Bama will runthru it’s regular schedule like "shit through a tinhorn" as someone put it...Clemson will run through its schedule like ....well, the same...
UGA will have to hold off a rising Florida team...and trip to arising Tennessee team ( they cant go anywhere but up)...
..then the season starts...will be 1 and 2 from start to finish in regular season.....then for bama a SECe test...and for Clemson a playoff test..

Bama will runthru it’s regular schedule like "shit through a tinhorn" as someone put it...Clemson will run through its schedule like ....well, the same...
UGA will have to hold off a rising Florida team...and trip to arising Tennessee team ( they cant go anywhere but up)...
..then the season starts...will be 1 and 2 from start to finish in regular season.....then for bama a SECe test...and for Clemson a playoff test..
You're playing very well this morning

i think the defense has some problems that just came to a head at the end of the season, but I'm not sure I see that being rectified with the losses there after the season. I think Bama's opponents score more points on average in 2019 than any season since maybe 2008. The LB situation IMO was the biggest factor in Alabama's defensive decline last season. I don't see that being patched for 2019.

On the flip side, the offense should be quite fantastic.

Brett is just jumping on the mantra of "too many losses in the lineup and coaching turnover". The same schitck of the last 5-6 years. He is thinking maybe this is the year it will actually stick to the wall. He points to the 2013 season as some grounds for trouble. That team was 1 "fluky ass play of the century" from being a 3 peat National Champion.

i think the defense has some problems that just came to a head at the end of the season, but I'm not sure I see that being rectified with the losses there after the season. I think Bama's opponents score more points on average in 2019 than any season since maybe 2008. The LB situation IMO was the biggest factor in Alabama's defensive decline last season. I don't see that being patched for 2019.

On the flip side, the offense should be quite fantastic.

Bama has many trouble spots on defense and perhaps more than we've had on several years. Perhaps there is some very talented players that were backups but you didn't see much of them in 2018. Maybe we get lucky and have some true freshmen step forward like we did in 2008 with Donta,Mark,Julio etc.

i hope so. we have been spoiled since Coach Saban's arrival and really even before that with almost always having a great group of linebackers. That has saved Alabama from many a loss. I would like to see that return. I'm not saying we don't have any good players at that position, but it certainly needs improvement.

September 7th, A&M visits Clemson. That's a game I would hesitate to say "Clemson will run through." When I look at Clemson's record over the last several years they aren't rolling when it comes to that first meaningful game of the season. Their scoring average is what really catches my eye. If that holds true, and A&M can put up 28 or so against Clemson, they'll have a fight on their hands.

i wanna be #1 every year
A decade ago...really, longer than that when I think about it...it used to be fun watching the number of times Bama hit the 10 win mark. People still talk about "it's a 10 win season" when defining their teams success for a given year. It's become a bit of a low bar now-a-day with teams playing 13 games per season.

I'd have to look to be sure but I'm thinking it's still a Bama versus OU race for the most 10 win season in a programs history. I suspect there's still just a seasons difference between the two if it's not tied.

On that note, back in 2017, people pointed to it being the 10th consecutive year Bama had been ranked #1 in the AP poll at some point in the season. Last year made it 11 in a row. I'd like to see 12. As I recall, it would five seasons between Bama and the next team with the most consecutive seasons ranked #1—Miami with seven.

Back
Top Bottom