| FTBL Bowlsby is stepping down as the Big12 commissioner. Does this speed up the process of OU and TX in SEC play?

There's no reason to move to a 10 game SEC schedule. To do so would be a stupid move by the conference.

The talk is growing for everyone to go to that kind of schedule. It's not stupid when you start getting more money from donors and season ticket sales when you stop playing Utah State and add Oklahoma. We're already working away from neutral site games for the same reason with growing unrest amongst boosters. People want more home games and they want good home games, not trash. I'd be willing to bet we travel to another SEC game at about 50% of what we would being in for a home game against New Mexico State.

The talk is growing for everyone to go to that kind of schedule. It's not stupid when you start getting more money from donors and season ticket sales when you stop playing Utah State and add Oklahoma. We're already working away from neutral site games for the same reason with growing unrest amongst boosters. People want more home games and they want good home games, not trash. I'd be willing to bet we travel to another SEC game at about 50% of what we would being in for a home game against New Mexico State.
The Big 10 announced in January they were considering going to an eight game schedule.
The PAC announced last year they were thinking of going to an eight game schedule.
The ACC and SEC still have a eight game schedule

So where is this "talk" coming from other than people who have no control over the game, the conferences, or the schools? It's coming from those with no skin in the game.

With the number of titles and success the SEC has enjoyed it would be foolish to change something that works. Sankey has said so himself.

It's not stupid when you start getting more money from donors and season ticket sales when you stop playing Utah State and add Oklahoma.
That's not where the revenue comes from for the conference. 10 means cutting off the hand that's been feeding the SEC.

There's no reason to move to a 10 game SEC schedule. To do so would be a stupid move by the conference.
Whats stupid about it.
The 2020 all sec schedule showed how exciting each week was. And networks would pay more for that. Maybe tbs type would jump in
N buy games.

Whats stupid as shit is Austin Peay. UT Chatt ULMonroe Parie View Alcorn and
Other gimmy crap games ( plus have enough with vandy type lower levels in SEC)
Bama plays 3-4 big games. Rest are crap
@BamaFan334 is right. Maybe every body wants better football

Lets play football!

But ur right. Never do it because $$$$$$$$

The Big 10 announced in January they were considering going to an eight game schedule.
The PAC announced last year they were thinking of going to an eight game schedule.
The ACC and SEC still have a eight game schedule

So where is this "talk" coming from other than people who have no control over the game, the conferences, or the schools? It's coming from those with no skin in the game.

With the number of titles and success the SEC has enjoyed it would be foolish to change something that works. Sankey has said so himself.

That's not where the revenue comes from for the conference. 10 means cutting off the hand that's been feeding the SEC.

The Pac-12 has used their conference schedule as their building block to getting a Playoff berth, and that others should follow suit. I haven't heard a word about the Big 10. The ACC and SEC do, but there has been chatter. I never said power brokers were talking about it, but it all comes from somewhere. Even Saban has preferred that model so these guys can play every single SEC team while they're in school if they stay for four years. I guess that's no skin in the game to you?

I have zero clue what you're talking about when you're talking about revenue and it cutting off the hand that's feeding us. I really don't care what the SEC disbursement is, I'm speaking of the money raised by our own program and what it does for the city of every SEC school when you have better games being played. If you wanna go the TV route, you don't think ESPN pays more for the SEC rights if we have a ten game conference model that they can boast about having the gameS of the week in every slot of the day?

Simply because the current model has worked out for us doesn't mean changes can't happen or won't help us. I do not see another SEC game hurting our conference, but will almost make it impossible to not get in two Playoff teams when they bump that up against other resumes. We're adding two more teams and not getting rid of any. That means you can go eight years or more, whatever the math is, without playing a team from the other division. That's not what I want. I want to continue to build a rivalry with Georgia, with Texas, and Oklahoma. There would be zero difference in having those teams in our conference if we can't play them with anymore frequency than we could by going into a home and home with them as out of conference foes.

Whats stupid about it.
The 2020 all sec schedule showed how exciting each week was. And networks would pay more for that. Maybe tbs type would jump in
N buy games.

Whats stupid as shit is Austin Peay. UT Chatt ULMonroe Parie View Alcorn and
Other gimmy crap games ( plus have enough with vandy type lower levels in SEC)
Bama plays 3-4 big games. Rest are crap
@BamaFan334 is right. Maybe every body wants better football

Lets play football!

But ur right. Never do it because $$$$$$$$
A TBS broadcasting crew calling football games? Oh boy.

What sense does it make to move to a tougher schedule than any other conference when you're playing in the the toughest conference in collegiate football? Eight games has worked for the SEC. It's demonstrated by the success of the conference. But you're wanting to make the schedule more difficult than any other conference?

The 2020 all sec schedule showed how exciting each week was.

41, 49, and 60 were three of the margins of victory that season over SEC teams. How's that any more exciting than a 45 point win over Utah State? There was only one exciting game in the 2020's regular season: Ole Miss. The rest were blowouts. A four score win over A&M. A five score win over LSU.

How are any of those game different than playing any team you've mentioned? Prices for tickets will be higher and then we'll hear complaints about ticket prices again.

2020 was fun because there was a group saying they shouldn't play at all. It had nothing to do with schedule.

What sense does it make to move to a tougher schedule than any other conference when you're playing in the the toughest conference in collegiate football? Eight games has worked for the SEC. It's demonstrated by the success of the conference. But you're wanting to make the schedule more difficult than any other conference?

41, 49, and 60 were three of the margins of victory that season over SEC teams. How's that any more exciting than a 45 point win over Utah State? There was only one exciting game in the 2020's regular season: Ole Miss. The rest were blowouts. A four score win over A&M. A five score win over LSU.

How are any of those game different than playing any team you've mentioned? Prices for tickets will be higher and then we'll hear complaints about ticket prices again.

2020 was fun because there was a group saying they shouldn't play at all. It had nothing to do with schedule.

So you're saying you'd rather go watch Utah State play over Tennessee/Kentucky/Georgia/Missouri/South Carolina/or even Vanderbilt?

Your last comment is as laughable as it gets. It was exciting because there wasn't a week you could slip up due to the schedule. It was exciting because you knew the opponent was a member of the SEC and that's a fight every single week regardless of score. it was exciting because we felt more accomplished for the all-SEC schedule. Even Mac Jones was saying "greatest team of all-time" and "no one has ever gone undefeated with an all-SEC schedule". The players knew what what meant, but I guess we can take your word for it over theirs. Facing Mercer last year I'd say we were sloppy and looked below standard because we knew we could be.

The Pac-12 has used their conference schedule as their building block to getting a Playoff berth, and that others should follow suit. I haven't heard a word about the Big 10. The ACC and SEC do, but there has been chatter. I never said power brokers were talking about it, but it all comes from somewhere. Even Saban has preferred that model so these guys can play every single SEC team while they're in school if they stay for four years. I guess that's no skin in the game to you?

I have zero clue what you're talking about when you're talking about revenue and it cutting off the hand that's feeding us. I really don't care what the SEC disbursement is, I'm speaking of the money raised by our own program and what it does for the city of every SEC school when you have better games being played. If you wanna go the TV route, you don't think ESPN pays more for the SEC rights if we have a ten game conference model that they can boast about having the gameS of the week in every slot of the day?

Simply because the current model has worked out for us doesn't mean changes can't happen or won't help us. I do not see another SEC game hurting our conference, but will almost make it impossible to not get in two Playoff teams when they bump that up against other resumes. We're adding two more teams and not getting rid of any. That means you can go eight years or more, whatever the math is, without playing a team from the other division. That's not what I want. I want to continue to build a rivalry with Georgia, with Texas, and Oklahoma. There would be zero difference in having those teams in our conference if we can't play them with anymore frequency than we could by going into a home and home with them as out of conference foes.
The Pac-12 has used their conference schedule as their building block to getting a Playoff berth, and that others should follow suit.

And how far has that gotten them? You're suggesting lets change the SEC model to mirror that of a conference who isn't sniffing titles?

I have zero clue what you're talking about when you're talking about revenue and it cutting off the hand that's feeding us.

The payouts from the SEC is what fuels the programs in the SEC. If you're going with a tougher schedule those revenues will drop because you won't see as many in post season games which will affect attendance in games. Fans don't want to go to a game in the third week of November to see a team that's going to be sitting at home in two weeks.

I do not see another SEC game hurting our conference, but will almost make it impossible to not get in two Playoff teams when they bump that up against other resumes.

It'll mean teams will have one more loss. And he's not talking about adding another game, he's talking about adding two. So SEC will have two more losses. That doesn't translate to "impossible to keep two teams out of the playoffs." It translates to other conferences getting in because they have fewer losses.

"If it ain't broke."

I’m surprised Bowlsby lasted this long. He was clueless his two marquee teams were taken from right under his nose and then lashed out so angrily when he was shown to be a bumbling commish. I’m guessing his fate was sealed but they needed to hold him temporarily to look “stable” while they picked up such “powerhouse” replacements.

And how far has that gotten them? You're suggesting lets change the SEC model to mirror that of a conference who isn't sniffing titles?

The payouts from the SEC is what fuels the programs in the SEC. If you're going with a tougher schedule those revenues will drop because you won't see as many in post season games which will affect attendance in games. Fans don't want to go to a game in the third week of November to see a team that's going to be sitting at home in two weeks.

It'll mean teams will have one more loss. And he's not talking about adding another game, he's talking about adding two. So SEC will have two more losses. That doesn't translate to "impossible to keep two teams out of the playoffs." It translates to other conferences getting in because they have fewer losses.

"If it ain't broke."

Well bowls are already accepting teams with below .500 records, so I can't see how that really hurts us or our payout. Vanderbilt sees a couple more losses and a team like Mississppi State/Tennessee/Ole Miss/Arkansas/Auburn/Florida see a 1-1 record most likely. It's not as if the SEC causes itself to implode and die. Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and teams of that caliber are going to win in the years where they have a legit shot at the Playoff. If they don't, they were pretenders. A 10 game SEC schedule is more exciting, guarantee it provides higher viewership numbers, revenues for the colleges and their cities.

As far as mimicking the Pac-12, the brand of football sucks, so it's not apples and apples for the results. It's a noble idea.

We watch a wet noodle team come into Bryant-Denny every third week in November before Auburn anyways, and I'd dang sure rather see it against South Carolina/Kentucky/Vanderbilt/Missouri over South Carolina State. In the end, we kill just about anyone, but atleast there's more fanfare for a conference game than against a paycheck team.

Your thinking .....bama...and your thinking CFP

There is a lot more than just that....

First...the CFP....its gonna expand ....2 losses wont eliminate a sec team..

Second....there are more good games...that dont have bama in them...if your a football fan...maybe an extra with ole ms and texas...that you wouldny get with 8 game schedule
And if you are a Bama fan and aTP supporter...you are screaming for more quality games...for your money...( i know tentative future schedule )....
I would rater pay 100$/ticket for a game vs quality opponent then 40$ for Austin Peay

And tbs...damn man they just had national championship broadcast of CBB...
You dont think they could put together a broadcast team as good as brad n gary.

But...ok...we are just having our opinions....no problem ....
@BamaFan334

Back
Top Bottom