| FTBL Bowden backs Saban backing Johns

Swamptick

Verified Member
Here you go

I don't know how most of you feel about Bowden but he was on a radio program in Orlando while I lived there and he talked about Alabama ALLOT and ALWAYS with respect and admiration. I like him now that he is not a coach in the SEC. Don't read to much into me saying I like him. I am just saying that he was always very complimentary of Alabama and his radio show was entertaining. Like him or not the guy does know a little bit about sports radio.

Notice him giving a little support to Shula.

Swamptick said:
Here you go

I don't know how most of you feel about Bowden but he was on a radio program in Orlando while I lived there and he talked about Alabama ALLOT and ALWAYS with respect and admiration. I like him now that he is not a coach in the SEC. Don't read to much into me saying I like him. I am just saying that he was always very complimentary of Alabama and his radio show was entertaining. Like him or not the guy does know a little bit about sports radio.

His daddy wanted to coach at Alabama and grew up a bear fan....who did we get instead...it escapes me? Curry or Perkins?

Its the same hack writer that was dissin on Saban a few weeks ago....

Its nice hearing from the point of view of a former coach. Especially one who had a similar problem. Like mentioned in the article, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. In JJ's case, it didn't work out in a very extreme way.

Kc said:
Swamptick said:
Here you go

His daddy wanted to coach at Alabama and grew up a bear fan....who did we get instead...it escapes me? Curry or Perkins?

Its the same hack writer that was dissin on Saban a few weeks ago....

Bobby Bowden grew up an Alabama fan, and actually reported as a freshman quarterback in the early 50's. He got married and that didn't fly, so he went over to Howard College (Samford).

He wanted the job when Perkins left, and the details of his non-hiring are sketchy. The general concensus I have always understood was that the president was in process of turning Alabama into a little Harvard and wanted to downplay football; hence, Curry was the Coach du jour. Bowden ended up getting a lifetime deal from FSU after that.

kayleighsdad said:
I don't really like the little troll, but he makes sense in this one instance.

He actually isn't so bad. His radio show "The Terry Bowden Show with Daniel Dom" is a pretty entertaining, up beat show that is generally the exact opposite of Finebaum. They cover the stories of the day(of course many of those stories cover Florida football teams and Orlando sports)and go allot of good interviews and tend to keep things light while still being very entertaining.

As a coach he did manage an undefeated season but I don't think too much of that.

I like the guy for what he is. If you listen to his show he speaks often of Alabama and it's fans. Every single time he speaks with a HIGH degree of respect.

The statement regarding parents and how they've changed might be the most telling. At least in my opinion. Kids have not changed in that they'll do as much as they can and get away as much as possible. Nowadays you see a lot of parents who are just oblivious. Some don't care and some don't know how to parent. Working in pediatrics in the past I've seen some pretty impressive performances by kids who play their parents like puppets.

Agree with Swamptick

I agree with ya bro. Coach Terry has always been complimentary toward Bama. I've always tried to return the respect. I wasn't around when he was at Auburn, thanks to the Navy, so I don't know about his stint at Auburn. Maybe I'm old school but when a coach can go undefeated in the SEC, he did something right...

I think the whole Bowden family are class acts and am proud the parents are from the state. We will see it again before the Clemson game, the Bowden family will hold Bama in high regard as they answer the typical ESPN type questions, "How do you feel about...".

As for Terry, his Yahoo columns are pretty fair and accurate. Any one else like his take on things?

porkchop said:
The statement regarding parents and how they've changed might be the most telling. At least in my opinion. Kids have not changed in that they'll do as much as they can and get away as much as possible. Nowadays you see a lot of parents who are just oblivious. Some don't care and some don't know how to parent. Working in pediatrics in the past I've seen some pretty impressive performances by kids who play their parents like puppets.

Agreed. This is a good quote for Bowden:

"Players haven't changed," Bowden said. "Parents have.

I've seen that in my career, over and over and over.

THROWITDEEP said:
I always thought Bobby Bowden would have gone to Bama back in the 80's. He just seems like he would have fit to me.

He would have came here all day long and the next day. He was yanked around a bit by some really brilliant minds who were present here at the time and it didn't work out.

My granddaddy was friends with Bobby and Ann all the way up until my grandaddy was called home in 1999. The Bowden family has ALWAYS been BIG fans of the Tide. So, these comments from Coach Bowden don't surprise me. A certain Bowden coach would coach Alabama still today if given the chance.

Cory

Back
Top Bottom