| NEWS Booger McFarland: People have made too many excuses for Alabama - 247Sports

B

Bama News

The Alabama Crimson Tide are the only team to appear in every College Football Playoff, and they will enter the 2019 season with the same expectations.

But for the second time in four seasons, Alabama will begin the new schedule coming off a defeat to the Clemson Tigers in the national championship game. Fans and college football pundits have had months to stew over the 44-16 victory by Clemson in last season's title game, and one analyst has not liked what he has heard.

ESPN's Booger McFarland appeared on The Paul Finebaum Show to discuss his outlook on Alabama, as Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban and his team attempt to avenge the sour ending to the 2018 season.

"I've been listening to your show, Paul, and I kind've been a little disappointed," McFarland said. "OK, and here's why: Everyone seems to seems to say that when Alabama loses that the kids aren't focused. 'OK, Mack Wilson is worried about being the Butkus (Award winner for best linebacker in the country). These players are concerned with their individual accolades.' How about just saying Clemson was a better team, and they got beat? That's the one thing that people that call in to your show don't just say.

"Sometimes there's not a reason or excuse, except the other team is better. And to me, that's the disappointing part. When I listen to some of the callers that call in, 'The coaching staff and no continuity, and you know, the players are worried about the NFL.' What about that the other team is just better? (Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney) has done one hell of a job. And I was at the game, Paul. Clemson lined up and they beat Alabama. It wasn't a fluke OK. (Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa) wasn't sick. He didn't have the flu. They just lined up and beat Alabama. They hit 'em square in the mouth and they beat 'em. And I think that that's the thing that if you ask Nick Saban, he'll tell you. And I think as you move forward, Alabama has to figure out how to get better."

Saban overhauled the coaching staff during the offseason. Inside linebackers coach Pete Golding was promoted to defensive coordinator. Along with Golding, the Crimson Tide added Brian Baker (associate head coach/defensive line), Charles Huff (associate head coach/running backs), Charles Kelly (associate defensive coordinator/safeties), Kyle Flood (offensive line), Steve Sarkisian (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks), Sal Sunseri (outside linebackers) and Holmon Wiggins (wide receivers).

"Now (Alabama) went through the offseason, and hopefully they regroup," McFarland said. "Nick Saban is the greatest coach I think in the history of sport along with Bill Belichick and Gregg Popovich. He'll have this team ready. The key will be can (Tua Tagovailoa) stay healthy? If Tua stays healthy, they'll be right there. If he doesn't, Paul, Georgia is good enough to beat Alabama in the SEC championship game. Or A&M, or LSU or any of these other teams are capable if Tua doesn't stay healthy. Because he's that special of a player, and they don't have a backup that is ready to go behind him."

Well we had the better team for one. We drove up and down the field on their defense. We also had some injuries that popped up against Georgia and Oklahoma while they coasted against an overmatched Pittsburgh and Notre Dame.

Clemson beat us, that's a fact. Their coaches beat us. Our guys were just not in the correct position and some of their guys made amazing plays. I mean, look at Higgins and Ross and those catches they made to save an inaccurate Lawrence all night long.

I'm not negative because we lost, I'm negative because everyone now claims Lawrence would have gone #1 in this past draft, and that Clemson's defense was impenetrable. Dabo is claiming "Best Team Ever", and it simply was not a game that warrants the negativity brought on our team. Tosh did a HORRID job in the Natty, just bloody awful. Locksley stalled in the red zone, and just killed our defense by sending them back out to make another stand.

I agree with sentiments like the one about Mack Wilson though. I am proud of his achievements and that he gave his efforts to Alabama, but he was always in it for himself, the money, and the notoriety. His social media usage was a hindrance to his ability to progress as a player and to keep any of us from seeing that he was actually about the team. This is the kind of behavior that Coach Saban speaks of and what AJ McCarron spoke about. I think Dylan Moses is the opposite, hence why he was a Finalist and will be even better this season as a leader.

Clemson kicked our butts. But it's perfectly legitimate to consider all contributing factors when assessing areas for improvement. There is no question that Clemson had a much easier path. They also were able to prepare for us while preparing for ND. But that is how it goes and we were not up to the task the day of the game - no excuses.

IMHO, Lawrence - the new media darling - is a bit overrated. Unfortunately, he won't be much challenged the entire regular season because the ACC is really bad. I would expect to see them in the Playoffs again. This time, however, I will expect a rather different outcome and here's why:
  • they lost their entire starting D-Line to the NFL (people underestimate how impactful that group was)
  • Sark will help Tua play with more maturity and hopefully he stays healthy
  • Contrary to what Booger stated, I believe we have at least two young backups that, if pressed into duty, would do just fine - not too terribly unlike young Mr. Lawrence
  • Our defensive secondary will actually be better, and so will our LBers, and by that time in the season, I expect we will be getting a great deal more pressure on the QB from our young pass-rushers.

is this the same booger who kept saying LSU had what it took to beat BAMA for 8 years , only to wear his ass for a hat after November and look totally like a homer again ..

Thank God he went to the nfl . I got tired of him going after the hot take every time he went on tv hoping for that one time he would be right and he would think he was a genius , unfortunately “ for him “ he never struck gold .

PS , he’s just as bad on the sidelines of the nfl .

Last edited:
He's right...Clemson took it to Bama. Made Bama look weak. They were more than ready. They looked really fresh and sparked. Kudos to Clemson. They have much to be proud of. Of course, it does make it somewhat easier to accomplish when your entire regular season is made up of milquetoast teams, and the first Playoff game is against a team that many thought should not even be in the game. That being said, they did what they had to do to be the National Champions. Now, I have to schedule, sometime this Fall, a Saturday to go to Clemson and repay a Steak Dinner to my old HS Classmate that attended Clemson and bought one for me last year. I just dread the thought that his Steak is going to be so much better than my crow.
Oh well...ROLL TIDE!

Third down plays on defense and the inability to convert offensive yards to points were the death blows.

Overall Alabama looked unprepared for the game.

Who's giving Alabama an excuse? For the record, I haven't watched SECN or ESPN in probably 3 months.

our trend seems to be that if we lose a regular season game, we go through the playoffs and win the championship.

other than 2009, all of our national championship under Coach Saban have been with 1 loss during the regular season.

2011...lost to lsu
2012...lost to aTm
2015...lost to ole miss
2017...lost to auburn

that 1 loss during the season seems to get the guys to focus better on what's at stake. and i'm not saying I want us to lose a game, just to win a national championship.....but i'd certainly take 1 loss in the regular season and a national championship trophy vs. undefeated through 14 games and lose the final game.

BUT.....i'd MUCH rather go undefeated through the regular season, conference championship game, playoffs, and national championship game. but that's every fan, for every team, for every season. that's what we all want. but only 1 team can have it, each year.

“Everybody’s got pretty good players now, more players than there’ve ever been. If you play poorly, you’re going to get beat.”
– Paul Bryant
Perhaps more true than in the past
Even more appropriate for the subject of the OP...
"“The same thing(s) win, that always won... And we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose.”
– Paul Bryant

I have rewatched that game. I for the life of me figured how we lost. For sure Clemson coaching was great. They knew if Tua made a couple throwsclose he would go long and Clemson safety was waiting. A bad game for Bama. Great game for Clemson

I have rewatched that game. I for the life of me figured how we lost. For sure Clemson coaching was great. They knew if Tua made a couple throwsclose he would go long and Clemson safety was waiting. A bad game for Bama. Great game for Clemson

Yep, it hurts. It has the same feel for me as the 2014 team after Ohio State. Really though couldn't you feel this game coming on since LSU? Coach Saban just said that he felt that after the SECCG he felt the coaches had another agenda. A lot of them were interviewing and making plans elsewhere. It wasn't a great group of guys teaching fundamentals to start with.

In 2014 I just felt that we didn't have the horses. In 2016, we had the Kiffin exodus and we didn't move the ball enough to win, but you talk about leaving a great defense out to dry, that was pure misery. And last year, it was really a staff meltdown. It was a shame cause in 2016 and 2018 we really had super talented teams.

Yep, it hurts. It has the same feel for me as the 2014 team after Ohio State. Really though couldn't you feel this game coming on since LSU? Coach Saban just said that he felt that after the SECCG he felt the coaches had another agenda. A lot of them were interviewing and making plans elsewhere. It wasn't a great group of guys teaching fundamentals to start with.

In 2014 I just felt that we didn't have the horses. In 2016, we had the Kiffin exodus and we didn't move the ball enough to win, but you talk about leaving a great defense out to dry, that was pure misery. And last year, it was really a staff meltdown. It was a shame cause in 2016 and 1018 we really had super talented teams.

Watching the 2nd half of Bama vs OU (not our offense) showed that same defense took the field vs Clemson. Losing the 2016 NC game with all the talent on that defense bothers me more than shitting the bed last year.

In 2014 I just felt that we didn't have the horses. In 2016, we had the Kiffin exodus and we didn't move the ball enough to win, but you talk about leaving a great defense out to dry, that was pure misery. And last year, it was really a staff meltdown. It was a shame cause in 2016 and 2018 we really had super talented teams.

I agree with your comments regarding the 2016 team. That defense was one of the best ones, maybe other than 2010, but before that one of the Top 2 defenses Alabama has had. The offense just sucked that night after Scarbrough went out injured.

As far as the Ohio State loss, not really sure where to begin with that one. That game was over midway through the second quarter, and then we forgot we had two superb running backs in Yeldon and Henry. I think we definitely had the horses, just not the offensive play calling. Coaching has killed us in all three of those games like you mentioned. I never put that together, but now that light has been shed on it it is beyond frustrating. We have definitely had players with a Team Me attitude and looking forward and such, but it's absolutely uncalled for when a coach doesn't give 110%. So they want their players to give it their all, their time, blood, sweat, and tears without getting paid, but they feel like they can quit on their team, interview for other jobs, be making other plans, all while getting paid and being unprepared? You want to talk about reparations? These coaches should be forced to pony up their salaries for those weeks they had and didn't prepare and give it to the athletes they short changed. I'm not for players getting paid, just simply making a point that in this case the guy getting paid is the one screwing over the ones that are working hard for the opportunity to get paid and be the best. Sorry, rant over. Little burst of pissed off just went through me.

I agree with your comments regarding the 2016 team. That defense was one of the best ones, maybe other than 2010, but before that one of the Top 2 defenses Alabama has had. The offense just sucked that night after Scarbrough went out injured.

As far as the Ohio State loss, not really sure where to begin with that one. That game was over midway through the second quarter, and then we forgot we had two superb running backs in Yeldon and Henry. I think we definitely had the horses, just not the offensive play calling. Coaching has killed us in all three of those games like you mentioned. I never put that together, but now that light has been shed on it it is beyond frustrating. We have definitely had players with a Team Me attitude and looking forward and such, but it's absolutely uncalled for when a coach doesn't give 110%. So they want their players to give it their all, their time, blood, sweat, and tears without getting paid, but they feel like they can quit on their team, interview for other jobs, be making other plans, all while getting paid and being unprepared? You want to talk about reparations? These coaches should be forced to pony up their salaries for those weeks they had and didn't prepare and give it to the athletes they short changed. I'm not for players getting paid, just simply making a point that in this case the guy getting paid is the one screwing over the ones that are working hard for the opportunity to get paid and be the best. Sorry, rant over. Little burst of pissed off just went through me.

And trying to critique coach Saban's style of doing business is just a fruitless waste of time. It bothers me at times because of the state of Alabama recruits who you wonder at times if they don't feel they are being overlooked by Bama. But when you recruit nationally and always finish #1 in talent each year, where is the legitimate beef? The cost of doing business.

I just look at the quality of assistant coaches in the NFL or with other schools and wonder why Momma hasn't called some of these guys home? Would some of these homegrowns be more willing to make a career out of learning the business at their Alma Motta? DeMarco Ryan looks like an up and coming NFL coach. Freddie Kitchen has been a known commodity for a while. I guess the irritation is a little more on the college end. More Alabama alumni on Clemson and Tennessee's staff than Alabama and they are obviously very good coaches. You know Thad Turnipseed, Lemanski Hall, Todd Bate, Charlie Peprah. Tennessee is ridiculous. I still don't know how the fans are able to hold their nose at this staff and keep singing Rocky Top. I could imagine that the Tennessee coaching staff this year in Tuscaloosa lighting up the cigars, after the game, just out of old habits. Could Will Friend get the job done with Bama's OL? Brian Niedermeyer is tearing it up on the recruiting trail and coaches TE. Kevin Sherrer is making noise wherever he goes and apparently did a good job when he was at Bama. Just some of the guys out there.

With another complete rebuild of our coaching staff 2 years in a row, it makes you wonder why we don't have our homegrowns trying to get back? Watching our guys go to some of our hated rivals is increasingly tough. Just makes you wonder if that's not some of the solution to the obvious mercenary spirit our staffs have been giving off.

Back
Top Bottom