| CURRENT EVENTS Boeing's 737's being grounded. I can't imagine this phone call.

TerryP

Staff
I just caught the tail end of a report on NPR about the FAA reporting the door had been reportedly found in someone's back yard. As I said, I'm trying to imagine the phone call...'

"Uh, there's a plane door that just landed in my back yard next to the grill?"

Yeah, the plane involved was practically new, something like 140-150 cycles. They make the fuselages to work in a multitude of configurations, and they plug the emergency exit windows (doors) that aren't used. The plug is what left the plane, not a door. I haven't seen that Southwest has been impacted because their configurations have an actual emergency exit in that location and not the plug. Because of their network strategy and ability to turn equipment quickly, they put theirs through many more cycles than other airlines. If it were a longevity problem, it would likely show up there. They suspect this was an installation issue. Sheer luck the two seats beside that plug weren't occupied, plus if you want it to fail, 16,000 feet isn't that much altitude. If that happened at 35,000 feet, it would've pulled some unbuckled folks out. On the maintenance side, I read that they'd gotten pressurization alerts on this unit, and it'd been cleared by maintenance. There's a good bit yet to learn on this.

Back
Top Bottom