| FTBL Big 12 vs. SEC: Which is the better conference?

BigAl

Verified Member
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=479834

No. 1 Alabama vs. Texas

Alabama has better interior lines, and the skill players are a wash. The big difference is at quarterback, where Texas' Colt McCoy is more accurate and can do more with his legs than the Tide's John Parker Wilson. Still, Texas hasn't seen a defense like Alabama's, which can pinch on the outside with quick rush ends while maneater Terrence Cody collapses the pocket, leaving McCoy nowhere to scramble and find receivers breaking off routes. A close game, likely overtime.

Final score: Alabama 27-24 (OT)

When OU faced Tx I saw nothing out of either team that led me to think they could stop our running game. I still believe if we faced each other we'd get over 150 yards on the ground, possibly even break that 200 yard mark.

This one has to hurt that school to the north of us...
No. 10 Tennessee vs. Baylor

Pssst. Psssssst. Hey! Wake up! Listen, this matchup isn't so bad, is it? Well, yeah, it is. But there's one bright spot, and his name is Robert Griffin. Baylor's true freshman quarterback, a tote-it-or-chuck-it dual threat, is better than anyone who has yet to see him play could possibly realize, inasmuch as he wears a Baylor uniform and the negative associations that come with that are potent. Then again, some folks still see orange-and-white and think, "Now that there is a halfway decent football team." Ha!

Final score: Baylor 20-13

Someone explain to me why anyone thinks Texas Tech is good...Here is their schedule thus far...

August 30 Eastern Washington W 49-24 1-0 (0-0)
September 6 at Nevada W 35-19 2-0 (0-0)
September 13 Southern Methodist W 43-7 3-0 (0-0)
September 20 Massachusetts W 56-14 4-0 (0-0)
October 4 at Kansas State W 58-28 5-0 (1-0)
October 11 Nebraska W 37-31 6-0 (2-0)
October 18 at Texas A&M W 43-25 7-0 (3-0)
October 25 at No. 23 Kansas W 63-21 8-0 (4-0)

That's one decent opponent they have beaten and I use the term decent very loosely.

capooth said:
Someone explain to me why anyone thinks Texas Tech is good...Here is their schedule thus far...

August 30 Eastern Washington W 49-24 1-0 (0-0)
September 6 at Nevada W 35-19 2-0 (0-0)
September 13 Southern Methodist W 43-7 3-0 (0-0)
September 20 Massachusetts W 56-14 4-0 (0-0)
October 4 at Kansas State W 58-28 5-0 (1-0)
October 11 Nebraska W 37-31 6-0 (2-0)
October 18 at Texas A&M W 43-25 7-0 (3-0)
October 25 at No. 23 Kansas W 63-21 8-0 (4-0)

That's one decent opponent they have beaten and I use the term decent very loosely.
How does that make them a bad team? They have gone out there and taken care of business. People do not think they are a good team because of their record, obviously.

Im not saying they are a bad team, instead I am just trying to make the point that like much of the Big 12 they have played very weak opponents which results in inflated offensive numbers.

Sorry my first post was not clear of my intentions, I don't think they are a bad team but I def dont consider them a number 7 team in the nation.

capooth said:
Im not saying they are a bad team, instead I am just trying to make the point that like much of the Big 12 they have played very weak opponents which results in inflated offensive numbers.

Sorry my first post was not clear of my intentions, I don't think they are a bad team but I def dont consider them a number 7 team in the nation.

Like they do every season, they are moving into the meat of their schedule which tends to put them about where they belong in the rankings. I understand the love they receive based on the offensive numbers Leach and his teams tend to put up. In this case, a top 10 spot doesn't seem too far off the mark.

They did face a top 25 ranked Kansas team that ended up being a blow out. Kansas did "hang" with #4 OU, to a degree.

A lot of people have pointed to Tx Tech and specifically what they considered to be an improved defense this year. We'll see on that note as well.

Interestingly enough, despite the years and years of positive press they have received since Leach left OU and took over the Tech program they haven't broken that 10 win mark yet.

I'm not sure I agree with their SEC rankings. 1-4 are clear cut, but based on the way they are playing now, I'd go with:

5. Ole Miss
6. SC
7. Vandy
8. Aub
9. M St
10 Ark
11 Tn
12 Ky (Just because they are so beat up now)

That picture will clear up this weekend.

The Bib 12, unlike the SEC, plays its non conference games early, leading people to think that some of those great offenses are actually great teams.

Texas Tech plays Texas this week, and still has Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to go. When they finish that little run we'll know a lot more about how good they are. (I expect them to have three losses at the end of the regular season.)

Back
Top Bottom