| FTBL Best Running Back Saban Era

IMG_1405-X4.jpg

some good running backs in this one

I guess I'm going to be an outlier and say, "it's Mark."

For one, he's just a hair behind TJ for career yards at the Capstone but that's not the reason I choose Ingram. It's 2009, vs UofSC, where he literally took over the ball game.

I know people will point to Derrick and mention the 270 yards he had against Auburn in 2015: on 48 carries. It just doesn't touch Mark's 250 on 24 carries in Columbia.

Coincidently, out of the three players Derrick mentioned when he committed, two were TJ and Mark. Without those two, would Henry have worn Crimson?
If you consider the impact on the program, starting the new tradition of backs who lined up to play at Bama, then it's definitely Mark, just like it's Julio for WR.

That makes me think of another interesting rabbit to chase. How many RBs transferred out and had strong college careers? Is Kamara the best of those? I can't think of another one personally.
Jerome Ford did really well at Cincinnati. Dee Hart did well at Colorado State, although not many people probably know that do to their lack of national attention over there.

Jerome Ford did really well at Cincinnati. Dee Hart did well at Colorado State, although not many people probably know that do to their lack of national attention over there.
Colorado State has a football program? HaHa no I do remember Dee Hart. I hated that it didn't work out for him at Bama. And I do remember Jerome Ford also. I forgot that he went to Cincinnati.

I guess I'm going to be an outlier and say, "it's Mark."
Me too. Didn't have top end speed. Wasn't as tough to tackle as Trent or Derrick. Wasn't as elusive as others either. But he was a complete back. Patient and followed his blocks. Never went down easily. And probably the best pass blocking RB so far in the Saban era. The dude would destroy pass rushers. And there was a TD he scored in one game (I forget the opponent), and immediately after crossing the end zone he went to Maze to thank him for the crucial block allowing him to score. And I don't remember him celebrating solo. He always celebrated with his teammates.

Me too. Didn't have top end speed. Wasn't as tough to tackle as Trent or Derrick. Wasn't as elusive as others either. But he was a complete back. Patient and followed his blocks. Never went down easily. And probably the best pass blocking RB so far in the Saban era. The dude would destroy pass rushers. And there was a TD he scored in one game (I forget the opponent), and immediately after crossing the end zone he went to Maze to thank him for the crucial block allowing him to score. And I don't remember him celebrating solo. He always celebrated with his teammates.
I think it was a KY SI cover, just nasty.

It's the boring off season again, and I was watching some old games and I was thinking about this. Who are the top RBs of the Saban era? Here are my choices. Post your choices and let's compare.

1. Derrick Henry - The King. He was a force of nature. Grown in a lab to be the perfect RB.
2. Najee Harris - His athleticism and vision were incredible and he was the most versatile of all the RBs
3. Trent Richardson - this may be controversial. Ingram may have won the Heisman but I think TR was the better back. His blend of speed, burst, and power was a joy to watch. I really thought he would make it in the NFL.
4. Mark Ingram - Alabama's first Heisman winner. Strong, smart, a true leader. He was always fun to watch, and he had heart.
5. Damien Harris - He was so talented, and he was very smart and versatile. He was a team guy.
6. TJ Yeldon - Fast, tough, good vision, great receiver. He was excellent in the open field.
7. Eddie Lacy - circle button. Good blend of athleticism and power.
8. Kenyan Drake - The fastest RB in the Saban era. The injury was a setback but he had an outstanding career at Bama
9. Josh Jacobs - Didn't get a lot of carries at Bama, and his stats didn't reflect his talent. But he was tough, smart, and athletic.
10. Bo Scarborough - Another one who didn't get a lot of carries, but he had power similar to King Henry. But not the speed
11. Glen Coffee - Tough, hard nosed, willing to do whatever the team needed. He was a very talented back on a not so talented team.

What do you think? Did I miss anyone? Do you disagree with my choices? Discuss.

So I had characteristics that I loved about certain guys but hard to say which was best. Much like some women in my life I loved them all differently so hard to say which ex girlfriend I liked the best..

1) Derreck Henry - homerun ability and work ethic
2) Najee - Once he decided to get up field was a complete back with everything you could want
3) Trent- great college RB when he was told what hole to hit, zone scheme nor finding the hole was good for him
4)Ingram- studd. Hit the hole hard, was smart and loved bama
5) Damien - best vision of any we have had, good speed and truly understood what the offense needed on every play
6) Yeldon, complete back that had fantastic feet. Was super shifty in the hole
7 Lacy - loved lacy, the spin move and how hard he was to tackle
8) Drake - acceleration was special and he played hard every play
9) Jacobs - super quick his first year, put on some wait and became very dependable. Being a change up benefited him but loved him his last year
10) Big Bo- could have been the best of them all, had everything except catching passes just had ACL's made of tissue paper
11) Coffee was just a tough grind it out RB.. did it all but just not as gifted as the others on this list. He was a gamer though.

Back
Top Bottom