| LIFE Best handgun for my wife

alabamajack

I've spoken with several people including military, policemen and just avid hunters but getting a wide variety of suggestions so I thought I'd ask here as well. For personal protection and for someone with no firearm experience; what would be a good pistol to get for my wife?

Take her to the gun store and let her hold several different brands and types. Let her pick the one that best fits her hand. Then, take her to the range and let her shoot a few. If she's never shot a gun before, have her start with .22. It's a good caliber to get people started as it shows them the recoil, but not in a less-violent way than most everything else. After that, if she's willing, have her shoot a 9mm.

Some people may tell you that .22 is terrible for home/personal defense. But the fact remains that ANY gun is better than the one you DON'T have.

Take her to the gun store and let her hold several different brands and types. Let her pick the one that best fits her hand. Then, take her to the range and let her shoot a few. If she's never shot a gun before, have her start with .22. It's a good caliber to get people started as it shows them the recoil, but not in a less-violent way than most everything else. After that, if she's willing, have her shoot a 9mm.

Some people may tell you that .22 is terrible for home/personal defense. But the fact remains that ANY gun is better than the one you DON'T have.
Agree with this-let her pick it out after trying out several. I have a SW642 and is simple to use but took ALOT of practice to be able shoot well and I don't advise +P ammo.

@alabamajack I posted this link here about nine months ago, maybe longer. At that point I only had the rounds for a 9mm and a .223. They now make them to fit a few revolvers. It may seem cheap. We've given it to two different ladies who purchased their first handgun.

For a "toy," it's a lot of fun as well.

@alabamajack I posted this link here about nine months ago, maybe longer. At that point I only had the rounds for a 9mm and a .223. They now make them to fit a few revolvers. It may seem cheap. We've given it to two different ladies who purchased their first handgun.

For a "toy," it's a lot of fun as well.

Lol now you tell me. We went ahead and got her a Ruger 357. Surprisingly, she did better with that one than the smaller ones she had tried earlier

Ruger 357s do shoot well and its weight absorbs a lot of recoil. Since she picked it out it is HERS and will be more prone to practice with it.

True, I enjoy shooting mine, it's a Security Six Bicentennial with the Speed Six feature and 4 inch barrel, stainless. I keep it in a quick spot at home, and I usually take it to the range with me.

Back
Top Bottom