| FTBL Been reviewing the 2016 season

musso

... per Cruz Oxenreider's game highlights posted on X. And man, I see a run-based offense with Hurts at QB, a stable of RBs, and WRs in motion on almost every play. All I keep thinking is how dominating Milroe, our OL, and our skill players would be in a similar offensive approach. I know Milroe has a rocket arm, but an offense that prioritizes controlling the clock given our secondary with questionable depth, could be a recipe for winning complementary football.

Agree? Disagree?

Tight formations, heavy run and motion all point to the lack of a dominant passer. This year, we are somewhere on the passing continuum between Hurts and Tua, coupled with a QB running capacity that exceeds Hurts and any other recent QB running threat. I believe our staff will make hay on both.

Hurts was limited as a passer as @OldPlayer said, but we had a damn defense that scored as much if not more than the offense!! That offense resembled more of the ‘92 offense that Coach Moore ran for Coach Stallings. The offense’s job was to “not turn it over and put the defense in a bad spot!”

I agree with everyone that Hurts had limited passing abilities, and as @It Takes Eleven says, Milroe is a better passer now than Hurts was in 2016. I’d also add that Milroe is a faster runner too, and our returning OL can be better than our 2016 OL.

I just hope, like all last season, that we use Milroe on designed runs more. I never understood why Milroe would stand in the pocket so long. How many times did Milroe get sacked when he had the mobility and physicality (like Hurts) to pick up 5-10 yards by himself on any given down? As predictable as Hurts was, he kept so many drives alive with his legs by moving the chains whereas last season Milroe acted like he was more Gary Hollingsworth than in the mold of Michael Vick.

Am I unfairly blaming a lack of QB runs when I should be blaming instead all the bad snaps and poor pass protection???

Back
Top Bottom