| FTBL Aside from the comment about Coach Stalling's sweater . . . some funny stuff

bear facts

Verified Member
via Pete Fiutak's not-so-serious obervations of CBS telecast of SECGG and the game as it unfolded (didn't like PF downplaying Ingram's performance, though):

Pregame

- Florida has only beaten one team currently ranked, Alabama wasn't always impressive in an average year in the SEC, and there are many who believe these two are incredibly overrated and way too overhyped. I don't care. . . . After two great championship games to start the day (Cincinnati over Pitt and ECU over Houston), now it's time for the main course. I'm not ready to say this is for the national championship, Texas belongs in the debate, but at the very least this is as close to a playoff as we're going to get. Enjoy.

- Tony Barnhardt: "It's never been about the numbers." He was referring to Tim Tebow, and he was saying it with a straight face. Tony, there's this thing called a TV, and on this TV you can watch football games from all across the country. Over the last four years there have been a few Florida football games on this TV.

- Archie Manning's jacket, my great-grandma's couch called. It wants its fabric back. Actually, no it doesn't.

- Gene Stalling's sweater, Bill Cosby called from the 1980s. He wants it back.

- Tracy Wolfson asked Nick Saban about Mark Ingram. Saban's response: "I owe my great hair to Head & Shoulders."
Wolfson: "That's not what I asked, Nick,"
Saban: "Isn't it? ... Isn't it?"
Wolfson: (sheepishly) "Yes."

- There's a line from A Few Good Men that I'd like to use for the Florida all-white uniforms, but this is a family show.

First Quarter

Alabama on its own 20
- Spread them out, empty backfield. Florida will take Greg McElroy throwing the ball all game long.
- Complete to Julio Jones, McElroy got tons of time. Without Carlos Dunlap, Florida had better come up with a pass rush from somewhere.
- Uh, Nike. You need to do something about these Florida uniforms. I can see buttcheeks through the lightweight white. If the game was outside and if it was raining, this would get ugly.
- Alabama has a nice pace early on. It can't let the Gators get settled in, and the Bama offense has to mix things up.
- McElroy is sharp early. This means everything. He's a rhythm, confidence passer. Could the late drive against Auburn be the defining moment in McElroy's career?
- I will never again be able to hear the name of Alabama RB Roy Upchurch without thinking of John Saunders calling him Roy Upchuck.
- Florida's defense wasn't exactly sharp, but it forced the long field goal. Leigh Tiffin nailed the 48-yard bomb.
Alabama 3 ... Florida 0

Florida on its own 26
- That icky look on Urban Meyer's face was him physically ill after Florida's first attempt to run its little dive play got stuffed.
- The Gators botched two plays in a row, Tebow didn't get any help from his receivers, and punt.
- Meyer screaming on his headset to no one in particular: "REWRITE!!!"
- Chas Henry with a brilliant punt to get the Gators out of a jam. I haven't submitted my Heisman ballot yet.

Alabama on its own 24
- McElroy is getting time, Florida isn't showing any pressure, and now things will open up ...
- ... for Ingram, who almost ripped off a home run. He got seven.
- Bama is gouging ... ha! Verne just used the word gouging as I was writing that.
- The Bama line is KILLING the Florida defensive front so far.
- 3rd and 7. ... no pressure again, and McElroy is able to play pitch-and-catch. Florida is making this easy.
- Fantastic shot of Meyer taking a deep sigh and looking to no one in particular with a look on his face like, "oy vey."
- Florida has to come up with something productive on the defensive front in a big hurry.
- And there it is. Jermaine Cunningham showed why he has first round ability. He blew around the end for a sack, but the Gators got tagged for a hold.
- I blame the uniforms for Florida's bad start.
- Ingram barreling, battling, fighting ... touchdown.
- And the Bama baton-holding, overmade up debutante types are wiggling.
- Bonk ... missed extra point. Ask Pitt how big those are.
Alabama 9 ... Florida 0

Florida on its own 14
- As we speak, a phone call is being made to Minnesota to see if Percy Harvin has any eligibility left for the second half.
- Bama with two big mistakes in a row. A missed extra point and now a personal foul call.
- Oooops. Penalty is on Florida ...
- ... and Florida was moving and got away with an illegal motion. This isn't pretty.
- Tebow gets all day and comes up with a perfect throw. Bama has to hit Tebow and hit him hard.
- Bama is putting two guys on Riley Cooper and is daring Tebow to make something happen.
- The first gritty, gutty run from Tebow as he willed his way into a big tackle from Rolando McClain.
- Tebow connects with Brandon James for a first down. Tebow is locking on to his targets way too much.
- Now Bama is on its heels. It's a fight, and nothing is coming easy, but Tebow is making some nice plays.
- Kids, that's not going to work today. The Bama defensive front seven will let Tebow throw, but it's not going to let Tebow run without getting hit by three people.
- Tebow isn't selling the fake well enough on the dive play. Bama didn't even bother to try to bite and the pass play went nowhere.
- 3rd and 12. Tebow is all about 3rd and 3, not 3rd and long.
- Right there ... THAT'S the play that has to be run and rerun by NFL scouts over and over again when it comes to Tebow. He was under pressure, he had an open receiver across the middle, he didn't step into the throw, didn't recognize it in time, and he panicked and misfired. That play right there is an every-down pass play at the next level, and Tebow wasn't close.
- Caleb Sturgis from 48 ... Tiffin hit his.
- And Sturgis nails his.
Alabama 9 ... Florida 3

Alabama on its own 31
- The Florida defense is all over Ingram. Maybe the Gators have settled down.

First Quarter Score: Alabama 9 ... Florida 3

Second Quarter

- Nice, nice play by McElroy to make a play under pressure. He should've been sacked, escaped, and made a nice short throw to Mark Ingram.
- The Gator D has relaxed now. One stuffed play ruined the entire drive.
- Brandon James has the wall ...
- ... but P.J. Fitzgerald makes the stop. He's the punter. James would've scored.

Florida on its own 35
- Florida is calling a dumb game. It all but gave up on what it does best, power running on the inside, and is trying to do to many things wide. The Gators are playing into Bama's speed.
- AFLAC question ... What are the only two teams in the last 100 years to win three consensus national titles in a four year period. Oklahoma in the 50s is one. I'll guess a 1940s Notre Dame team.
- Tebow is guessing. His receivers aren't remotely open.
- An APB is being put out on TE Aaron Hernandez.
- Chas Henry is saving the Gators. That's his second straight brilliant punt.

Alabama on its own 10
- Colt McCoy has to lose a leg tonight to not win the Heisman after the way this game is going.
- This is McElroy's game. He's making nice throws on the move and is getting just enough time to wait for his receivers to get open. ...
- ... and then he almost gets picked off. He has to accept that some plays just aren't there and he'll need to throw it away.
- There's ten minutes left in the first half. Meyer has to be looking at the clock and hoping to get into the locker room as soon as possible. His team is playing like garbage, but Bama has a lot to do with that.
- 34-yard game. Janorris Jenkins makes an awful, undisciplined play and Marquis Maze takes a perfect strike 34 yards.
- Again, if you're Florida, get off the field and keep this manageable. Regroup.
- Interesting. Minnesota of the 1930s and Notre Dame in the 1940s for the AFLAC question.
- If Alabama ever runs the option, ignore McElroy.
- Julio Jones has been very, very quiet since the opening play.
- McElroy dances up the sidelines for a first down on a long third down. Alabama is making plays; Florida isn't.
- Bama overcomes a sack with a Florida-like dive play to get into field goal range. Bama isn't taking any chances. It hasn't had to.
- Tiffin is straight and true from 34 yards. Out of all the superstars in this game, he might have the longest NFL career.
Alabama 12 ... Florida 3

Florida on its own 30
- Did Verne just compare Brandon Spikes and Tim Tebow to Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan? I'm now in a bad mood just thinking about When Harry Met Sally.
- It's time for Florida to go with its offense. Bama provides a bad matchup for the Gator inside running game, but it's time to go with what brought them to the dance.
- Danielson: "Tebow looks so calm." WHAT?! He has receivers doing jumping jacks and he's missing them.
- And that's what I'm talking about. Tebow finally gets a chance to run up the middle and he blows open a big play.
- And there it is. "Let's GO!!! ... COME ON!!!"
- Uh oh ... we're about two minutes from our first "he's willing this team" comment.
- Bama freaks out about the run, Tebow has an open target, touchdown. David Nelson runs a perfect route, Tebow hits him, and Florida has decided to show up.
Alabama 12 ... Florida 10

Alabama on its own 29
- I'm sensing a big play about to come. The Tide has played it relatively safe and sane so far with some aggressive but smart plays, but Julio is way due for a home run.
- Or maybe from Mark Ingram. The offense still plays it safe on a short dump off to Ingram, and he takes it 69 yards to everyone's No. 2 spot on the Heisman ballot. Florida comes with a corner blitz and gets torched.
- You've got to let Ingram finish this off.
- Ooooooooooh. They're reviewing the play and they're not getting the right shot of Ingram's left foot appearing to hit out of bounds at about the 40, but the play stands.
- Ingram destroys Brandon Spikes for a touchdown. There's a man-on-man drill (that's moronic, by the way) that many old school teams use in preseason practices called the Oklahoma drill. Spikes just got blown up. He had Ingram one on one and Ingram won. Easily. That was a play that every NFL GM will see and go, "eeeehhhh, uh oh."
Alabama 19 ... Florida 10

Florida on its own 20
- Tebow will get credit for this, but Riley Cooper made this happen. Tebow hit an open receiver coming across, and Cooper came up with the big 59-yard play to get the offense moving. All Tebow did was make the right throw that he's supposed to make.
- Danielson: "Great read by Tebow." (Heavy sigh)
- We have a Hernandez sighting, and he dropped the ball at the goal line on what would've been a touchdown.
- To give credit, that was a fantastic throw into double coverage by Tebow.
- Caleb Sturgis for the field goal after Tebow was stuffed and a short play to Hernandez doesn't go anywhere.
Alabama 19 ... Florida 13

Alabama on its own 21
- Bama gets to the locker room not wanting to make a big mistake.
- Florida has played a miserable first half, it's been roughly as bad as it can be, and it's down six and gets the ball to start the second half. Alabama didn't come up with the kill.

First Half Score: Alabama 19 ... Florida 13

Third Quarter

- Tebow kneeling down and praying on the sidelines: "Please let me get a pony for Christmas ... please, please, please, please ..."

Florida on its own 30
- Alright, Florida. You weathered the storm. Now overcome the bad first half and those awful uniforms and play up to your capabilities.
- Florida comes out running Tebow. Establish the run. You have to see if you can do it.
- That dive play is doing absolutely nothing. Terrence Cody is destroying the Florida interior, including All-American and likely Rimington winner, Maurkice Pouncey.
- Yeesh. Brandon James is out for the game with a broken foot. Florida needs a spark from somewhere, and getting it on special teams would've been a must.
- Tebow connects with Riley Cooper but it's short of the first down. This wasn't the roar coming out of the locker room that it was supposed to be.

Alabama on its own 26
- To go nebulous, Alabama simply appears to have more tempo, more bounce, and more energy. Florida desperately, desperately needs a turnover turn around the momentum.
- Instead, welcome to Mark Ingram. He might not be having a Heisman night, but he's securing an All-America spot.
- The one reason everyone was picking Florida was because of the quarterback advantage. McElroy is outplaying Tebow and it's not even close. He got time, drove a brilliant throw to Marquis Maze, and the Tide is moving.
- Oh come on. Jermaine Cunningham tripped and fell on McElroy and got nailed with a roughing the passer penalty. Yeah, technically it has to be called, but that's a tad cheap.
- Touchdown. McElroy threw a wonderful pass to Colin Peek, laid it in over the shoulder, and got the touchdown. That's the dagger. I'll say it. Florida needs to come up with a touchdown on the ensuing drive or it's time to do something else.
- Meyer looks completely and totally frustrated. He knows his team is crashing.
Alabama 26 ... Florida 13

Florida on its own 26
- Florida needs to get moving. The drive starts with a nice first play getting nine yards on a midrange throw to David Nelson. Now get to the line and run another play. Get the tempo up. There's just no pacing to the Gator attack.
- Florida isn't even thinking about throwing the ball deep. Tebow is trying to run the ball and he's getting his chances for some runs, but Bama is closing. Quickly.
- Tebow is just guessing. He's not looking for his No. 2 target, he's forcing things that aren't there, and he and the offense are playing desperate. This is a poorly, poorly called game; the coaches aren't properly taking into account that the Bama secondary has a huge, huge advantage over the mediocre Gator receivers. The running backs and the running game are non-existent.
- Florida doesn't have it. With 7:36 to go in the third, it's time to come up with something special, fast.

Alabama on its own 12
- This is where the Bama offensive line took over last year, and this is where it has to end the game. Or at least get the Tide out of trouble.
- And there it goes. With a great job from the left side, Trent Richardson tears off a big run.
- Uhhhh, Julio. ... Danielson got it right. McElroy threw a great deep ball and Jones slowed down too much on the route.
- Has McElroy been touched other than when Cunningham fell on him?
- Finally, he gets popped, but Florida went offsides to do it.
- Gator fans have to be pulling their hair out. Florida's head didn't show up. It must be the uniforms.
- The announcers are pumping up Ingram, but all the backs are producing. This is almost the anti-Ingram Heisman argument. It's the line ... partly.
- Florida brings the blitz, McElroy reads it, first down. Florida's players are looking obviously dejected. Again, it's the uniforms.
- Alabama is pantsing this Gator team in every way. But they don't really have to since we can already see the moon.
- Florida had Bama on the 12 and did nothing to take advantage of it.
- McElroy makes his first big mistake. The O lined up in an illegal formation and he didn't catch it. When he did, he missed the snap and dropped the ball.
- But there's Ingram to make up for the mistake. To great runs, two tremendous cuts, and Mike Johnson and the offensive line destroys the Gators again with Ingram dominating.
- After last year's disastrous fourth quarter, Bama has its chance at redemption.

Third Quarter Score: Alabama 26 ... Florida 13

Fourth Quarter

- Tebow is yelling at the defense. If I'm a Gator defender, I calmly and coolly walk up to No. 15 and politely tell him to shut the (bleep) up and worry about his offense.
- McElroy comes up with a magical run when everything breaks down. Everything is working.
- It's Ingram time on the goal line. Find Spikes and walk right over him. He can't move.
- Terrence Cody flattens Will Hill and Ingram gets in. That was a national title type of drive.
- Go for two ... but it doesn't matter. Florida booked its hotel rooms for New Orleans in the first quarter.
- The play to Julio misfires
Alabama 32 ... Florida 13

Florida on its own 35
- Tebow throws a wormburner to Riley Cooper. The Jacksonville Jaguar camp will see plenty of that.
- If the moronic talent evaluators out there who believe Tebow is a top ten pick can't change their minds now ...
- And the Gator cheerleaders are still perky and prancy.
- Tebow wills his way to a first down with a five-yard run.
- That's not a fumble...sure it wasn't ...Tebow was hit from the backside by Lorenzo Washington, but appeared to get it away.
- Danielson was right; Tebow failed to step up in the pocket. He has SO many miles to go to become a pro passer.
- It looked like the arm was coming forward ... it's under review.
- The officials got it right. Incomplete.
- Aaron Hernandez bails out the offense with a nice run after the catch. Bama isn't worrying a lick about the deep ball.
- Tebow inexplicably pats the ball before getting the throw off, but he makes a nice throw to David Nelson.
- This is exactly the drive the Gators needed ...
- Ohhhhh, Tim. He stares down his receiver, doesn't move his head at all, and he throws a dart to Javier Arenas. He threw a miserable pass, it gets picked off, and now it's time to scout Texas.

Alabama on its own 20
- Danielson, finally, is criticizing Tebow. He's killing him for missing on the routine throw.
- And now come the shots of forlorn Gator fans looking like their dog just died.

Florida on its own 31
- There's still time. Go on another quick drive like the last one and there's still a shot to make this interesting.
- Tebow is getting the time, but things just aren't quite clicking.
- Finally, Tebow takes a shot down the field. Hernandez is the best tight end in America, but he's not going to win the Mackey; Pitt's Dorin Dickerson will. I tried to lobby for Hernandez but it didn't work.
- Alabama is getting to Tebow now. Florida keeps screwing up.
- Fourth down ... it's over. Really.
- And we get a shot of the Tebow parents. They're not wearing the dopey eye black.

Alabama on its own 16
- The Bama line will grind out the final few minutes.
- Trent Richardson is cramping up on the sidelines and is eating pickles. That beats Florida sucking (insert food product here). Humor. Ar, ar.
- Danielson didn't call him Upchuck, but he called him Rick Upchurch.
- 495 yards of total offense?
- Dominant. This was big enough that Florida should drop to No. 4 by the humans and thus ending hopes for the national title rematch.
- Tebow appears to be crying. At least put your helmet on.
- I blinked and I missed the post-game Meyer-Saban handshake.

Final Score: Alabama 32 ... Florida 13

Last edited:
"" There's a line from A Few Good Men that I'd like to use for the Florida all-white uniforms, but this is a family show. ""

Haha. I was kinda thinking that they reminded me of the old Buffalo Bills uniforms from back in the day when they wore white helmets. Not very attractive unis.

Back
Top Bottom