| CURRENT EVENTS Batten Down the Hatches TP

This is why I LOVE the Internet. You just have to watch.

Jim Cantore is in Charleston.
There's a guy named Micheals in Bluffton.
Stephanie something in Savannah.
Chris something up in Myrtle Beach.

Here's how "back assward" I am. I can identify with the old plantation owners. .

I can feel this, smell it, in the air. I've seen it before with the floods here a couple of years ago. But, this one is a little different.

I'm in Cane Bay right now. I can't hear any birds. When I drove over the reservoir earlier today it was glass. A 2+2 thing.

Here is also where the OCD come into play. A few hours ago I noticed I couldn't hear the owls. I jumped on my bike just to look/listen around. There are about six geese places that they congregate around here. None to be found.

If wildlife is hiding, and running, we're getting storm.

Neat website. They are saying 6-10 feet for Charleston. Ten feet covers over 80 percent of the peninsula.
Oh damn. I just pointed to that in our private message.

I'm in it. But, this is cool...these are my "fishing holes."

BTW, Laura's bar is off of Henry Brown. The boats are docked just on the upper right of the 'n' in Hanahan. Someone probably got shot on Remount.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 12.29.44 PM.png

@It Takes Eleven one of the issues with the models that come out about the weather here. There is something weird about how the reservoir affects the weather. It's akin to Moses parting the sea.

Two of my best friends live about three miles from me. On the other side of the reservoir. They get, and I'm not kidding here, twice as much rain as I do. The line of demarcation seems to be the reservoir.

Based on what I see on the radar, and in the sky, and the rain gauge...I'm going to get no more than a quarter of an inch per hour. But, for how long. .15" from 11-12 today.

@It Takes Eleven one of the issues with the models that come out about the weather here. There is something weird about how the reservoir affects the weather. It's akin to Moses parting the sea.

Two of my best friends live about three miles from me. On the other side of the reservoir. They get, and I'm not kidding here, twice as much rain as I do. The line of demarcation seems to be the reservoir.

Based on what I see on the radar, and in the sky, and the rain gauge...I'm going to get no more than a quarter of an inch per hour. But, for how long. .15" from 11-12 today.
At our lake, it's interesting watching the interaction between precip and the lake. We're on a peninsula 1,100-1,200 feet wide with 2/3-3/4 of a mile of water on either side. I have about a two-mile view downriver, roughly south, and I love watching a storm make its way upriver.

At our lake, it's interesting watching the interaction between precip and the lake. We're on a peninsula 1,100-1,200 feet wide with 2/3-3/4 of a mile of water on either side. I have about a two-mile view downriver, roughly south, and I love watching a storm make its way upriver.
One of these days I'm going to learn more. I've thought of asking one of the weather folks here in town to lunch one day just to pick their brain. I think it would be a fascinating conversation.

A friend of mine is out fishing right now on the reservoir. He's killing it this morning in the rain. There's nothing he can keep...gotta be over 19". But, here is the thing. He hasn't seen an eagle today. That's weird. He's fishing off of Eagle's Landing.

Seek higher ground. Astounding to hear on the news.

8" of rain coming in....

Y'all look at Walterboro...or HWY 17. Two inches or rain, per hour. I've got two inches in the last few hours...and I'm the lucky one.

We are that the "threshold." The ground can't soak in the water. We are usually between 6 to 10" of rain and the land can be absorbent. that.

@It Takes Eleven it takes 6 to 10" of rain to cross the "barrier" of flooding. The land has taken all it can take. Now, we are at a foot in some places. High tide this morning will reveal a lot.

Seek higher ground. Astounding to hear on the news.

8" of rain coming in....

Y'all look at Walterboro...or HWY 17. Two inches or rain, per hour. I've got two inches in the last few hours...and I'm the lucky one.

We are that the "threshold." The ground can't soak in the water. We are usually between 6 to 10" of rain and the land can be absorbent. that.

@It Takes Eleven it takes 6 to 10" of rain to cross the "barrier" of flooding. The land has taken all it can take. Now, we are at a foot in some places. High tide this morning will reveal a lot.
Yeah, some areas are getting it worse, but it's a long way from ending. This website shows North Charleston in the 8-10 inch range over the last 24 hours.

Seems like all my time down on the coast, 90% of the storms it was all about the rain... lone exception was Ivan... and more recently, Sally (but I wasn't down there for that one). Both of those tore plenty of shit up... and Ivan had a ridiculous storm surge. I think there's still water draining in Daphne from Hurricane Danny back in the late 90's. Didn't help that our home at the time was basically in a small valley, near the bottom of a hill, built upon underground streams.

@TerryP hope you’re doing good and you haven’t had to move to a boat
Ya got me thinking...'bout 20% of my life right now is in the Hobie.
Yeah, some areas are getting it worse, but it's a long way from ending. This website shows North Charleston in the 8-10 inch range over the last 24 hours.

This is the front yard for the lady that cuts my hair...this morning. And, you are right. It's not over.

I'm not flooded right now...but, my pumps are working their ass off.

1722967650910.png

It's crazy. I'm looking out the door to clear skies. A few clouds here and there. And, right now, in West Ashley and downtown they are closing roads. As in, the TV stations are saying "stay at home."

The guy that lives behind me dumped several hundred gallons this morning...from the pool cover.

Here's what's really weird right now. This comes with a HUGE caveat.

I'm not the guy that looks at the morning news for the weather. I'm not the guy that looks at the Weather Channel on my phone to see what's coming.

I am the guy that goes outside.

I haven't heard an owl in hours. No birds. But here is where it gets weird.

As much rain as we have had...I don't hear any frogs.

Back
Top Bottom