| PRO Barrett Jones

bama alum

Just for you, @PhillyGirl :)

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/...ng_for_st.html#lf-content=136280026:329728998

Barrett Jones might be the most decorated player in the history of Alabama football. In 2012, he became the third Alabama player to become a two-time consensus All-American. In 2011, he won the Outland Trophy as the nation's best interior lineman. In 2012, he won the Rimington Trophy as the nation's best center. In 2012, he also won the William C. Campbell Trophy, an award sometimes called the "Academic Heisman."

While Jones piled up individual honors, he helped Alabama pile up victories. Jones played right guard for the Crimson Tide's 2009 BCS national championshp team, left offensive tackle for the 2011 title team and center for the 2012 title team.

Then Jones went to the NFL as a fourth-round draft choice of the St. Louis Rams, and he hasn't been able to duplicate his collegiate success as a pro. One reason? He hasn't had a chance to because of injuries. But that has changed this year.

"I feel as good as I've felt in a long time,"Barrett told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I'll tell you, it's tough going up against our D-line when you're not 100 percent. But I've been able to work out all through the offseason, able to add some muscle and lean up a little bit. I don't know the exact numbers — big guys, we get a little anxious about those body-fat tests — but I feel great, and I'm really looking forward to competing at training camp."

In 2013, Jones had foot surgery because of an injury suffered at Alabama and played in only three games for the Rams. During training camp last year, Jones had back surgery, and he didn't return to the field until October. In two seasons, Jones has been on the field for 23 offensive snaps and 44 special-teams plays for the Rams.

This season, Jones has an opportunity to be St. Louis' starting center. The Rams released starter Scott Wells after his injury-marred 2014 season and have Jones, Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney competing for the spot. Barnes has been a backup for three seasons for the Rams. St. Louis drafted Rhaney in the seventh round last year, but he spent the whole season on injured reserve.

"I think it's pretty open right now, from everything I hear," Jones told reporters about the Rams' center competition. "And we're all working hard. We have three good candidates, from what I see. ... We've just been rotating ones, twos and threes all of us all across the board -- different days working with different groups. You've got to make the most of your opportunities for sure. That's one of the interesting things about the NFL. Two of your good buddies on the team, you're obviously competing for spots and jobs. It's just what you've got to do. You've got to go out there and work hard and compete."

The Rams are the only NFL team that does not hold a minicamp in the summer. St. Louis wraps up its offseason program with its final four OTAs this week.

"We're not going to make a decision real early," St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch of the center competition. "We'll let them all play. We're rotating them. They're all getting opportunities to work with (quarterback Nick Foles) so he's familiar, not only with the exchanges, but also the communication. We'll make that decision when somebody shows us he's earned the job."

After injuries limited his chances in his first two seasons, Jones knows 2015 could be a make-or-break year for him.

"It's definitely a big year," Jones told espn.com. "It's a performance-based league, obviously, and this is a year I have got to perform well. I know that, and I'm here working hard. At the same time, I try not to worry too much about the big picture. I think you can kind of get consumed with that thinking about, 'Oh no, doing the numbers, how many guys are going to make the team?' I don't think that's really healthy. I think you just need to come in and work really hard every day and just kind of focus on that. Hopefully, at the end of the day, the rest will take care of itself."

Back
Top Bottom