| NEWS ⚽ BAMA Soccer '23: Bama falls to UNC 1-0 in 2nd round of NCAA Tournament. Season over...

The Crimson Tide extended its home winning streak to 21 straight victories at the Alabama Soccer Stadium

Seventh-ranked Alabama soccer opened the 2023 campaign with a 2-0 victory over DePaul on Thursday night.

The Crimson Tide saw goals from Gianna Paul (4:57) and Itala Gemelli (43:26) in the win. With the victory, UA extended its home winning streak to an NCAA-leading 21 straight games.

From Head Coach Wes Hart

"It was a win, so we will certainly take it. I was pleased. We're still learning and trying to figure out who we are, but I thought we saw some good moments. It was awesome to get an early goal, and then to end the half with a goal. I thought it was great. I thought our best stretch of the game was early in the second half. We were all over. I think if we could have got a goal there, probably the floodgates would've opened. Credit to DePaul, their keeper made some big saves and they hung tough and made it hard for us. Overall, I'm pleased we got the win."

MACON, Ga. – A flurry of first-half goals lifted the No. 7 Alabama soccer team (6-0-4) to a 5-1 victory over Mercer (5-1-4) Sunday. With the win, the Tide concludes its non-conference schedule undefeated for the first time in program history.

UA saw goals from Gianna Paul (11th minute), Felicia Knox (15th minute), Leah Kunde (29th minute), Cameron Silva (38th minute) and Nadia Ramadan (45th minute) in the game. Mercer posted its lone goal off a shot from Lana Whitfield in the 34th minute.

From Head Coach Wes Hart

"I'm very pleased with our performance today. We approached this game exactly as I hoped we would. We came out with an aggressive mentality and put our stamp on the game. This game could easily have been a trap game, sandwiched between UGA and Arkansas."

The Game​

• Alabama tallied a season-best five goals in the opening 45 minutes of the game, its highest number of first half goals since the team scored six against Alabama State in 2014
  • Gianna Paul opened the scoring, firing a shot from outside the box into the upper left corner in the 11th minute
  • Four minutes later, Felicia Knox received a pass from Paul, before sending it through the crowd and into the back of the net for the game-winning goal
  • A give-and-go between Leah Kunde and Knox gave the Tide its third goal, as Kunde placed the ball near post in the 29th minute
  • Mercer scored its lone goal in the 34th minute as Larkin Thomason found Lana Whitfield on the back post
  • Cameron Silva and Nadia Ramadan scored their first collegiate goals in the final 10 minutes of the first half
  • Kunde threaded a ball through the six-yard box to Silva, who hit it into the net on her first touch in the 38th minute
  • With 38 seconds remaining in the half, Ramadan dribbled across the top of the box before bending the ball into the upper right corner with her left foot

Next​

• Alabama will face its first Southeastern Conference opponent on the road when it plays Arkansas on Thursday
  • The two teams will kick off at 6:30 p.m. CT on SEC Network+ in Fayetteville, Ark.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The No. 9 Alabama soccer team (6-1-4-, 0-1-1 SEC) suffered its first loss of the season Thursday, falling 5-0 to No. 11 Arkansas (6-2-1-, 2-0-0 SEC) on the road.

The Razorbacks saw a brace from Morgan White in addition to goals from Bea Franklin, Avery Wren and Anna Podojil in the game. Coralie Lallier made five saves for the Tide in goal as Gianna Paul led UA in shots with four.

From Head Coach Wes Hart

"We didn't compete tonight. That's the first time in a long time I can say that. Against Arkansas, you have to be able to match their intensity and weather their initial storm. They are so good at starting games fast and aggressive. They got an early goal and fed off that. They outcompeted us tonight and were better in every facet of the game."

The Game​

• Arkansas took a 3-0 lead in the opening 15 minutes of the game as Bea Franklin (3:46), Avery Wren (6:36) and Anna Podojil (14:49) scored for the Razorbacks
  • Kennedy Garcia had Alabama's best chance in the second half as her shot from eight-yards out was saved
  • Arkansas' White, however would add goals in the 53rd and 69th minute to put the game out of reach
  • Paul took four shots in the game while Itala Gemelli added three shots to account for nearly half of UA's attempts
  • Lallier made five saves in the game

Next​

• Alabama will return home to host Vanderbilt Sunday
  • The game will kick off 6 p.m. CT on SEC Network+

'Backs had great movement last night with the ball. I liked watching it in spite of it being against Bama. It's like they had lead in their shoes...watching it happen right in front of them.

these ladies are too good to play this reactionary then. either someone was too tired and the others got caught up in ball watching because of her sluggishness or...worse.

these ladies are too good to play this reactionary then. either someone was too tired and the others got caught up in ball watching because of her sluggishness or...worse.
Soccer coverage on TV sucks. I want the All-22 as well as a mic'd up 'backer. I was watching casually, as a caveat, but I didn't see anything on the back that looked like they were...there?

I wonder if Hart will stay with TF Lallier in goal or go back to the grad transfer he's also been playing? I don't even really know enough to say how much of that was on Lallier, other than pretty much everything was going in at first... I think she ended with 5 saves to make it even. That was some trail by fire shit though...

I'd think he'd have to go with experience during SEC play.

2d1e2179-5a5b-431a-bcff-c9e8b36addb6_text.gif
...It's everybody's net.

I wonder if Hart will stay with TF Lallier in goal or go back to the grad transfer he's also been playing? I don't even really know enough to say how much of that was on Lallier, other than pretty much everything was going in at first... I think she ended with 5 saves to make it even. That was some trail by fire shit though...
Damn, Brandon.

Do you realize you are following soccer?

That was some trail by fire shit though...
It was only high school, but I've been there and it's nerve racking.

For a minute, imagine diving at a ball with a lot of people kicking at it. '83, or '84 I got put in goal against Shades Valley...didn't have the balls to dive at the ball so I just dove at the players. WWE style. Yep. Got a card, got pulled, and didn't play in goal again. They didn't score.

It was only high school, but I've been there and it's nerve racking.

For a minute, imagine diving at a ball with a lot of people kicking at it. '83, or '84 I got put in goal against Shades Valley...didn't have the balls to dive at the ball so I just dove that the people. WWE style. Yep. Got a card, got pulled, and didn't play in goal again. They didn't score.

Ha, It was around that time (couple years later) I was playing with Vestavia Rec. Played for ~3 years... we used to destroy folks. One year, we had a head coach who didn't even have a kid on the team... he was from South America and spoke broken English. Games were over before the parents got their lawn chairs set up.

Ha, It was around that time (couple years later) I was playing with Vestavia Rec. Played for ~3 years... we used to destroy folks. One year, we had a head coach who didn't even have a kid on the team... he was from South America and spoke broken English. Games were over before the parents got their lawn chairs set up.
Coach Parrish. Came into Berachah in Huntsville in my 10th grade year. Same type: white as a bar of soap with hair that would make Auburn mad. We went to a 130x100 field and no one knew how to deal with it...

Here's the thing. I used to run around that damn field 4X before practice. It makes me tired thinking about that. Do that math...a few miles.

Back
Top Bottom