| FTBL Bama causes Urban’s depression.

Davestwin

Urban Meyers says he became addicted to Ambien while at Florida and that the loss in the SEC Championship game to Bama caused his depression. I’m a lifelong rabid Bama fan and I’ve been extremely upset after losses but I’ve never become clinically depressed following a loss. I have become almost criminally angry a time or two or three but thankfully not depressed. So Tebow cried and Urban sighed? There has to be more to the story but I doubt we’ll ever know as I don’t think he’s capable of being completely honest.

Ego. Losing bothers him, tremendously... which in itself isn't always a bad thing. Years ago, I was listening to some agents discuss his downfall at Florida. In nutshell, Meyer thought he had the perfect setup in Gainesville to dominate the SEC and build a lasting dynasty. He supposedly wasn’t even too worried about Saban and Alabama early on, but then it became clear to him (after the '09 SECCG and the beatdown in Tuscaloosa the following season) that as long as Saban was at UA, Florida would have to go through Bama, not vice versa. He (or his agent) backchanneled and learned that Saban was planning to stay at UA for the foreseeable future. It got into Meyer's head and spilled over to the field too. He eventually hit eject, and to save some face, blamed it on his health. When he faces adversity, he falls apart.

He should be completely cured from his Bama depression, since his meltdown in the NFL..

Beating Saban/Bama in the Sugar Bowl while at OSU served as a salve to his wounds... but even then, he almost allowed his ego to derail him... Up 7, with 2 mins to go, ball around midfield, 1st down, and Elliot had about 500 yards rushing already... Meyer changes the play before the snap because he sees single coverage on their WR. They throw deep, but Cyrus Jones plays it perfectly... almost intercepts it... but it saved Bama from having to burn a timeout... UA forced them to punt and got the ball back with about 90 seconds left, but ended up not scoring... Had they, and gone on to win, Urban may not have made it off the field without a stretcher.

I don't like the guy at all but I do understand depression and anxiety very well. I wish him well in that area of his life. It is a horrible feeling when you go through this and its very real. You feel like you are on an island all alone.
I understand depression all too well and I didn’t intend to make light of the illnesses. In hindsight I should have been more clear that I wasn’t being dismissive about depression … I was being dismissive of Urban and his claims. Depression absolutely sucks and unless you’ve had it you can’t truly understand it. I lost my oldest friend to it 5 years ago. He had so much to live for … successful business owner, plenty of money, a great family, lots of friends, etc. but that awful disease ate away at him until he took his own life. So, again, I’m sorry for my poor choice of words.

I don't like the guy at all but I do understand depression and anxiety very well.

I understand depression all too well and I didn’t intend to make light of the illnesses.
I'm entertaining the idea that it's Urban making light of the illness.

I think back to when he quit. There were several conversations here since then talking about Meyer displaying signs of mental illness.

Based purely on his track record I can't help but think he's using depression/addiction as a ploy: he's just seeking empathy and sympathy.

Well he can look at his way, the two times he did beat Bama and Coach Saban. He won the 2008 BCS and 2014 playoff Championship. So those two games depress me!

I understand depression all too well and I didn’t intend to make light of the illnesses. In hindsight I should have been more clear that I wasn’t being dismissive about depression … I was being dismissive of Urban and his claims. Depression absolutely sucks and unless you’ve had it you can’t truly understand it. I lost my oldest friend to it 5 years ago. He had so much to live for … successful business owner, plenty of money, a great family, lots of friends, etc. but that awful disease ate away at him until he took his own life. So, again, I’m sorry for my poor choice of words.

I did not take it that you were making fun of anyone with depression. We are good!

I did not take it that you were making fun of anyone with depression. We are good!
Sometimes depression is an overused term..I’ve seen people depressed and the horrible aftermath…some people are just lazy, butt hurt and/or unmotivated and claim depression..Sadly, there is very little help for either…

I finished the series last night. As I watched I was struck by the difference between Meyer and Saban. Meyer was a perfectionist but he was stressed over the results and he struggled to leave things in the past and move forward. For example, he said that, in 2008, even though they were winning he was still stressing and angry because they weren't winning enough. He seemed to be looking back at what was and letting that define his success. Saban is also a perfectionist. But he stresses that it's not about the results. It's about the individual play. It's about the effort to do it right on each play. And yes Saban loses his mind when someone screws up. But then he moves on. He puts it behind him and focuses on the moment. He just seems to be more mentally stable than Meyer, and he seems to have a better perspective. That's why he's still on top of his game and he's not slowing down.

I finished the series last night. As I watched I was struck by the difference between Meyer and Saban. Meyer was a perfectionist but he was stressed over the results and he struggled to leave things in the past and move forward. For example, he said that, in 2008, even though they were winning he was still stressing and angry because they weren't winning enough. He seemed to be looking back at what was and letting that define his success. Saban is also a perfectionist. But he stresses that it's not about the results. It's about the individual play. It's about the effort to do it right on each play. And yes Saban loses his mind when someone screws up. But then he moves on. He puts it behind him and focuses on the moment. He just seems to be more mentally stable than Meyer, and he seems to have a better perspective. That's why he's still on top of his game and he's not slowing down.

Thanks for that overview. I'm not planning to watch it, but you draw a key distinction between the two, and it can be applied in our daily lives.

Are we striving for a singular result - one which will leave us demoralized if we fall short or empty when it's achieved - or are we simply working to be better so we can be better?

Thanks for that overview. I'm not planning to watch it, but you draw a key distinction between the two, and it can be applied in our daily lives.

Are we striving for a singular result - one which will leave us demoralized if we fall short or empty when it's achieved - or are we simply working to be better so we can be better?
Yep one focusses on being the best version of your self that you can be with the limitations you have. I can be as good as I can be by putting in the work and paying attention to details but I will never run a 4.3 40. At my age probaly not a 6.3 40 either :). This is really all we can control. The other is not something you can control and it is not productive.

Back
Top Bottom