| FTBL Bama a 49-point favorite!

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Vegas releases Week 5 SEC betting lines
I made Alabama a 42-point favorite over Louisiana-Lafayette before the season, and a 49-point favorite when I projected the lines early Sunday morning.

The line opened Alabama -53.5. In other words, books are falling just short of betting for money to oppose the Tide in this game.

They got it fast, as the line got hammered down to 49 immediately.

Alabama would need to score at least 50 points to cover, even if it shut out the Ragin' Cajuns. Nick Saban's team is capable of doing that. But, with the meat of the SEC schedule upcoming, will it want to?

Week 5 lines

Louisiana-Lafayette at Alabama (-49), noon ET
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M (-20), noon ET
Tennessee at Georgia (off), 3:30 p.m. ET
Southern Miss at Auburn (-30.5), 4 p.m. ET
Florida at Mississippi State (-8.5), 6 p.m. ET
South Carolina (-2) at Kentucky, 7:30 p.m. ET
Ole Miss at LSU (-14), 9 p.m. ET

Based on BetOnline lines as of 4:30 p.m. ET Sunday

Week 5 SEC gambling notes

-Golden Nugget in Las Vegas released hypothetical national championship matchup spreads this week. It listed Alabama as a 10.5-point favorite over Georgia. It gives Ohio State (+9.5) the best chance of beating Alabama.

-Texas A&M edged Alabama against the spread, losing 45-23 as a 24.5-point underdog, to hand Alabama its first ATS loss of the season. The Aggies (4-0 ATS) are the only SEC team to cover every game so far.

-Arkansas (0-4 ATS) is the only SEC team that has not covered a spread this season. I've moved the Razorbacks from my No. 56 preseason to No. 83.

-Texas A&M and Arkansas play each other. Bettors will have to decide to go with the trend or hope the market has overcorrected.

-I rank Alabama No. 1 and Louisiana-Lafayette No. 124 of 130. The betting market finally adjusted high enough for Alabama this week, as the Tide reached -27 vs. Texas A&M before finally drawing sharp money that hammered the line back to -24.5. Bama now is overvalued in the market. But anyone want to try sleeping at night betting against the Tide in this one?

-LSU opened as a 13-point favorite over Ole Miss at South Point in Las Vegas in May. Ed Orgeron is 8-1 ATS against SEC teams since becoming head coach, not interim coach, before last season.

-Florida coach Dan Mullen returns to Starkville for the first time after coaching Mississippi State for 9 years. He was 9-5 ATS as a road underdog in the last 5 years, and this is his first road underdog spot at Florida.

-Mississippi State lost by 21 last week at Kentucky as a 10-point favorite. But the Bulldogs are still 3-1 ATS. Can new head coach Joe Moorhead pull his team together after a disastrous performance Saturday?

-Is Kentucky still underrated? After beating Florida and Mississippi State outright as double-digit underdogs, the Wildcats opened pick'em vs. South Carolina. Bettors immediately hit the Gamecocks, who are now a 2-point road favorite.

-Tennessee State at Vanderbilt (4 p.m. ET) does not have a posted line. FBS vs. FCS games usually are posted on Saturdays. Missouri has a bye week.

Raging Cajuns.....maybe best name in CF....
Use to be USL....University of Southwestern LA.......
If I remember...their basketball team got the NCAAs "death penalty" for like a zillion infractions....70s........
Laffette is cool place...... Ray Perkins kinda made some deal to play a bunch of "freebie. In Ttown for one game at La Laffette....
La Laffette wanted to be called "University of Louisiana or Louisiana " and LSU fought it....( who knows why)... but it has finally happened... Alabama plays Louisiana this weekend..
Crimson Tide vs Ragin Cajuns.... sounds cool..
Why i know this is a mystery to me

If I remember...their basketball team got the NCAAs "death penalty" for like a zillion infractions....70s........
Laffette is cool place...... Ray Perkins kinda made some deal to play a bunch of "freebie. In Ttown for one game at La Laffette....
La Laffette wanted to be called "University of Louisiana or Louisiana " and LSU fought it....( who knows why)... but it has finally happened... Alabama plays Louisiana this weekend..

Remember Andrew Toney, the Ragin' Cajun from Glenn high school and 76er fame? I truly regretted not being able to get him to Tuscaloosa.

Florida coach Dan Mullen returns to Starkville for the first time after coaching Mississippi State for 9 years. He was 9-5 ATS as a road underdog in the last 5 years, and this is his first road underdog spot at Florida.

-Mississippi State lost by 21 last week at Kentucky as a 10-point favorite. But the Bulldogs are still 3-1 ATS. Can new head coach Joe Moorhead pull his team together after a disastrous performance Saturday?

Look for State to open a can this week on UF. They really need to blow this one out of the water with the former coach coming back to StrakVegas.

ULL ranks 66th in total offense at 415 yards a game.
112th in defense at 470 yards a game.
Likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 55-7 or somewhere close. Tua plays much like he did the first 3 weeks, out after 1 drive of 3rd quarter.

Remember Andrew Toney, the Ragin' Cajun from Glenn high school and 76er fame? I truly regretted not being able to get him to Tuscaloosa.

We opened up with Glenn in 1965 at home. They weren't too good and we beat them by 14 or so. Anthony Murray(Bama BB great) and Bobby Humphrey were grads of Glenn.....I believe....

Last edited:
We opened up with Glenn in 1965 at home. They weren't to good and we beat them by 14 or so. Anthony Murray(Bama BB great) and Bobby Humphrey were grads of Glenn.....I believe....

You may have missed the best of Glenn. As you probably know the Hawks got really good in basketball in the 70s. Yeah, Murray won a state title with Glenn before heading to the Capstone. I still love CM Newton's bunch with so many great players of that era.

We opened up with Glenn in 1965 at home. They weren't to good and we beat them by 14 or so. Anthony Murray(Bama BB great) and Bobby Humphrey were grads of Glenn.....I believe....

You may have missed the best of Glenn. As you probably know the Hawks got really good in basketball in the 70s. Yeah, Murray won a state title with Glenn before heading to the Capstone. I still love CM Newton's bunch with so many great players of that era.

I am so old that I was at a Bama BB game where they brought out Leon Douglas (halftime) for an intro and the crowd got loud for the big guy.

I am so old that I was at a Bama BB game where they brought out Leon Douglas (halftime) for an intro and the crowd got loud for the big guy.

Back in the day, I use to catch a few of Bama's games being replayed on PBS. Believe me, back then you were happy to see anything Crimson and White whenever you could. Big Leon, Murray, TR Dunn, Ricky Brown, Mule King, a bad azz bunch that would take your lunch money.

Back
Top Bottom