| FTBL Auburn’s new football coach is falling behind already

18Champs

If he hadn’t figured it out already, then it should be obvious to him after Wednesday’s National Signing Day. Bryan Harsin, the new football coach at Auburn, has one of the most difficult jobs in America.

This pandemic, he says, is only making it that much more challenging.

A good day for the former Boise State coach, at this point, would be getting to know seven Alabama high school coaches on the Zoom app. Over in Tuscaloosa, Nick Saban just signed seven five-stars amid a recruiting class that’s apparently rated higher than the ribs at Archibald’s. (Get yours now for the Super Bowl while you can.)

This isn’t just about Saban vs. Harsin, though.

Harsin was hired to, in his words, consistently compete for SEC and national championships, but in his first competition the Tigers finished 30th in recruiting. That’s obviously terrible for a program geographically located in the South’s golden triangle of recruiting and is so extravagantly wealthy that it had the money to buy out Gus Malzahn during the worst year financially for many people since the Great Depression.

They used to call Auburn Running Back U, but as of Thursday this signing class of 2021 didn’t have a single one. That’s troubling and has to change.

It’s not the most worrisome thing, though.

What’s downright got me scared is that Auburn lost out to Kentucky for a linebacker from Georgia, but this Auburn class only features one linebacker in the entire group. And he’s a JUCO player.

I’m sure that Joko Willis of Independence Community College (LaGrange, Ga., native) is going to be excellent, but this world where Auburn loses linebackers to Kentucky isn’t one I want to know. Auburn should be able to pick and choose from the best defenders in Georgia, Alabama and Florida every year.

I’m not saying that’s the standard Harsin needs to establish. I’m saying that even in its worst year, with Happy Gilmore coaching the team and Daffy Duck as the defensive coordinator, Auburn should be able to fall out of bed half-drunk and sign one of the best collections of defenders in the country.

Other columnists who have to worry about keeping people happy can list the reasons Harsin should get a pass for this recruiting class. That’s not my job because that’s ignoring the truth. Blame it on Malzahn. Blame it on Kevin Steele. Blame in on the new recruiting calendar. Whatever. None of that matters

What matters is Harsin was handpicked by a search committee that featured none other than Bo Jackson to take Auburn to a place it has never known, and suddenly it’s pretty much there: dead last in the SEC West. Here are the national recruiting rankings of the toughest division in American sports:

(1) Alabama
(4) LSU
(7) Texas A&M
(18) Ole Miss
(24) Arkansas
(25) Mississippi State
(30) Auburn

Auburn signed six players on Wednesday to go along with the 11 that Malzahn signed in December. People are trying to call that a victory for Harsin. That’s not the truth. That’s taking pity on a wounded gazelle on the Serengeti.

And don’t tell me there are no gazelles on the Serengeti because I don’t care.

You worried about Auburn now? Nah? All is well on The Plains because Harsin is getting a pass?

Don’t believe it.

There are no passes in the SEC West, and especially not for Auburn after it fired Malzahn for going 6-4 in the most difficult regular season of college football in the history of the sport. Do y’all realize that Malzahn won more than five SEC games just three times in his entire run with Auburn and one of those was his very first?

And now y’all want to give Harsin a pass. Soft.

Maybe there are new rules for Harsin. Maybe he’s not going to be held up to the same scrutiny as Malzahn. That’s fine. Someone needs to tell me that, though, because I didn’t get that email from fans when he was hired.

Harsin was a great coach in Idaho, and Auburn brought him in to modernize the program and make it more professional (and less down home). That’s a good idea, but recruiting is still the driving engine of success in the SEC last time I checked.

Lying to the man does him no favors. Never mind Alabama, Georgia and LSU, Harsin is losing ground in the SEC West to Texas A&M and now Ole Miss. Meanwhile, he can’t even go around to all the high schools and meet their coaches in person.

I feel for the guy, but no one is going to care about that in October.

Goodman wrote this three days ago and looking around I see a lot of Auburn fans steamed. Part of me knows Harsin is in over his head right now and part of me knows he really didn't get a fair shot to get "his class" in the door.

Don't get me wrong. If Auburn made douchebags competitively, I would be there cheering against them with a Summers Eve shirt on wearing my Massengil Jacket. Having said that, I disagree with the writer. I do think Harsin gets a pass. Guy was hired late and was from the other side of the country. Had AU hired the likes of Muschamp, who has a connection within the southeast and established relationships, yada,yada,yada, then I would say I agree with no pass.

We won't know much about this coach until next season. I don't look for much out of next years AU team. In all honesty, I think them making a bowl will be a realistic goal. We will see what this guy is made of when he starts landing recruits next year.

Don't get me wrong. If Auburn made douchebags competitively, I would be there cheering against them with a Summers Eve shirt on wearing my Massengil Jacket. Having said that, I disagree with the writer. I do think Harsin gets a pass. Guy was hired late and was from the other side of the country. Had AU hired the likes of Muschamp, who has a connection within the southeast and established relationships, yada,yada,yada, then I would say I agree with no pass.

We won't know much about this coach until next season. I don't look for much out of next years AU team. In all honesty, I think them making a bowl will be a realistic goal. We will see what this guy is made of when he starts landing recruits next year.
I guess he might need a pass.......
Usually alot of excitement for a program when they bring in a new HC n staff...

what happened....this hire didnt creat a buzz...

along-with Tennessee... will be interesting to watch....

"Auburn should be able to pick and choose from the best defenders in Georgia, Alabama and Florida every year. "

He lost me with that quote. Really does he know who the Barn is? They have not done this for years. Good players sure but pick and choose not happening with Saban around.

"Auburn should be able to pick and choose from the best defenders in Georgia, Alabama and Florida every year. "

He lost me with that quote. Really does he know who the Barn is? They have not done this for years. Good players sure but pick and choose not happening with Saban around.

Saban, Mullan, orSmart...
AUs recruiting base has shrunk ....
And new HC has indicated he-is going to recruit from out west....
As if AU is a name western kids will recognize....

And new HC has indicated he-is going to recruit from out west..

I know Harsin has spent time in Texas, but played, and obviously coached at Boise. I wonder what he means by out west.

Texas has the athletes you need to compete in the SEC, and plenty to choose from. You have to go all the way to California to hit another hot bed of high school talent. He may have some in-roads to the talent out west, but overall, I think you need stick to the south, especially with the product he is selling, but what do I know.

Saban, Mullan, orSmart...
AUs recruiting base has shrunk ...
Mullen doesn't belong in a conversation about a SEC coach "picking and choosing" talent in the southeast. Mullen only signed five of the top fifty in Florida. That's hardly competition for Auburn in the southeast. While that's good enough for the 13th ranked class nationally take a closer look.

A little over two-thirds of his class is from the state of Florida; 14 I think. Only five of the 14 are top 50 Florida guys?

Mullen doesn't belong in a conversation about a SEC coach "picking and choosing" talent in the southeast. Mullen only signed five of the top fifty in Florida. That's hardly competition for Auburn in the southeast. While that's good enough for the 13th ranked class nationally take a closer look.

A little over two-thirds of his class is from the state of Florida; 14 I think. Only five of the 14 are top 50 Florida guys?

all agree....but A piece iswhat AU would get....and the pool will shrink ....
Mullen will prove that.... and if FSU/Miami can regain some/ more momentum... and All the groups of 5 teams will take a small bite too...
There are a lot of CF programs in Florida.....

i think Mullen will build a nice program and do better in recruiting....

Harsin will fail at AU

(since some folks still think he is grand) Cousin (the tool) Eddie will fail at UF

Goodman is a horrible journalist and is the epitome of everything wrong with sports writers

why do you think Mullen aka Cousin Eddy ( thats so funny...looks just likehim)...
I think he is pretty good ..... got MSU to a #1 ranking? Thats near impossible...

his-demeanor is obnoxious....Florida fans like it.... Most non-bama fans feel same about Saban

why do you think Mullen aka Cousin Eddy ( thats so funny...looks just likehim)...
I think he is pretty good ..... got MSU to a #1 ranking? Thats near impossible...

his-demeanor is obnoxious....Florida fans like it.... Most non-bama fans feel same about Saban

as I stated in another thread I watched him pretty closely over here in the Sip for several years. He is inconsistent in almost every facet. Coaching, discipline, personality etc. as time goes on it wears thin on players, recruits, fans and boosters

Many in starkvegas were done with him 3 years before he left

As far as that #1 ranking it was a paper tiger

Here are the ones that he may have to win at least two of the four:
@LSU 10-2
UGA 10-9
@ Tex. A&M 11-6
Bama 11-27
I don't think he will even UGA and Bama being at Hair Jordan? This year that fan base will not be all that. Little Bo run into a brick wall.
Here on that I don't think those kitty has every played that Penn. St @ Beaver Stadium

as I stated in another thread I watched him pretty closely over here in the Sip for several years. He is inconsistent in almost every facet. Coaching, discipline, personality etc. as time goes on it wears thin on players, recruits, fans and boosters

Many in starkvegas were done with him 3 years before he left

As far as that #1 ranking it was a paper tiger
I got ya...if he wins another secw title....and keeps unseating uga....he will get a pass...
Wasalways surprised Tennessee didnt go all in on him......maybe what you say is reason?

I got ya...if he wins another secw title....and keeps unseating uga....he will get a pass...
Wasalways surprised Tennessee didnt go all in on him......maybe what you say is reason?

Honestly I think 10rc thought they were too good for Eddie and Eddie thought he was too good for them

Also I will say Mullen has been smart enough to pick his situations. He could have gone to PSU easily but he has shied away from difficult programs and situations.

How long will his grace period be? I'm sure everyone in orange and blue has hopes for 2021 but not great expectations. Does he need to produce in 2022? How much? 2023? Will they give him until 2024?

Back
Top Bottom