| FTBL AU still trying to dodge the NCAA bullet?

Gundlach suggests federal funding for universities should be tied to a maximum of 20 hours each week that students are permitted to devote to athletics.

That seems to me to be right about where we are now, isn't it?

I'm thinking along these lines...

2.5 hours a day for practice, 5 days a week.

Figure 3 hours for a game.

1 hour a day working out?

Heck, doesn't seem like that solid of an idea to me. Sounds status quo.

You know the limits (time) on practice in the season w/o looking them up?

TerryP said:
Gundlach suggests federal funding for universities should be tied to a maximum of 20 hours each week that students are permitted to devote to athletics.

That seems to me to be right about where we are now, isn't it?

I'm thinking along these lines...

2.5 hours a day for practice, 5 days a week.

Figure 3 hours for a game.

1 hour a day working out?

Heck, doesn't seem like that solid of an idea to me. Sounds status quo.

You know the limits (time) on practice in the season w/o looking them up?

2.5 hours a day doesn't even scratch the surface.

There is alot more involved with practice, film, lifting, recovery, travel, etc.

I would imagine a least 4hrs a day during the week. Then, include games.....3 hours (travel is not included). So, your looking at at least 23 hours if the game is near by or at home. On top of that, most players are at the field house EVERYDAY due to injuries and treatment. I played ball at a small school for two years, it was like working a 40 hour a week job.

I think the rule is 20 or 25 hours a week of "Official Athletic Devotion", but, give me a break. Players for any team in any sport spend much more time than 20 hours a week preparing and such.

I think theywill skate since non athletes were also taking these courses, but that story has been,and continues to be, a major embarassment to those affiliated with AU who care about academics.

I doubt that the government has any interest in tying college funding to a restriction on the times student athletes devote to their sport.

Back
Top Bottom