| FTBL Art Briles to make lateral move? Baylor fans...

I

imported_porkchop

..are saying he'll be announced soon. There's a 7 page thread on this at Baylorfans.com. Apparently this seems like a done deal as Baylor fans (for and against) seem to have come to grips with it and are trying to line up in support for their new coach.

Lateral move IMHO. Briles coaches at Houston and that is a pretty undesirable job, but he could probably do better than Baylor. Maybe Briles figures this gets him into a real conference and from there anything can happen?

porkchop said:
..are saying he'll be announced soon. There's a 7 page thread on this at Baylorfans.com. Apparently this seems like a done deal as Baylor fans (for and against) seem to have come to grips with it and are trying to line up in support for their new coach.

Lateral move IMHO. Briles coaches at Houston and that is a pretty undesirable job, but he could probably do better than Baylor. Maybe Briles figures this gets him into a real conference and from there anything can happen?

I think Baylor has a bigger checkbook...at least they are more willing to put zeros on the end of the dollar figure.

porkchop said:
What are you thinking B_F? Who's the onethey'll try and snag?

Briles is a fall back position from Nutt. My understanding is that he was their man until Sexton got him the Ole Miss job. Nutt did not want to leave the SEC but he was tired of the crap in Fayettenam. He had two bad years, but other than that he has been a solid coach. They have forgotten the Jack Crowe / Danny Ford years. It will be hard for them to move up. They remember the great records of the Hatfield era, but fail to notice the weakness of the SWC and their horrible schedule. The SEC is much tougher...they remember a 9 win season under hatfield but forget the 50 point shelling by Miami.

Baylor is probably the best paying door mat job in the nation...Nutt would have been the second SEC coach they hired away.

I really have not followed Baylor's coaching search. There has been some mention of Shula, but I doubt that will happen. To be honest, I don't think Mike would take it...he makes too much money as an assistant with our supplemental check.

Tubbs is flirting with Arkansas now. Tamu got tired of him playing games and pulled the trigger on someone else. I doubt Tuberville will go to Arkansas, but he is as bad right now as Fran was when he was here. I wonder how much of it the Auburn administration will take? They may force his hand and if that happens it will get really interesting.

I think looking at what Kansas and Missouri did this season makes the Baylor job very appealing. Even if you are at a school that has traditionally posted sub-.500 records, it’s possible to win ten games one season in the Big 12 and compete for a national title. That’s not true for a Conference USA team that may go undefeated and still not have a shot. That’s why Baylor is a better job.

I’m not sure why Baylor wants Briles though. To me, what Briles has done at Houston is almost a carbon copy of what Guy Morris did at Kentucky. It appears to me they are just hiring the same coach all over again. I thought Baylor would have went for an assistant or lower division guy this time. Overpay for another offensive minded guy who led a traditional underachiever to a couple of seven win seasons? Ok, make that mistake once, but TWICE???

Big_Fan said:
porkchop said:
What are you thinking B_F? Who's the onethey'll try and snag?

Briles is a fall back position from Nutt. My understanding is that he was their man until Sexton got him the Ole Miss job. Nutt did not want to leave the SEC but he was tired of the crap in Fayettenam. He had two bad years, but other than that he has been a solid coach. They have forgotten the Jack Crowe / Danny Ford years. It will be hard for them to move up. They remember the great records of the Hatfield era, but fail to notice the weakness of the SWC and their horrible schedule. The SEC is much tougher...they remember a 9 win season under hatfield but forget the 50 point shelling by Miami.

Baylor is probably the best paying door mat job in the nation...Nutt would have been the second SEC coach they hired away.

I really have not followed Baylor's coaching search. There has been some mention of Shula, but I doubt that will happen. To be honest, I don't think Mike would take it...he makes too much money as an assistant with our supplemental check.

Tubbs is flirting with Arkansas now. Tamu got tired of him playing games and pulled the trigger on someone else. I doubt Tuberville will go to Arkansas, but he is as bad right now as Fran was when he was here. I wonder how much of it the Auburn administration will take? They may force his hand and if that happens it will get really interesting.

Interestingly I heard the same thing the other day. The word was that Ole Miss jumped on it with Sexton and did everything they could to get the Nutt deal done before Houston (the school :wink: ) could counter with a 2.1 mill offer. Sometimes timing is everything.

RollTideRandy said:
I think looking at what Kansas and Missouri did this season makes the Baylor job very appealing. Even if you are at a school that has traditionally posted sub-.500 records, it’s possible to win ten games one season in the Big 12 and compete for a national title. That’s not true for a Conference USA team that may go undefeated and still not have a shot. That’s why Baylor is a better job.

I’m not sure why Baylor wants Briles though. To me, what Briles has done at Houston is almost a carbon copy of what Guy Morris did at Kentucky. It appears to me they are just hiring the same coach all over again. I thought Baylor would have went for an assistant or lower division guy this time. Overpay for another offensive minded guy who led a traditional underachiever to a couple of seven win seasons? Ok, make that mistake once, but TWICE???

They have to make it that long in the Big 12 though. Missouri was a doormat that hired a great coach in Pinkel...we could have had him instead of Fran. He was my first choice but a lot of people were dead set against him. He won a lot of games at Toledo and his win against Penn State in 2000 sent them into a slide that took a couple of years to recover from. He also knocked off a 9-3 Tiller coached Purdue team while at Toledo.

Pinkel has systematically built a powerhouse team at Mizzou. He has had a couple of sub .500 seasons, but Mizzou was a 3-8 team for the better part of 20 years before he arrived.

I am glad that we have Saban, but Pinkel is a great coach. In order for someone to duplicate that at Baylor, they will need the support of the administration for longer than 3 or 4 seasons (it took Pinkel 6), and they will have to be a great coach...Missouri has a monopoly on talent in their state...Baylor is in a state loaded with talent but they have to fight with Rice, TCU, and SMU for the Texas/Tamu/OU/LSU scraps.

Back
Top Bottom