| FTBL Arkansas announces new AD today.

I'm sure some of our resident Hogs will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that most of them feel it was past time for Broyles to retire. He was sort of like Darrel Waltrip was when he was driving the last 10 years of his career. Everybody loved him, but good lawd you need to get off the track.

I think that is how most folks at Arky feel towards Broyles. Thanks for what you have done, now sit down.

rammerjammer said:
I'm sure some of our resident Hogs will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that most of them feel it was past time for Broyles to retire. He was sort of like Darrel Waltrip was when he was driving the last 10 years of his career. Everybody loved him, but good lawd you need to get off the track.

I think that is how most folks at Arky feel towards Broyles. Thanks for what you have done, now sit down.

Happy B'day Rammer! :D

I'm probably not the best person to reply to this, but Frank did a good job, and now it's time for him to go. I'm sick of the whole mess, and I hope that by getting a new AD, we will get back on track.

Now, what do we do about Nutt?.... :?

No one can deny the impact that Frank Broyles had on Arkansas athletics, but after 50 years it is time for him to enjoy life with his new wife. As a Razorback fan, I will always give props to Coach Broyles whenever I walk into Razorback Stadium, Bud Walton Arena, Baum Stadium, or even drive up beautiful I-540 to Fayetteville. None of these things would be what they are without the tireless work of Broyles. I think that the last five years have probably done more damage to his legacy than good, but in a few years I'm sure that we will remember the man for what he did during the majority of his tenure and not just the last few.

On Frank Broyles....

The Good....

Number One....an athletic program that pays for itself....NO STATE FUNDS OR STUDENT FEES

The facilities, hiring Nolan Richardson (first black coach in the south), winning a share of the 1964 NC in football (our bama friends might disagree) but they changed the rule the next year and the funny thing is...we would have won it in 1965 if the rule hadn't been changed. We got screwed two times there.

Most important in mind....all the coaches that he produced...

Broyles Assistant Coaches who became head coaches have won:

15% of All Super Bowls
5 College National Championships
More Than 40 Conference Titles
Over 2000 Victories

Broyles assistant coaches & their Head coaching Jobs:

Joe Gibbs - Washington Redskins
Hayden Fry - Iowa, SMU, N. Texas
Johnny Majors - Pittsburgh, Tennessee
Barry Switzer - Oklahoma, dallas cowboys
Jimmy Johnson - Miami, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Oklahoma St,
Jackie Sherrill - Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, Mississippi St, Washington St
Raymond Berry - New England Patriots
Doug DIckey - Florida, Tennessee
Pepper Rogers - UCLA, Georgia Tech, Kansas
Hootie Ingram - Clemson
Bo Rein - LSU, North Carolina State
Jim Mackenzie - Oklahoma
Jerry Claiborne - maryland, Kentucky
Jim Carlen - South Carolina, Texas Tech
Pat Jones - Oklahoma State
Bill Lewis - Georgia Tech, East Carolina, Wyoming
Richard Williamson - Tampa Bay, Memphis State
Richard Bell - South Carolina
Bill Pace - Vanderbilt
Charley Coffey - Virginia Tech
Harold Horton - Central Arkansas
Ken Turner - henderson State
Ken Stephens - Central Arkansas, lamar
Jesse Branch - Southwest Missouri St, Henderson St
Fred Akers* - Texas, Purdue, Wyoming
Ken Hatfield* - Arkansas, Clemson, Air Force, Rice
Houston Nutt* - Arkansas, Boise St, Murray St
*Players under Broyles, not assistants

This list is mind boggling if you think about it.

The Bad....

Running off Holtz, Hatfield, and meddling with the program too much. Making the Little Rock donors mad by moving games back to Fayetteville. It needed to be done though.

The Ugly....

What just took place within the last year.

Actually, that's not mind boggling at all. I could compile a list with Bama connections that would rival, if not beat that.

I've always been impressed with Broyles. From a financial standpoint, he's been one of the best in the SEC for years.

Back
Top Bottom