| FTBL Arenas on offense

Hi ACL, welcome aboard. :)

I'm not sure why Arenas hasn't played WR either, other than the fact we have a pretty good number of solid ones already. It might be tough for him to break into the rotation. He's probably too small to play running back for anything other than a few gadget plays a game.

Right now we need the depth on defense and that's where they have him. If someone goes down we might be seeing more of Arenas.

ACL11190 said:
I have been trying to figure out why they dont atleast give him a shot as a reciever or a halfback....its obvious hes a great playmaker...

Down the road, they might do that, but right now he is more needed from a depth standpoint at defensive back.

ACL11190 said:
i never noticed that arenas caught a td in the arkansas game...if only hed get more chances as a reciever.
I mean this seriously but it will sound smart-ass: He's not a receiver because he can't catch. It's harder than it looks and many just can't do it. That's why they end up at defensive back. At least there it doesn't matter in the slightest what kind of hands you have.

bamaupsman said:
ACL11190 said:
i never noticed that arenas caught a td in the arkansas game...if only hed get more chances as a reciever.
I mean this seriously but it will sound smart-ass: He's not a receiver because he can't catch. It's harder than it looks and many just can't do it. That's why they end up at defensive back. At least there it doesn't matter in the slightest what kind of hands you have.

Just curious, but what has given you the impression that he can't catch?

Porterhouse said:
ACL11190 said:
I have been trying to figure out why they dont atleast give him a shot as a reciever or a halfback....its obvious hes a great playmaker...

Down the road, they might do that, but right now he is more needed from a depth standpoint at defensive back.

I've heard rumours that he might be used like Percy Harvin at Florida.

Nah I just made that up, but that would be pretty sweet. :lol:

I can't find the link, but I read an article earlier this week where Saban said he may use Arenas on offense later in the season.

Bama Bo said:
I can't find the link, but I read an article earlier this week where Saban said he may use Arenas on offense later in the season.

I read the same article Bo. I'm thinking we might see him down the road in a big game just to catch the D off guard (i.e. LSU or Auburn).

BamaDelta said:
Bama Bo said:

I read the same article Bo. I'm thinking we might see him down the road in a big game just to catch the D off guard (i.e. LSU or Auburn).

Saban said during his Monday press conference that there are position on offense where he could contribute to the team, but that it wasn't necessary to move him right now, though it could be later on (possibly this season). I'm sure that the beat writers all picked up on that on printed it Tuesday. For those that missed it though, that is pretty much what he said.

Porterhouse said:
bamaupsman said:
ACL11190 said:

The fact that he never plays receiver but does play d-back. With his speed, if he could catch, he would be playing receiver. He does return, but that's not really anything like playing reciever.

bamaupsman said:
Porterhouse said:
bamaupsman said:
ACL11190 said:

The fact that he never plays receiver but does play d-back. With his speed, if he could catch, he would be playing receiver. He does return, but that's not really anything like playing reciever.

That's just an assumption on you part. BAMA has some very good receivers, and depth at that position is not needed. Just because you play DB doesn't mean you can't catch. It just means that you can cover the opposing WRs and make big plays when needed.

Anybody know what his vertical is? With his limited height he needs to be able to go up for a ball. Remember, JPW isn't Dan Marino when it comes to passing accuracy. We need guys like DJ Hall that are capable of going up and getting a ball that's over or underthrown. My guess is that Arenas possessed those skills, he'd get some time at receiver.

I wouldn't be surpirsed to see him line up for an end around once in a while but that would only work a few times.

He would have great value as a decoy. Putting him in the slot where he might catch a quick screen could mean one less man covering DJ down the field.

Back
Top Bottom